UKC

Hope 5.1 Mountain Bike Wheelset

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Horse 22 Sep 2008
I am interested if anyone has experience of the above. In particular which tyres are use(name and size) with the wheels and how easy you find to put the tyre on and off the rim. I reckon it should take less than a minute to put on or take a tyre off the rim using standard tyre levers.

I ask because I am having trouble getting tyres on and off the wheel. I have tried Continental at 2.1 and 2.3 and similar sized Panaracer. Getting a 2.3 inch tyre on the rear rim is all but impossible and the best time on for the front is about 7 minutes with some fancy 3 lever work and the loss of blood is leaving me feint.
 Mikkel 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Horse:

What rims is it? Is it the DT swiss ones?
Ebygomm have dt swiss rims, which are same size as my Mavic ones but its much harder work to put tyres on the Swiss (this is using same tyres)

I think its a curse they put on them in the Factory.
OP Horse 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Mokkel:

Indeed DT Swiss.

Hard work is bad enough; blood, bruises and failure another even with big fat tyre levers. And this is in the comfort of my garage.
 Mikkel 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Horse:
Is it folding or wirebead tyres?
OP Horse 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Mokkel:

Wire bead.
 Oli 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Horse: Are these the fancy straight-pull wheels?
 Oli 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Horse: I've always wanted some Pro 2 hubs, but never been able to justify it yet. Secretly I'm disappointed as I thought these were going to be the cool straight pull, 3 bolt rotor wheels.

Mikkel 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Oli:

I wanted to try some straight pull spoke wheels, as i kept breaking spokes at the bend.
So have bought a set of Mavic crosstrail, which are very cheap for what you get.

And they are not as loud as the Hope hubs.
 Mikkel 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Horse:
I cant come up with any good ideas other than try some different tyres.
Have had specialized tyres for almost 2 years and always found them realy easy to get on. They are folding ones which always seems to make it a bit easier than wire beads. I can put them on without using tyre levers, and just need to flip out first bit, then i can take them off only using my fingers.
OP Horse 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Mokkel:
> (In reply to Horse)
> I can put them on without using tyre levers, and just need to flip out first bit, then i can take them off only using my fingers.

To my mind that is how it should be. I have Continental ones for round here as they are good in the mud. What p*sses me off is nothing from Hope or DT Swiss says anything about fitting tyres being a potential pain.

The Pro 2 hub noise is not that bad and is good for warning horses and dog walkers one is about to come by at speed.
 Mikkel 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Horse:

And when going at speeds, where you dont have to pedal, the wind in your ears usualy mean you cant hear it anyway
 Oli 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Mokkel: I quite like the noise of a clicking hub, especially on a DH bike. Something comforting about it...
 Mikkel 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Oli: You mean, when the clicking stop, you know you have lost the rear wheel?
 jamestheyip 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Horse:

Have you try Fairy liquid? When I replace my motorcycle tyres I smear some on the rims before I lever the tyres off and back on. A trick told by some mechanics which works for me. Some guys can do it without any levers. I Never had problems with bicycle tyres but the motorbike tyres are about 10 times harder and that's the only way I could manage.
 Tiggs 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Horse: <looks bemused at total content of this thread> This is what men must feel like when women talk about knitting patterns......

OP Horse 22 Sep 2008
In reply to jamestheyip:

I had thought of that but not tried it, not something I keep in the puncture repair kit for use in the field.
 Mikkel 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Tiggs:

Hehehe, I can follow a conversation about knitting patterns in Danish (my mum is a crazed knitting machine) but dont think i could understand a thing if its in English.
OP Horse 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Tiggs:

You mean your shed wall is not decorated the vital statistics, component lists and spare parts for all things with two wheels? Strange shed.
 Tiggs 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Horse: I have things with prongs and blades in my shed.....
Franklin the pedantic cat 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Horse:

>
shed wall is not decorated the vital statistics, component lists and spare parts for all things with two wheels?

Bugger.

I live in a parallel (sp) world!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...