UKC

East Greenland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jeff s 19 Dec 2002
Hi,

There are currently 2 places available on an expedition to Knud Rasmussen Land, leaving the UK on 10th June 2003 returning on the 25th July 2003
This area is situated on the very edge of the Greenland icecap, 40 kms to the northeast of the Watkins Mountains, at 69 degrees N.
The ranges comprise of unclimbed peaks up to 3,000m with up to 600m vertical height gain from basecamps to summits.

Scottish winter / Summer Alpine experience is essential, if interested email me asap.

Regards,
Jeff
surfer bob 19 Dec 2002
In reply to Jeff s:

What's the deal? Private expedition? Cost? Tell me more - very interested.
Jeff s 19 Dec 2002
In reply to surfer bob:

Yep it’s a private expedition; cost is ~£3000 covering flights / logistics and insurance for the duration. (6 weeks in the area)
In general it will involve basic ski touring over easy terrain and snow / ice climbing of about grade I-III (Scottish).
Any rock on the arêtes in the area will be suspect, so climbing in mountain boots to VD/VS on a pile of choss is to be expected.
All peaks climbed will be first assents.
Tim Rogers 19 Dec 2002
In reply to Jeff s:
Really interested in this. Currently taking time out after uni and had seriously considered a trip to Greenland around this time. Please get in touch and give me more specific details. Cheers,

Tim
Jeff s 22 Dec 2002
In reply to Tim Rogers:

Have replied, check your email

Jeff
urban warrior 26 Dec 2002
In reply to Jeff s:
3 grand?
seems a tad steep, have you tried linking up with another group to share the twin otter flights/ chieftain air drops etc? been twice , four weeks in '99 and six weeks in 2000. Both for less than £1500. Check out the reports: www.wayupnorth.clara.co.uk. Mind you there was the small factor of MEF and BMC sponsorship etc. Try tangent expeditions to find chance of sharing flight costs, i.e they fly out as you fly back or vice versa.
good luck,
let us know how you get on boss.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...