UKC

who has seperate gear for indoor climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Undertow 01 Oct 2008
i know some people have seperate gear, especialy quickdraws, for indoors.

so who does and why?
 Alex Roddie 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow:
Not I, can't afford to buy new stuff for indoors, although I can understand why people would want different shoes for indoors and outdoors stuff.

Most of the lead climbs I've done indoors have had quickdraws already fixed...
 muppetfilter 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: I still burn with desire for you alex... Phoenix or not i must have you... The love that dare not speak its name... and i dont mean Limestone.
 James_D 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow:

i've got a 30m rope specifically for indoors. i bought it when i only climbed indoors, but its still better than carrying one 2ce the length to a 10m indoor wall.

Different shoes for different terrain makes a lot of sense to me, but i cant afford one decent pair at the moment!

I'm still to climb at a wall without in-situ draws, but buying another 10, at maybe 5-10 quid each, sounds a bit excessive.

Mark Stevenson 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow: I've got a range of climbing equipment some of which gets used indoors and some that doesn't, however the only thing that was bought with a partial view to indoor use was my short rope (33 metres).

Using a high performance 60/70 metre sport rope indoors doesn't make the slightest sense, when you can get a more robust short rope for only 40 quid.

That said, the rope in question has had plenty of use outdoors as well, on stuff from gritstone to slate to 1000' VS mountain routes in Scotland.
 Alex Roddie 01 Oct 2008
In reply to muppetfilter:
> (In reply to Alex Roddie) I still burn with desire for you alex... Phoenix or not i must have you... The love that dare not speak its name... and i dont mean Limestone.

Wot, you mean ... *whispers* bouldering?!
 lithos 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow:

yep, short old rope about to be replaced with a short new rope i have in the box
and some old skool QDs so i dont trash my lightweight krabs on the bolts,
but most routes have em in so dont us em much.

but a actually the real answer is "Yes, I use Cef's "
 James Oswald 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow:
Yes.
Seperate shoes for indoors as i wore them too much and got holes in the toes.
In reply to Undertow: I have a small indoor rope (30M). I got this so i didnt have to run through 50/60 metres of rope before every climb. Just lazy i suppose.
 galpinos 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow:

Indoor shoes, ie cheap/old ones, so I don't trash the toes of my good shoes.

I might get a short rope too.
 gingerdave13 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow: short rope - most useful for indoor stuff..
otherwise nope!
Bogsy 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
> (In reply to muppetfilter)
> [...]
>
> Wot, you mean ... *whispers* bouldering?!

Pervert!
 Monk 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow:

i have a 30m rope for indoors, and I use different shoes sometimes. However, although not specifically related, I do have a pretty much seperate sport climbing rack and harness that I use indoors too. I have a smaller, less adjustable harness for sport, with fewer gear loops and use a mixture of my older, heavier solid gate QDs and sport-dedicated QDs (such as Mambas) for sport, so I guess that could be the same thing.
 muppetfilter 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Bogsy:
> (In reply to Alex Roddie)
> [...]
>
> Pervert!

You would know......
In reply to Undertow:

Yes a separate set of everything - the main reason is so I don't have to remember to move them between bags.
30m rope - split a 60m rope with someone else
large comfy shoes - so I don't trash outside ones and can wear them for hours without pain
harness and belay - are spares
chalk bag - crag booty
 kipper12 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow:

I do to a degree. I keep a "best" pair of shoes for outside, and when they have sen better days they move indoors and buy a new pair for outside, also use a smaller and less expensive rope for indoors too.
 Paul Bowen 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow:

Complete set of seperate kit for sport/indoors, harness with non adjustable leg loops, dedicated QD'S short rope, different shoes,belay device the lot,ikea bag to keep it all in so i can grab it at anytime without having to think
 Simon Holden 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow: I use longer light weight quik drws for out side and more sturdy short ones for indoors. I use an autolocking big crab with a big belay when indoors compared to a bugette and light weith screw gate for outdoors. Just try to minimize weight for outdoors and multipitch whereas indoors weight doesn't count so much. I only use a single rope for indoors and sports routes, 2 half ropes for outdoors.
 chrisbaggy 01 Oct 2008
In reply to Undertow: i have a 30m rope solely for indoors, i figured that if i used my 50m indoors then i would be wasting the 20m extra i paid for when it comes to replacing it. as indoors i fall more than outside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...