UKC

Berghaus Yeti Gaiters - An Impossible Task?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Axel Smeets 04 Oct 2008
Right. My Berghaus Yeti Gaiters arrived this morning. I have size 47 Scarpa Vegas. I have briefly tried fitting them. Its like pi$$ing in the wind! Anyone managed to fit a pair (size XL) on a siimlar size boot to my Vegas.

I searched the forums and noticed a thread with a chap giving a technique to use but I just cant see it working without ripping the damn things. Any advice MASSIVELY appreciated!!

Cheers folks
 Andy Nisbet 04 Oct 2008
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Pull up and over the toe last. This should be the only hard bit. Have the boot heel on the floor with the toe pointing up. Stand in the heel (with a bare foot) and then you can pull and stretch the rubber up amd over the toe using your whole arm and back. Hope that makes sense; a picture would describe it easily!
loopyone 04 Oct 2008
In reply to Axel Smeets: i feed the toe of the boot right through the toe bit from above, put the boot down inside the gaiter, then pull the gaiter heel section up over the boot heel. Toe then just rolls down over the boot toe.
marmot hunter 04 Oct 2008
In reply to tatty112:
Try putting the rubber rand in quite hot water for a while to increase pliability
 space monkey 04 Oct 2008
In reply to andyhodges: I use spoons as levers to help get the rubber over the toe. i managed to get them on size 48 too.
 Traveller 04 Oct 2008
In reply to Axel Smeets: We've just spent the morning fitting Yetis to Scarpa Vegas and La Sportiva Spantiks and now have sore fingers. We did get the technique sussed though, as follows....

Before you start, get a hairdyer and heat the rubber until it's nice and supple.

Put the toe of the boot in the gaiter and pull the rand over until it sits in place, the bottom of the rand on the crampon toe welt.

Next, pull the middle section f rubber over the sole until it sits in the middle of the sole between the toe and heel grips. This bit is a bit harder.

Next hook the thin rubber strip between the sole grips as tight as it will go.

Now for the hard bit. We had two people so it made things a bit easier. Pull the heel rubber as hard as you can until its strateched level with whee you want it. Then stick a woode spoon through between the gaiter and boot to hold the gaiter in place. You'l end up with a fold of material so you need to pull this straight, then use the spoon to force the gaiter into place. It takes a bit of effort but it does work - I justhope I've explaned it well enough!
huskyman 04 Oct 2008
In reply to Axel Smeets: i find putting in hot water, putting heel on first, then, heating with a hair dryer - if necessary - pull the toe on. i also cut that bit of rubber in middle of forefoot off, then i can fit to other scapas without forefoot "cut out" that i have.still takes effort but when on, the "dogs". HM
huskyman 04 Oct 2008
In reply to Axel Smeets: i also seen a vidio, somewhere on the 'net of scarpa fitting yeti's, they found that what i described was the "easist/best" ay to fit them! HTH. HM
Jason123 04 Oct 2008
In reply to Axel Smeets:

RVops do good demos of a range of squaddie kit, heres the yeti gaiters vid

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqqWjUnQ_8
OP Axel Smeets 05 Oct 2008
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone. The video link to youtube is particularly useful. I think I'm going to have a go at it later. With my Dad. Who is twice the man I am when it comes to strength despite him being 56
OP Axel Smeets 05 Oct 2008
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Done it. The RVops video is very helpful. Highly recommended. Only 2 fingers are bleeding so not too bad after all!

Thanks a lot everyone for sound advice.
cmp1951 08 Oct 2008
In reply to Axel Smeets:

So you don't have the problem of re-fitting in the hills, with the high probability of getting frost-bitten fingers, don't forget to super glue the toes in place! They will come of again by peeling, but will not come off with normal use.
OP Axel Smeets 08 Oct 2008
In reply to cmp1951:

Can this happen? They look solid as a rock on the front end..... but I'll happily take the advice if it can.

Cheers
 Alex C 09 Oct 2008
In reply to cmp1951: I've seen gaiters slip up before and have heard similar advice but using Coltex skin glue - it's designed to peel and be restuck too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...