UKC

NEW REVIEW: Echo Wall a film by Claire and Dave MacLeod

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 06 Oct 2008
The debut film from the MacLeod family is about to hit the shelves. Dave's obsession with a hard and ferocious line high on Ben Nevis is documented in this intimate film-profile. He climbs perhaps the hardest traditional route in the UK. But is the film any good?

Echo Wall - reviewed by Jack Geldard

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1322
Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival 07 Oct 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

As becomes clear in your review, Echo Wall is an excellent film. Indeed, it has been short-listed as a finalist in both the 'Best Film' and 'Best Climbing Film' categories of the Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival - which is where the film will have its world premiere on Sunday 19th October. See http://www.emff.co.uk for details.

Time will tell if it wins the awards but, having seen the film as well, I was very impressed. It's possible that Jack may have seen the 'low res' version as early review copies were issued in this format, and that would explain some of the production issues referred to. But, personally, I found the film gripping from start to end and would highly recommend it to anyone. And on the big screen at the festivals, it will be awesome.
 Col Allott 22 Oct 2008
Awesome! This film proves Dave is half scotsman, half gecko. on another planet. Can't help but think the real star of this film is Claire M. was quite upset when he drove off without her!
 petestack 22 Oct 2008
> The debut film from the MacLeod family is about to hit the shelves.

Got mine this morning and watched it twice already.

How anyone can be that good is beyond me, but he is...

Oh yes, and it's a pretty good film too (so kudos to Claire as well)!
 J Brown 23 Oct 2008

Watched my copy last night - I thought it was superb. I was probably looking forward to On Sight more, but I think Echo Wall pipped it, absolutely fantastic. The interview with Jimmy Marshall in the extras is a treat.

Congratulations to Claire and Dave.
 220bpm 23 Oct 2008
In reply to J Brown: I haven't had time to catch the extras yet, but the main event was pretty staggering to watch!

I remember being stunned at the time when I heard Dave had pulled it off so quickly, and after seeing the route in some detail I'm amazed he went anywhere near it at all!

Think I may have preferred to see the actual climbing minus the pipe music, but a minor detail.

Top job Mr & Mrs Mac, really impressed
 catt 23 Oct 2008

Yes, had my copy waiting on me when I got home yesterday. I was impressed, for first time film makers it's really good. But what I really liked was the whole story it told. By the time it got to his lead I was genuinely nervous even though I knew the outcome. Dave looking back at Claire right before going for the most dangerous bit. I thought the Jimmy Marshall bit was excellent too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...