UKC

Annual halloween event - night bouldering & pumpkin competit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fidget 07 Oct 2008
Come join us on the annual Halloween night-time bouldering and pumpkin competition extravaganza (I need an acronym, that title is far too long, don't think HNBAPCE works though, hmmm)!

It will follow the same format as before - boulder by torch & pumpkin light until we get cold or wet (previous years we've got a surprising amount done), then head to the pub and judge the pumpkins. It's on a Friday this time so not a school night.

A carved pumpkin is compulsory (there's a topical prize for the best!), fancy dress is optional but some of us will be coming on costume at least. Last year's venue was Roaches Upper Tier, the year before was Roaches Lower... this year we'll be heading East to Stanage Plantation for a bit of variation and hopefully more attendees, 6:30 onwards. Head for the lights! The pub will be decided at the boulders.

Last year we doubled the number of attendees from the year before (6 then 12), it would be great to double it again! So please come and join us if you can, any and all welcome, I'm off on holiday the next day and chose my holiday dates especially so this event could happen again

A small selection of photos from previous years is available here:
http://www.esnips.com/web/HalloweenBouldering
The full set from last year is here:
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/27997379
OP Fidget 07 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough:

Title got abbreviated. It's a pumpkin competition. Not anything to do with tits!
 1234None 07 Oct 2008
> (In reply to Sarah_Clough)
>
> Title got abbreviated. It's a pumpkin competition. Not anything to do with tits!

Damn...

I'll come anyway - even if it aint about tits

As much as I'm morally opposed to bouldering and have no artistic talents whatsoever, I'll be there
 Caralynh 07 Oct 2008
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Ditto. I'm not working Fri
I'm working the Saturday, but not until lunchtime, I don't think, so happy to come and play. Will have to find a new costume this year. I broke my trident last year, and snagged my tail
 James Oswald 07 Oct 2008
I almost asked when it was
OP Fidget 08 Oct 2008
In reply to Peak DJ, Victim and Caralynr:

Brill!
 Little Brew 08 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: I really will make it to one of this one year i promiss!!!! but this year i will be over the water for the blokes birtday the next day! sorry!!! hope you have a good time!

Jess.x
 climbingrick 08 Oct 2008

Sounds like a great idea,

I’ll be coming from Sheffield and am bus bound so can arrange a bus stop meet if people like. Or better yet if there are any spare seats in cars going???

Ricky
 PontiusPirate 08 Oct 2008

Sarah,

damn shame that this is just a little too far for me to come down from Bratfud in time...

Later,

PP.
OP Fidget 08 Oct 2008
In reply to Ricky Nos:

Hopefully somebody will offer you a lift out. I'm coming from Stoke otherwise I would.
 foxyloxy 08 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: This sounds like a great idea. If its not raining and I can blag a lift ill defo be there, pumpkin an all.
OP Fidget 09 Oct 2008
In reply to foxyloxy:

Brill.
OP Fidget 12 Oct 2008
In reply to PontiusPirate:

I'm sure you could be there in almost the same time that I could. Well... maybe. If you travelled in non rush hour and I travelled in rush hour. Except... we'd need some kind of time travel device then. Or something.
 SV 13 Oct 2008

Count me in too...
I'll do my best on the pumpkin carving front - my skills in that department are better than my bouldering skills at the moment!
 Liam Copley 13 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: sounds good, me and all my mates will be there, so thats...6/7 maybe 8 of us coming..but when is it??
 Liam Copley 13 Oct 2008
In reply to Liam Copley: ahhhhhhhhhh dont mind me, im tired!
 Liam Copley 13 Oct 2008
its obviously the nearest friday to haloween, or the haloween night...i dont follow dates much lol
OP Fidget 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

It's on Halloween itself, 31st October, same every year!
In reply to Sarah_Clough: sounds rad. will probably be in the peak then. see how it goes ey?
OP Fidget 16 Oct 2008
In reply to sc2004:

> I'll do my best on the pumpkin carving front - my skills in that department are better than my bouldering skills at the moment!

I ought to start thinking up a design! Wasn't that pleased with my one last year, the design was okay but there was too much empty space round it, so it didn't light up well. I preferred my one from the year before, the scream face with spikey hair and a dagger in the next from the photos.

OP Fidget 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Nice one! Would be cool to catch up. You need somewhere to stay? Although will have to boot you out in the morning so I can go on holiday.
 SV 16 Oct 2008
> (In reply to sc2004)
>
> [...]
>
> I ought to start thinking up a design! Wasn't that pleased with my one last year, the design was okay but there was too much empty space round it, so it didn't light up well. I preferred my one from the year before, the scream face with spikey hair and a dagger in the next from the photos.

Right-ho. I'd best get my thinking cap on. It seems the standard might be a little higher than I'd anticipated!
OP Fidget 17 Oct 2008
In reply to sc2004:

> It seems the standard might be a little higher than I'd anticipated!

Not really, anything goes!
 Shani 23 Oct 2008

Is this event still on? I told my kids that there was a Halloween gathering of lantern-carrying wizards and witches whom we could watch, out on rocks at Stanage....
Clauso 23 Oct 2008

Can I come dressed in my owl suit, or is it a pumpkin/witch only affair?
 Liam Copley 23 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: me and my friends are coming, and will be staying, but we dont know where lol can anybody reccommend me and 3 other people a place to sleep, a cave would be a last resort (we will be bringing tents etc but do not have the money to pay for a campsite)
OP Fidget 24 Oct 2008
Shani - yes, definitely still on! Can't guarantee how many people will be in fancy dress, but EVERYONE's meant to be bringing a pumpkin!

Darren - owls more than welcome

Liam - there's always Robin Hood's cave!
Jamming Dodger 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: Put me down for this too.
OP Fidget 25 Oct 2008
In reply to skivingbluecat:

Nice one! Will be nice to meet you.
 Shani 25 Oct 2008
In reply to Clauso:
>
> Can I come dressed in my owl suit, or is it a pumpkin/witch only affair?

I have just told my kids there will be a fricken huge owl at the gathering as well....you'd better be there in full-on owl-kit!
 1234None 25 Oct 2008

Hi H - need a place to stay? Let me know if you do... Also, d'you need a lift from the station or anything?
Jamming Dodger 25 Oct 2008
In reply to 1234None: Hiya,
Ive got the car now so can ferry myself to the plantation. Ill have to come over straight from work, prob arrive about seven. Place to stay would be good though, cheers
Must buy a decent headtorch this week. Ive been looking at the pumpkin pictures from last year, i fear the competition will be strong :s
 1234None 25 Oct 2008

OK - place to stay no probs - I can provide comfortable floorspace Fancy doing 2 pumpkins?
 Barra 25 Oct 2008

Hi Chick,

I may be up for it...?

All weather dependant as I'll be coming up on the bike!

However, as I'll be travelling on the bike there's no way I can bring a pumpkin...

I could stick a camping lantern in my bike helmet?

Would that be acceptable?

Luv Barra! xx

BelleVedere 25 Oct 2008
In reply to Barra:

do a turnip or a carrot instead - they are smaller
 Liam Copley 25 Oct 2008
Underneath the pebble or in the cave it is then
 Anni 27 Oct 2008

Another two maybes here, will decide later in the week but pretty sure me and Ava could make it. Really dont have time to do a pumpkin with all the work I have on this week, but think I should be able to manage some kind of fancy dress....

....anyone caught saying Im scary enough as it is will be eviscerated with a spork.

In reply to Anni:

You don't need fancy dress you're sc......oh.....Ooops.

By the way, what on earth is a "spork"?????

I'm just coming as me. I know I'm scary and I liiiiike it.
In reply to sutty:

Does Anni know you have that naked shot of her?

sutty 27 Oct 2008
In reply to Ava Adore:

Nope, it is off the anorexics anonymous meetings site, showing what happens if you do not eat your crusts.
Profanisaurus Rex 27 Oct 2008
In reply to Ava Adore:

Spork is what posh people call spam.
In reply to Masood:

Anni's going to eviscerate me with spam? Coo. That I gotta see.
OP Fidget 27 Oct 2008
In reply to Barra:

You can carve any fruit or veg, how about an Orange! Will that fit on the bike?
OP Fidget 27 Oct 2008
In reply to Ava Adore:

> I'm just coming as me.

You plus a pumpkin I hope

Anni - I'll think up a suitable forfeit for those that don't bring carved goods, mwa ha ha
 MattT88 28 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: This sounds cool. Might have to see if I can come over. Would probably be coming over from Stoke then staying in Sheffield with my girlfriend. Will have to see if I can make it after my lectures.
 stuckonarock 28 Oct 2008

I can’t make it on Friday but can I enter the competition by proxy please??!
OP Fidget 28 Oct 2008
In reply to MattT88:

I can provide a lift over if you get get to Smallthorne for 5:10...
OP Fidget 28 Oct 2008
In reply to stuckonarock:

Errr, I guess so! How would that work then?
 Jonny M 28 Oct 2008

How about 'Pumpkin Bouldering' as a name? ...Though that might confuse some folks...

AJM 28 Oct 2008

If I decide that the Peak looks better than Pembroke/Cornwall for my weekend trip I may try and turn up. Carving a pumpkin whilst driving could be tricky mind.....

Howre you anyway?

AJM
 Wonrek 28 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: A maybe here if the other half will have baby (or we might bring him along as an effigy? Oh that's bonfire night isn't it, dam!)

So a maybe from me, would be good to meet everyone.

Cx
 Liam Copley 28 Oct 2008
Is there anybody else sleeping at the crag that night? me and my mates are, and was wondering if we will be the only ones that will be freezing to death underneath the pebble convincing ourselves 'its worth it' .......?
I don't really like bouldering. Or pumpkins. Should I come anyway? =os
 Liam Copley 28 Oct 2008
In reply to highaltitudebarista: yeah, i reccommend you do! even if you dont like bouldering or pumpkins im sure you still like alcohol
 Wonrek 28 Oct 2008
In reply to Clears: Seriously though, would anyone have issue with us bringing a (well wrapped up) toddler?

Cx

He's already showing signs of climbing interest (something to do with being dragged along to the crag
 Shani 29 Oct 2008
In reply to Clears:

I am bringing a wife, a 4 y.o and a 17 month old child (as long as it is not raining!

Anyone know the time of the human sacrifice?
OP Fidget 29 Oct 2008
AJM - I'm good thanks! Would be nice to catch up
Clears - no burning husbands, bad Clears! Todlers welcome of course.
Liam - I expect it'll just be you, but don't let that stop you
Mr K - yes, come! Do you like good company and antics?
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
>
> [...]
>
> You plus a pumpkin I hope
>
Sadly, the pumpkin will be lacking. It will be there in spirit. It will be a ghost pumpkin.
 Oceanic 30 Oct 2008
In reply to Ricky Nos:

Ricky - I've lost your number but I'm trying to get it off Emma, I could pick you up at 6.15 if you still need a lift?

Sarah - I'm coming too! Panda has a hair appointment so unfortunately she can't come.

Cara - It will be good to catch up, I will bring your books .
 Rock Fairy 30 Oct 2008
Just been on phone wi Clears.
Layla & I may be along as well
Oh I do like being on-line again!
 Reaver2k 30 Oct 2008

Almost certainly going to be there but won't have time to carve a pumpkin! Will have to take the trick.
OP Fidget 31 Oct 2008

To additional attendees - yay! Disapointed by lack of pumpkins though, which part of com-pul-sory did you not get

Forecast not looking too bad. If it rains lots, head for the Scotsmans Pack, but it won't! It will probably just be blinking freezing instead, brrrrr, wrap up warm! Every seen a witch in a belay jacket and a beanie? You will tomorrow!
 Flicka 31 Oct 2008

Beautiful morning here today Hope it holds for you. Have fun!
 Al Evans 31 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: Hope it goes well for you Sarah, and that the weather is kind.
Al
>
> Disapointed by lack of pumpkins though, which part of com-pul-sory did you not get
>
>
Ah. OK. Well I'll give it a miss this year then and hopefully next year have more time to enter into the full spirit of it with suitably carved pumpkin and fancy dress! Have a good night, all.
 Anni 31 Oct 2008

Ava ducking out is my fault, Im poorly and stealing her to keep me company so I dont feel so sorry for myself. That and shes a wuss when it comes to getting cold. At least I have a proper reason! :oP

Hope you all have fun
 anansie 31 Oct 2008

Have a blast all! And mind and take loads of photos you lot! I'll be taking photos of the nuttiness that'll be here..mines'll be messier i expect, lol!

P.s..Wrap up warm!
 popebenedictus 31 Oct 2008

Having looked at the weather I think I'll pop along.

Wonrek 31 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: We're coming (along with small person) and we're dragging along Rose (n Layla) oh and yes we have pumpkins!

Yippee!

Cx
OP Fidget 31 Oct 2008
In reply to Ava Adore:

No no, don't back out! I put a smiley!
OP Fidget 31 Oct 2008
In reply to Anni:

I'll ill too, that's no excuse
 captainH 31 Oct 2008

I might be along to this if I can get my car out of my driveway today
I've been blocked in by an absentee white van driver
 Chris the Tall 31 Oct 2008
Just in case this hasn't been pointed out to you - don't park in the plantation car park as it gets locked at dusk.

I suspect the warden won't actually lock it if there are cars in there, but he might come looking for the owners.

Oh, and make sure any fires stay within the pumpkins
 Anni 31 Oct 2008

Unfortunately my manky kidneys trump your sniffles! :oP

Looks like the wine is going in dinner and nowhere else this evening. *sob*
 MattT88 31 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: don't think I can make it. To close to my lecture which finishes at 5. Hopefully next year. Hope have nice night
 Caralynh 31 Oct 2008
In reply to MattT88:

Sorry all, I'm off sick at the mo and can't make it. Was hoping to be better, but I'm not.
Steve - can you give my books to Jez, who will be there, with costume (well, hat) and pumpkin?

Hope to be out and about again soonish

C
 Dan Lane 31 Oct 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: I have just come down from a good days bouldering and i bumped into the warden and he said the gate WOULD be locked and also he didnt seem to happy about the whole thing.

Dan
 pog100 01 Nov 2008
In reply to dan lane:

Thanks very much to Sarah for a really enjoyable and atmospheric evening.

Very chilled, mellow and completely trauma free, as such things should be. The Warden doesn't have anything to worry about.

Look forward to next year, which I guess also should be a school night.

Mike
OP Fidget 01 Nov 2008

Thanks to everyone that came, what an amazing turnout, 45 people! (and that's just those whose names I got). I'll post the photos when I'm back from holiday.

I did a quick sweep as well as I could with a headtorch and there didn't seem to be a single bit of debris, everyone was very well behaved, and it wasn't really anything we wouldn't have done in the daylight anyway, so hope it went down okay with the warden (apparently he popped by before I turned up, looking for a rave)
 sutty 01 Nov 2008

Well done lass, getting that number there was good.

Loved the pictures of you on Fawkseys flikr site in the caves, looks like you enjoyed it.
 Oceanic 01 Nov 2008

It was great,

Particular thanks to;

Sarah - for doing a great job of organising.
Everyone who brought a pumpkin (or sweed, or melon)
The youth team for showing me how to do the arete prolem.
 Rock Fairy 01 Nov 2008
Thanks for organising it, Sarah.
Layla says thanks for being voted 5th in the competition.....even though she did vote for herself.

A special thanks to Clears & Mike for dragging me up & getting us all home very early this morning. Great driving through the cone & glass mayhem near J2.
 Reaver2k 01 Nov 2008

Great evening out thoroughly enjoyed, very relaxed atmosphere but with plenty of climbing going on and a lot of encouragement!

Will definitely be there next year!

Cheers
 Shani 01 Nov 2008

Thanks for a great evening. My kids loved it. I wish I had actually bouldered, but merely to attend (and eat cake) was enough for me this year.

The warden was a guy called Bill Gordon and he had received a call that evening saying that there was going to be a 'party' at the crag. He was a bit worried about this naturally. I spoke to him and assured him that no such thing was intended - and that it was a simple bit of night bouldering. I think the presence of my 4yo and 17mo seemed to convince him of the civility of the gathering.

He acknowledged that we were free to boulder at night and that if he had recieved some prior warning he would actually have accommodated us by leaving the gate open and asking the last people leaving the car park to close the gate. This might be something to consider for next year.

He was worried about damage to the area (he said it was an SSSI) and also announced he would be checking the crag for damage and litter (so top marks for all who cleaned up after themselves).

In all he was thoroughly reasonable chap and was last seen racing up to Lawrencefield where he had heard there was going to be a 'rave'. Poor guy.

Cheers again,
 popebenedictus 01 Nov 2008

Sarah thanks for all the work that went into organising last night.
Mike congrats on the pumpkin win and not losing your waterproofs.

Just one minor cause for concern, I had to stop up at the business boulder for a while to clear up all the litter, beer cans and other crap left by certain inconsiderate meet attendees. It was a bit of a shame to see such thoughtless behaviour on an otherwise great night.
 Simon 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Shani:

Glad you all had fun, I was unable to attend as I had the pleasure of being one of the first to be wowed by the new bond flick (it is VERY good!)

Just a note to say that night bouldering is becoming more popular & obviously with it comes an air of suspicion from folk whom don't know what boulderers are up to - (as with any night time activity in the Peak!)

Bill's a very reasonable man and works hand in hand with the BMC with the upkeep and access to the North Lee's Estate, so it was good that everything went off smoothly & that there was no bother.

The only thing of concern is the litter that was left for some poor soul to clean up. If they hadn't done that, then a minority of a thoughtless few would have spolied it for the rest and given the event a bad name, thus ruining all Sarah's hard work.

Litter is the bane of those who try to keep the crags in good shape and therefore we all need to do our bit and not leave it up to someone else to clear up after ourselves.

Thanks for reading & happy bouldering

Si Jacques
BMC access Rep
 Liam Copley 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: was a very fun night and my finger tips are now paying the price for it! well done in organising it, theturnout was pretty good
 jezza2101 01 Nov 2008

Thanks for organising it Sarah, just a shame the traveling and cold, wet weathers screwed up my shoulder again

Then again, there's always next year..
 popebenedictus 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Simon:

Maybe I should name and shame the litter louts?
 Simon 01 Nov 2008
In reply to popebenedictus:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> Maybe I should name and shame the litter louts?

That would be up to you Pope..

Personally If I knew who it was - I'd just have a quiet word with them, no real need to expose on this forum...

As long as they know its poor behavour & the potential impact it may have for the good of the rest!

Si
 Wonrek 02 Nov 2008
In reply to Sarah_Clough: A rather late but very grateful thx from myself, Mike and Roo! We had a great time (displayed by the fact that the small person was brilliantly behaved, even in the pub
Weather dependant we will definately be making the trek up next year and maybe even get a problem or two done then

Thx to Rose n Layla for coming with us and a big one to Mike who avoided a carriageway full of strewn taffic cones and glass on the M5 with finesse. Stupid lorry driver had just swerved into them at 1am (I awoke to see a large cone hurtling towards the front of the car :-S)

Cx

ps we had bags of our rubbish inc stinky nappy :-S that we carried out with us...
 Al Evans 02 Nov 2008
In reply to Clears: Wow, you travelled an impressively long way, almost make me feel a wimp for not making the trip from Spain
 Wonrek 02 Nov 2008
In reply to Al Evans: lol, any distance for the chance to touch rock

And Solihull although a 2hr drive, is a tad closer than Spain!

Cx
OP Fidget 18 Nov 2008
In reply to popebenedictus:

> Just one minor cause for concern, I had to stop up at the business boulder for a while to clear up all the litter, beer cans and other crap left by certain inconsiderate meet attendees. It was a bit of a shame to see such thoughtless behaviour on an otherwise great night.

That's interesting, what time was that? I (and one other, I forget who) had a good look around before leaving, and couldn't see anything, so was going to congratulate everyone for being nice and tidy!
OP Fidget 19 Nov 2008
In reply to Shani:

> Thanks for a great evening. My kids loved it. I wish I had actually bouldered, but merely to attend (and eat cake) was enough for me this year.

Glad you enjoyed it, and shame you had to leave before the masses arrived!

> The warden was a guy called Bill Gordon and he had received a call that evening saying that there was going to be a 'party' at the crag. He was a bit worried about this naturally. I spoke to him and assured him that no such thing was intended - and that it was a simple bit of night bouldering. I think the presence of my 4yo and 17mo seemed to convince him of the civility of the gathering.

> He acknowledged that we were free to boulder at night and that if he had recieved some prior warning he would actually have accommodated us by leaving the gate open and asking the last people leaving the car park to close the gate. This might be something to consider for next year.

Chris The Tall did actually notify him in advance and passed the message on to me that it was okay, although I'm sure he wouldn't have referred to it as a party! I possibly should have contacted him myself, but wasn't aware that a different courtesy was required at night!
OP Fidget 21 Nov 2008

Photos up here:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo_search.php?oid=32265966169&view...
Although I think you have to be registered with facebook to view them, and maybe join the group, sorry about that!
 Rock Fairy 21 Nov 2008
That reminds me.
Mine are here too
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=68996&l=a0cd3&id=663639358
I think its a public album.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...