UKC

NEWS/PHOTOS: Hans and Yuji Break The Nose Record AGAIN: 2:37:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 13 Oct 2008
Hans Florine, 44, of Lafayette, California and Yuji Hirayama, 39, of Hidaka, Japan set a new speed record for climbing the 870m (2900') Nose route on El Cap yesterday with a time of 2 hours, 37 minutes and 5 seconds beating their own 2 hours, 43 minutes and 33 seconds set on July 2nd this year. (UKC...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=10&year=2008#n45377
 nz Cragrat 13 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

uji and partner started off at the base of El Capitan this morning at 10:20 am and topped out on the Nose route at 12:57:03 pm. It was crisp morning and there was a late fall feel in the air.

Fun numbers:

Today time to Sickle ledge: 18 minutes, July 2nd when we did the route in 2:43:33 it took 16:20 to get to sickle.
Today time to Dolt Tower: 46 minutes, July 2nd: 56 minutes.
Today time to Eagle Ledge: 1:04, July 2nd: 1:06
Today to camp 4: 1:28, July 2nd: 1:26
Today to top: 2:37:05, July 2nd: 2:43:33

Today we passed four parties along the route.

Hans
OP Michael Ryan 13 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Is it just me?
 kajsurfer 13 Oct 2008

Did you remove the other thread from the guy who got the scoop? Why?

It's no doubt a good effort but I've not eaten chocolate since 1997 and I beat my record every day. High five! Mind you it probably explains why I'm so miserable.

Cheers, Karl
 Short&Savage 13 Oct 2008
In reply to kajsurfer: yeah I seem to remember a guy posting the new record time late last night (way before climbing.com or yuji hirayama's own blog for that matter). Now that post seems to have disappeared...
In reply to kajsurfer:

I was working on the report last night. We have been following the attempts for the last week or so since Yuji arrived.

Good to have the full story with background (and on our popular News page), from various sources, usually from our affiliates Supertopo and Climbing magazine (of which I am a contributing editor).

Also better to have one thread.

and not forgetting the fantastic Tom Evans!!!!! ( http://www.elcap-pics.com/ ).. who has provided us with the fantastic photos of yesterdays record.
 kajsurfer 13 Oct 2008
In reply to Short&Savage: Yes, I read it about 2.00pm Oztime while munching on some Nacho cheese Shapes and Helga's Soy and Linseed sarnies. That would be 4.00am UK.
 kajsurfer 13 Oct 2008

Looks like this thread's not exactly on fire so how much better than to leave the original scoop?

Who was the guy that revealed it first? Remind me please.
 Short&Savage 13 Oct 2008

Any suitors around for breaking this record? The Hubers have already indicated they won't have another shot at it last time their record was broken by Yuji Hirayama and Hans Florine.

Dean Potter? Leo Houlding? Tommy Caldwell?
 Adam Lincoln 13 Oct 2008

Sharma is out there too, wanting to onsight the nose free. He set off but think he turned back due to crowds.
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

he fell off
In reply to Short&Savage:

Potter or Houlding with a parachute on their backs!!!!!!!

As you probably know Potter has already soloed the Nose.....12: 59

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4832527121139830698

Florine soled it in 11 hours 41 minutes
 Owen W-G 13 Oct 2008
How hard is the Nose in English money?
 Scomuir 13 Oct 2008
How come this thread is listed with "16 of 15 replies"!. Right enough, that will change when i post this.
James Jackson 13 Oct 2008
In reply to Owen W-G:

Yorkshire VDiff.
 Richard Hall 13 Oct 2008
In reply to Owen W-G: C2. Or about E8 free I think.
 GrahamD 13 Oct 2008
In reply to Owen W-G:
> How hard is the Nose in English money?

Bloody hard with Johnny foreigner chomping at your heels all the way up. Bad manners, it is. Personally I'd belt 'em with my number 11 Hex.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Just me then.
 owensum 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Owen W-G:

Only the nose knows how hard the nose goes...
 James Oswald 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Richard Hall:
Isn't the crux pitch 5:14a? According to wiki it is anyway.
OP Michael Ryan 15 Oct 2008
In reply to james oswald:
> (In reply to Richard Hall)
> Isn't the crux pitch 5:14a? According to wiki it is anyway.

Dude

Get with the freakin programme with will you.

The majority of people who do the Nose part free and part aid climb it

5.13c or 5.9 C2

http://www.supertopo.com/rockclimbing/route.html?r=ybelnose

Long, sustained and flawless, the Nose may be the best rock climb in the world; it is certainly the best known. On paper, at 5.9 C1, The Nose sounds easy. It’s not. With over 31 pitches of steep, exposed and strenuous climbing, The Nose is an immense physical and psychological drain. Extensive climbing experience on long routes is mandatory. The failure rate is high. That said, anyone who is deeply committed to training for this climb can do it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...