UKC

NEWS: 'The Route With No Grade' Premiere at Edinburgh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 16 Oct 2008
Scotland's capital sees the start of the three-day Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival, Friday night, 17th October (website).

Held at the George Square Lecture Theatre at Edinburgh University, Sir Chris Bonington is topping the bill to deliver the key note lecture in this year's packed programme that...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=10&year=2008#n45383
 jl100 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I live less than 10 minutes away from this place and go in there most days. Ive heard/seen absolutely nothing about this. Im not interested in such things so wouldn't go if i
had but im sure there must be a fair few people whod be interested in going whove no idea whats going on. The organisers would do well to sort this out i think. Theyd make a lot more money with just 3/4 well placed posters.
Climber_Mark 16 Oct 2008
In reply to JoeL 90:
There are posters all over Alien Rock, Ratho and Tiso stores, and I've just seen a bit on the STV news too. Given that tickets often sell out in advance, they must be doing something right! I have my tickets and am looking forward to it!!
 Andy Moles 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I've seen advertisement everywhere.

As to this 'route with no grade' stuff, it's probably more consciously headline-grabbing than if he'd just given it the expected E12.
 jl100 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Climber_Mark: Im a student why would i waste my money at ratho or alien and why on earth would i ever go in tiso? I guess by that reasoning a student also wouldn't buy tickets for an outdoor lecture but im sure many would if there were some posters around the place. Anyone going to a climbing wall with the recent brilliant weather weve had is either a seriously good climber who trains everyday or someone who needs to get their priorities right. Anyway if its sold out fair enough i take back my criticism of the organisation theyre obviously doing a good job at marketing it.
 Glen 16 Oct 2008

Student in "doesn't know what's going on" shocker!
Climber_Mark 16 Oct 2008
In reply to JoeL 90:
I don't know if they aim the festival at students or not, there always seems to be a mixed crowd there. As for not going to the wall during this beautiful weather ... it doesn't look so good from the inside of an office! It'll come to you one day!! So with it being dark soon after work these days, you'll find that the Edinburgh walls (Alien Rock at least) are pretty busy again. Anyway, I think the forecast is pretty poor this weekend so it's a great excuse to stay in the city.
Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival 16 Oct 2008
In reply to JoeL 90:
I'm sorry that you did not find out until now that the EMFF is on this weekend. We do still have tickets left for all sessions, although they are getting scarce for Sunday evening, when the Echo Wall film is shown.

We don't place many posters around the university because the uni don't let us use official notice boards (because it's not a uni-organised event), and because we don't want to fly poster. When we put posters in pubs and cafes in that area they tend to be covered by the next 'big night out' poster in a day - we learned from experience! We do, however, write to all of the outdoor clubs (mountaineering, walking, skiing, kayaking, etc) at the university and send them details of the festival, along with special ticket offers.

We welcome everyone to the EMFF and usually get a lot students coming along. Feel free to change your mind if the weather is rubbish this weekend!
 catt 17 Oct 2008
In reply to Glen:

Student in "telling people to get their priorities right" shocker!
Climber_Mark 17 Oct 2008
I've just received an e-newsletter from the EMFF which says there are still about 20 tickets left for Sunday night's session with Echo Wall & Bonington. They'll be on sale from tonight at the festival.

Tickets for other sessions seem to be available on the door too.
 jl100 17 Oct 2008
In reply to Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival: Thanks you for taking the time to explain this.
 Craig Geddes 17 Oct 2008
In reply to AMo:
> it's probably more consciously headline-grabbing than if he'd just given it the expected E12.

Oh for goodness sake - what's the guy meant to do. He likes climbing stuff he finds very hard. When he grades it accordingly he is slated so next time he decides not to grade it and he is slated. Give him a break and let him go climbing as he wants.
 Andy Moles 17 Oct 2008
In reply to Craig Geddes:

I was just commenting on the irony of it. Whether or not it's intentional the grade, or conspicuous lack thereof, is what sells the film. I don't blame him for playing to what the public wants, he has to make a living after all. It probably wasn't Dave who called it 'the route with no grade' anyway.
 Andy Moles 17 Oct 2008
In reply to AMo:

Just to clarify what I meant, I was commenting on the sensationalism of the advertisement, not on Dave declining to grade the route.
 Steve McQueen 17 Oct 2008
In reply to JoeL 90: I'm not a student. It's dark when I come out of work. It sometimes rains on the weekend. I need to go to the climbing wall to train. That's if I can fight my way through the 17000 extra student cars on Bristol roads.
 Dave MacLeod 17 Oct 2008
In reply to AMo:
>It probably wasn't Dave who called it 'the route with no grade' anyway.

It definitely wasn't!
 jl100 17 Oct 2008
In reply to Steve McQueen: sorry, i realise it was a rather dumb thing to say.
 Steve McQueen 20 Oct 2008
In reply to JoeL 90: Hey, no worries. Makes me wish I'd done far more climbing when I was a student!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...