UKC

Eiger Nordwand - New film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
adderz 23 Oct 2008
Does anyone know if this film will be released/translated into english? Anyone know who the climbers are in the film?
I'd definitely like to see it!

Oct. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Stomach-churning views down sheer icy rock faces; nail-biting moments with hooks that slip and ropes that drift: ``Nordwand'' (``North Face'') is not for vertigo sufferers.
The film, which comes out in German cinemas today, is loosely adapted by director Philipp Stoelzl from accounts of a real-life, failed attempt to climb the Eiger. Though set in 1936, the Nazi backdrop is not central to the plot, which is a universal tragedy of thwarted ambitions and ill-fated love.
Two fearless young German climbers, Toni Kurz and Andi Hinterstoisser (Benno Fuermann and Florian Lukas) are among the many competing to be the first to conquer the mountain's north face, the ``last problem posed by the Alps.'' It is an 1,800- meter-high wall of ice and rock in the Bernese Oberland, one of Switzerland's most spectacular landscapes.
Their childhood playmate Luise (Johanna Wokalek), a rookie reporter at the Berliner Zeitung, determines to cover the story and arrives in the Alps with her hard-bitten senior colleague Henry Arau (Ulrich Tukur, one of Germany's best screen actors and superb in this.)
The mountaineers set off in fine weather, pursued by two Austrian rivals who fatefully copy their route, and watched breathlessly by the press from the comfort of a hotel terrace below. Atmospherically shot, ``Nordwand'' starts as a classic adventure movie, even dangling the prospect of treasure at the end -- in this case, an Olympic gold medal.
It shifts gear in the second half, turning into a harrowing battle for survival waged against an unrelentingly cruel nature.
Fogs descend, rocks tumble, avalanches thunder, blizzards swirl, perhaps for a little longer than necessary. The ending gives the term cliffhanger new meaning.
The real heroine of this movie is the Eiger herself, shown from below and above in varying lights and weather conditions, indomitable and indifferent.
``Nordwand'' is showing in cinemas across Germany from today. Rating: ***
OP Anonymous 23 Oct 2008
In reply to adderz:
I posted a link to the film website in September and no-one even replied. The trains in Switzerland had adverts hanging above the seats. Either the subject interests no one here or no one saw the post.

Would really like to see it
OP Anonymous 23 Oct 2008
 pebbles 23 Oct 2008
In reply to adderz: wow, sounds tremendous.
Spready 23 Oct 2008
In reply to adderz:
wow - looks really well shot.
It will be on somewhere in the uk but in an independant cinema...and there aren't too many of those left.
I will do a bit of googling!!

Spready 23 Oct 2008
In reply to adderz:
weird! It has an english working title and has been subtitled according to IMDB but it is not on their uk release list.
looks like it will be on DVD within 3 months or so!

look forward to seeing it though.

In reply to adderz:

It's been advertised a lot here in Augsburg. The local Cinestar even made space among its interminable shitty blackbusters. Fully intend to go, but I hope the speech is not too crucial to enjoying it.
 Tom Last 23 Oct 2008
In reply to Spready:
> (In reply to adderz)
> weird! It has an english working title and has been subtitled according to IMDB but it is not on their uk release list.
> looks like it will be on DVD within 3 months or so!
>
> look forward to seeing it though.

English working title 'North Face' sounds crap, might as well make it a literal translation and call it 'North Wall', sounds much better.
 jayjackson 23 Oct 2008
In reply to adderz:

Wow, looks awesome. Will definately be getting my hands on that when it comes out on DVD. Hopefully catch it at a local arts Cinema too.

Some great filming there - I know the story so even watching it in low quality and without sound (rubbish internet connection!) I was picking up bit here and there! Can't wait.
Ackbar 11 Nov 2008
In reply to adderz: Saw this film on the weekend here in Vienna. Unfortunately my German sucks but I could follow it o.k thanks to Heinrich Harrer's White Spider. It is a very good film. Very atmospheric, good acting, good story (although obviously they had to throw in a love story as well). There are some amazing shots of the face. Not too much climbing shots but enough. Gives you a good idea (I think).

2 issues however. 1st is that the actor who plays toni kruz looks like andi hintertoisser and the guy that plays andi hintertoisser looks like toni kruz. Strange casting decision there. 2nd issue is that it makes the austrian climbers who were climbing with them look completely incompetent and the cause of everything. Not really fair I think. Also they have a viennese accent and I'm pretty sure they did not come from Vienna.

Good film though and would like to see it with english subtitles.

In reply to Ackbar: I'd love to see it, but who's "toni kruz"?
Ackbar 11 Nov 2008
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: It's German for Tom Cruise (the greatest climber of our time?)
 viking 11 Nov 2008
In reply to adderz:

there's a german film festival in london in a week or two's time - it's on during that

i think that it's on at the curzon

in fact:

http://www.germanfilmfestival.co.uk/
Removed User 11 Nov 2008
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:
> (In reply to Ackbar) I'd love to see it, but who's "toni kruz"?

German father of Penelope.

fishy1 12 Nov 2008
In reply to adderz: Scottish premier is on 22nd november at my local cinema. I fancy seeing this one, might go out climbing for the day then watch it at night.
Lichtgestalt 12 Nov 2008
In reply to adderz:

Just booked my tickets for London.. yipee... how often is the Eiger Nordwand climbed nowadays?
 The Bushman 12 Nov 2008
In reply to Lichtgestalt:

Twice a day: Once in the morning and once in the evening( After meals)
Spready 12 Nov 2008
In reply to adderz:
any idea of how I can search to see what cinemas are going to be showing this?
I am sure one of the Manchester or Sheffield ones will have it on now but have no idea of how to find out.

In reply to adderz: cheers, will look for that when i go over next week.
 Tom G 12 Nov 2008
In reply to The Bushman:
> (In reply to Lichtgestalt)
>
> Twice a day: Once in the morning and once in the evening( After meals)

LOL! Heh heh heh...

Night ascents are becoming popular too, so you can get the sun rising over the exit cracks... Just Jumar up the fixed ropes from the Rote Fluh all the way. Takes about 2-3 hours.

*sarcasm alert*
 g taylor 12 Nov 2008
In reply to adderz: I think the climbers are Stephan Siegrist and Ines Papert
Iris Ordonez 20 Nov 2008
In reply to adderz:

NORTH FACE is showing in the Festival of German Films in London on 4 December. There is a festival website www.germanfilmfestival.co.uk where you can check out the film for full details.

For anyone living in Dublin, the film will be screening at the Irish Film Institute in early December. Website is www.irishfilm.ie

willatts 24 Nov 2008
In reply to adderz:

Nordwand was on as part of the Inverness Film Festival at Eden Court on Saturday. I thought it was excellent as a film, though I cannot comment on its accuracy.
 nick simons 05 Dec 2008
In reply to adderz: Anyone else see this at the Curzon Soho last night? Absolutely fantastic, I thought, in spite of the increasingly intrusive (fictional) love-interest sub-plot. Although when she soloed out of the Stollenloch in the dark my patience was tested. Monkeyrock and I got alot of beer-mileage later separating out the facts as told in The White Spider from the liberties the film-makers took. But, overall, the best climbing drama I've seen. A must-see for climbers. Better than K2, even, which also goes down some soppy avenues, but then none of that is based on fact.
 nick simons 05 Dec 2008
In reply to adderz: And does anybody know what's happened to John Harlin III's 'The Alps' IMAX film? The trailer makes out its mostly about the Eiger nordwand.
Lichtgestalt 05 Dec 2008
In reply to nick simons:
Yep, I've been there and was also busy telling my girlfriend that the woman part was just in the movie but other than that great movie. Her staying out over night in the cold and then soloing upwards to him was a bit over the top imho but that's probably the price you have to pay for making it commercially viable
 PondLife 05 Dec 2008
In reply to nick simons:

It's called "The Alps: Climb of Your Life" and is for sale at Amazon amongst other places. Complete bollox though. Don't waste your money. More like a Swiss tourism film.
Jon from Metrodome 09 Dec 2008
In reply to PondLife:

Hi all,

My name is Jon from UK distributor Metrodome Distribution, and I just spotted this thread online. We are releasing North Face in the UK this Friday after a really nicely received German Film Festival showing at the Curzon Soho.

It's showing at the Odeon Panton Street in London, the Filmhouse in Edinburgh and at the Screen D'Olire in Dublin from Friday.

I'm happy to update any other cinema showings as they are booked if that would be helpful? We release on DVD in April.

Thanks
 stevev 09 Dec 2008
In reply to adderz:

is that in English Jon ?
Wrongfoot 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Jon from Metrodome:

Good stuff I was looking at the Metrodome website to see if I could advise a few friends, and the young lady on this thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=330397

I'm glad that someone picked up this film for UK distribution. Maybe you could pay for a Premier Post to include all the cinemas that show the film as they sign up? It's not a lot for a business and would fit with the site guidelines. Or maybe the site hosts would agree to provide a link on the "News" page especially since many of their users will have an interest in this film? <that's a hint Mick, Al et al.>

Thanks!
Wrongfoot 09 Dec 2008
In reply to stevev:

AFAIK the film is only in German with subtitles see my review http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=330397
 Leelogs 09 Dec 2008
In reply to nick simons:
> (In reply to adderz) Monkeyrock and I got alot of beer-mileage later separating out the facts as told in The White Spider from the liberties the film-makers took.

Is there any mention in the film to the Austrian climbers Angerer and Rainer who were also on the face with Kurz and Hinterstoisser and played an integral part to the story or has their presence been completely erased?
 Leelogs 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Ackbar:
> (In reply to adderz) 2nd issue is that it makes the austrian climbers who were climbing with them look completely incompetent and the cause of everything. Not really fair I think. Also they have a viennese accent and I'm pretty sure they did not come from Vienna.

doh!! just answered my own question by reading the thread properly!!! :0)

And Kurz was Bavarian

robdan 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Jon from Metrodome: Good effort. You wnna advertise it on here plenty of punters will want to go see it. What is the film rating ? PG, 15 ? I will def go and see it, mrs will prob be keen and my 7yr old daughter loves our DVD of beckoning silence and Touching the void (with some of my editing over bad language). Wanted to know if she could see if she can also see it...of if we have to wait for DVD ?
 Matt Faff 10 Dec 2008
Any plans for a showing in Leeds (or anywhere up north)??
 Tall Clare 10 Dec 2008
In reply to Matt Faff:
> (In reply to Jon from Metrodome)
> Any plans for a showing in Leeds (or anywhere up north)??

good call - I want to see it with my brother and he was wondering about nothern screenings.
In reply to Tall Clare: Liverpool or Manchester would be nice, The climbing club would like to do a trip, especially since about 30% of them are german!
adderz 10 Dec 2008
 Tall Clare 10 Dec 2008
In reply to adderz:

Londoners, schmondoners!
 Flicka@work 10 Dec 2008

Any chance of it making it to Sheffield?
 Zygoticgema 10 Dec 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to adderz)
>
> Londoners, schmondoners!

Oi! Less of that!
 Conf#2 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Flicka@work: I hope so!!!!
duntelchaig midge 11 Dec 2008
In reply to adderz:
Alas, I missed its early screening in Inveress as part of the film festival. The only other cinema I can find a listing for is in Edinburgh! Looks like I'll have to wait till it comes out on DVD
 JohnnyW 11 Dec 2008
In reply to adderz:
Booked to see it next week in the 'Burgh..........awhoohoo
Can't wait..........
 jazzyjackson 11 Dec 2008
In reply to JohnnyW:
> (In reply to adderz)
> Booked to see it next week in the 'Burgh..........awhoohoo
> Can't wait..........

mmm, where is it showing, Must see it.
 jazzyjackson 12 Dec 2008
In reply to jazzyjackson:

Filmhouse Lothian road, booked : )

Looks great. 2 hrs.
In reply to adderz: Comes out today (12/12)!! Only showing in one odeon though!!
 jazzyjackson 12 Dec 2008
In reply to tim ward-wilson:

Holy shit, just watched the trailer with the lights down on the big TV with the sound pumped up.

Looks utterly gripping, I sweated just watching it.

The whole Tony Kurtz story commited to film.

http://www.filmhousecinema.com/showing/north-face/

cant wait
 jazzyjackson 12 Dec 2008
In reply to tim ward-wilson:
> (In reply to adderz) Comes out today (12/12)!! Only showing in one odeon though!!

yes its the filmhouse ,2 showings a day till 24th Dec.

Must be seen on the big screen this one.
 jazzyjackson 14 Dec 2008
In reply to jazzyjackson:

Went to see it yesterday.
Beautifully shot, well acted, superb action scenes, hauntingly sad.

Its def the best mountain film I have ever seen, up there with Touching The Void.

See it.

digby 14 Dec 2008
In reply to adderz:

Saw it last night. Not on a par with touching the void. I thought I could live with the love story until at the crux the heroine decided to exit the railway tunnel onto the north face to shout encouragement to a very frozen toni and stayed perched on the ledge all night long. This was ludicrous. The filmmakers have bottled out of making what could so easily have been an honest, gripping and tragic tale. There was no need to try and soup it up with storymaking.

Very disappointed and can't recommend it.
 jazzyjackson 14 Dec 2008
In reply to digby:
> (In reply to adderz)
>
> Saw it last night. Not on a par with touching the void. I thought I could live with the love story until at the crux the heroine decided to exit the railway tunnel onto the north face to shout encouragement to a very frozen toni and stayed perched on the ledge all night long. This was ludicrous. The filmmakers have bottled out of making what could so easily have been an honest, gripping and tragic tale. There was no need to try and soup it up with storymaking.
>
> Very disappointed and can't recommend it.

Thats pretty harsh, I think its perfectly understandable the director wanting to make the story a bit more open to non-climbers or hardcore historical accuracy patrons.

With so few few good mountain films made and horrors like K2 and cliffhanger out there I think this film is a good package.

I think anyone who finds the whole Eiger history fascinating cannot fail to get something out of this film. Its a touching story for the most part accurately told.

You say nothing of the amazing camera work of the action scenes.

Are you disappointed with the lack of car chases perhaps?

Conf#2 14 Dec 2008
In reply to adderz: So definatley comeing nowhere near the north (well, of england that is)? Daym!! hmm... Does this justify a trip down south??
Wrongfoot 14 Dec 2008
In reply to digby:
> I thought I could live with the love story until at the crux the heroine decided to exit the railway tunnel onto the north face to shout encouragement to a very frozen toni and stayed perched on the ledge all night long. This was ludicrous.

Yes it was, I also felt that the Austrians were slightly misrepresented and that there's no evidence to suggest that Toni cut his own rope in a gesture of self-sacrifice.

> The filmmakers have bottled out of making what could so easily have been an honest, gripping and tragic tale. There was no need to try and soup it up with storymaking.

There was every need for a point of reference during the scenes portraying the watching media and public, consider how these would have failed without Luise. So the film is only based upon a true story and "souped-up" anyway which mostly works to its' advantage.

> Very disappointed and can't recommend it.

What kind of reviewer are you? You mention one scene as enough to write the film off against some brilliant mountain cinematography, killer atmospheric soundtrack for starters.

I stand by my 8/10 review in the Culture bunker - with most of the 2 points being lost through the scene you mention above and the others I describe here. Without those it could have been a 9 or 10/10 for me so yes they are terribly disappointing in that respect but no reason to write the film off.

I'm actually hoping that there'll be a directors cut on the eventual DVD with the scene you mention re-edited to be more plausible, which might make this my best climbing feature film ever...

...but don't wait for the DVD folks, those swooping camera mountain scenes should be seen on the big screen.
Wrongfoot 14 Dec 2008
In reply to confusicating:

Email the distributors here http://www.metrodomegroup.com/content.asp?id=6611 and post any northern showings if they get back to you.
 Conf#2 14 Dec 2008
In reply to Wrongfoot: Cheers!
 Monkeyrock 14 Dec 2008
In reply to adderz: Saw it at the German film fest in London. Really enjoyed it. I thought the way they captured the feeling of the face in bad weather was perfect. Excellent attention to detail in the climbing shots. The love story didn't bother me until the end, and by then if your enjoying the film it wont spoil it. Slightly dubious of the way the guides are represented and such a pity they couldn't use the real last words uttered. I don't really think you can compare "Touching cloth" to this film. The North face sets out to be a fictional drama based on a true story, and the other is a feature length documentary, with dramatized sections.
 digby 14 Dec 2008
In reply to Wrongfoot:
> (In reply to digby)

>
> There was every need for a point of reference during the scenes portraying the watching media and public, consider how these would have failed without Luise. So the film is only based upon a true story and "souped-up" anyway which mostly works to its' advantage.
>
No no and no. Truth is everything.
>
> What kind of reviewer are you? You mention one scene as enough to write the film off against some brilliant mountain cinematography, killer atmospheric soundtrack for starters.
>
I disagree. The mountain cinematography was only one step better than the terrible tv cheap habit of rushing waving camera shots that disguise the lack of substance. I had the feeling of everything being glossed over. Yes they obviously had to have mountain scenes, given the premise of the film, but I had the impression they wanted to get them over as quickly as possible for fear of alienating the audience they thought they might have. Its almost classic hollywood caution. Anyway, its none of your business what kind of reviewer I am :-p

> I stand by my 8/10 review in the Culture bunker - with most of the 2 points being lost through the scene you mention above and the others I describe here. Without those it could have been a 9 or 10/10 for me so yes they are terribly disappointing in that respect but no reason to write the film off.
>
The early parts of the film putting in the background were good. The fact that you could get an olympic medal for achieving this sort of endeavor is something that should happen now. The fact that the regime promoted them is true. It felt honest. Though given the ultimate dishonesty who knows. Honesty doesn't preclude drama, and it doesn't have to be a documentary either.

> I'm actually hoping that there'll be a directors cut on the eventual DVD with the scene you mention re-edited to be more plausible, which might make this my best climbing feature film ever...
>
Yeah right. Don't pin your hopes on that.

> ...but don't wait for the DVD folks, those swooping camera mountain scenes should be seen on the big screen.

Don't sit too near the front. You get dizzy reading the subtitles.

One thing I would like to know: was that the actual Hinterstoisser traverse?

flatiron 14 Dec 2008
In reply to digby:

> One thing I would like to know: was that the actual Hinterstoisser traverse?

No, definately not!

nilsselk 16 Dec 2008

Dear Jon

Are there any plans to screen North Face in the Portsmouth area. Myself and several friends would like to see it.

Is the english version dubbed or with subtitles

look forward to hearing from you.

kind regards
Erik Nilssen
 Alex Thompson 18 Dec 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
Playing at National Media Museum (Bradford) in January:
http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/FilmAndImax/film_detail.asp?filmid=82...
 Tall Clare 18 Dec 2008
In reply to Alex Thompson:

brilliant - thanks for this!
 The Bantam 18 Dec 2008

Fantastic! Anyone able to baby sit?!
 Al Evans 18 Dec 2008
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:
> (In reply to Ackbar) I'd love to see it, but who's "toni kruz"?

Thats a troll, yes?
 The Bantam 18 Dec 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Nicholas Livesey)
> [...]
>
> Thats a troll, yes?

No - I think he was an Italian...
craigloon 27 Dec 2008
In reply to adderz: Has anyone seen Louise Osmond's film The Beckoning Silence, also about Kurz's Eiger attempt? Seemingly it's out on DVD... Would be interested to hear how people think the two films compare.
 Monkeyrock 28 Dec 2008
In reply to digby: "No no and no. Truth is everything. "

So what was the 'real' truth? As far as I'm aware everyone died, so how can the real truth ever be represented. Perhaps you feel the same about Sparticus, Schindlers List, The Great Escape, Lorenzo's Oil, Cleopatra, etc etc , perhaps all these great films should never have been made?

This film was never presented to be a truly factual account of the events of that ill fated climb, based on a true story means exactly that, based.

"Don't sit too near the front. You get dizzy reading the subtitles. "

I thought it was truth you where after? As far as I'm aware all the characters were German, I would have thought this would make you happy, as at least they got that bit right.
 digby 28 Dec 2008
In reply to Monkeyrock:

> So what was the 'real' truth? As far as I'm aware everyone died, so how can the real truth ever be represented. Perhaps you feel the same about Sparticus, Schindlers List, The Great Escape, Lorenzo's Oil, Cleopatra, etc etc , perhaps all these great films should never have been made?
>
> This film was never presented to be a truly factual account of the events of that ill fated climb, based on a true story means exactly that, based.

Don't be so silly.
This film is neither one thing nor the other although it showed promise at the beginning. It is neither a great piece of storytelling - fictional or not, nor a riveting documentary (if you would call Touching the Void a documentary). It will not succeed with the audience it was compromised for and it will disappoint climbers who find the whole girlfriend on the ledge business ludicrous. Don't bother travelling long distance to see it. Get the DVD
grindelwald 28 Dec 2008
In reply to craigloon:
No comparison in my opinion. Beckoning Silence is a docu/drama with mountaineers playing the parts of the climbing team. Brilliantly done in all respects.
This new one is just a stock standard B grade movie with some elements of the real story in it. I personally didn't like it all.
 Monkeyrock 28 Dec 2008
In reply to digby: I disagree, the film is clearly 90% fictional. To say it is neither one thing or the other is rubbish. It is a feature film, that bears no resemblance what so ever to a documentary.

And yes I would call touching the void a documentary, as it bears no resemblance what so ever to a fictional feature film.

The story telling is, on the most part excellent, clear and well paced. The fact it doesent tell the story you think it should have done is beside the point.

It already seems to have suceeded in part with it's intended audience.

I agree the girlfriend on the ledge section let the film down as a whole, but it in no way ruins, what is a half decent film.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what particularly was so so bad about it's narrative and what is so "silly" about my reply. You clearly didn't like the film, but your deconstruction of why is very unspecific, apart from your obsession with truth.
 Tom G 03 Jan 2009
In reply to grindelwald:
> (In reply to craigloon)
> No comparison in my opinion. Beckoning Silence is a docu/drama with mountaineers playing the parts of the climbing team. Brilliantly done in all respects.
> This new one is just a stock standard B grade movie with some elements of the real story in it. I personally didn't like it all.

I have to agree on the Beckoning Silence point - the Beckoning Silence portrayed the final struggle of Toni Kurtz, the accident leading to him being alone etc much better and closer to the account in the White Spider. The whole cutting the rope thing was a cheap shot more reminiscent of Vertical Limit (euchhh!) meeting Touching the Void in a Freddy vs Jason kind of way. And the whole romance sitting out on a storm ridden face with no gear thing was cheesy to say the least.

I enjoyed the movie though for what it was - I just found the story better told in the Beckoning Silence.

Just my 2 cents
flatiron 03 Jan 2009
In reply to Tom G:

Knowing all the films about the tragedy of 1936 I have to say that the best film - by far - was done by German filmmaker and climber Gerhard Baur in 1983. It's called "Der Weg ist das Ziel - Die Eigernordwandtragödie von 1936". Unfortunately, there seems to be no English edition available. The film is 90 Minutes long and tells the story as it really happened, with great accuracy. Watching the "Beckoning silence" I was so disappointed that they showed Toni Kurz hanging on the rope in free space on his last night, which of course is so inaccurate. In fact he survived his last night standing on a tiny ledge. There was no need to dramatize his terrible situation. It annoyed me as much as the love story in "Nordwand".
 digby 03 Jan 2009
In reply to Monkeyrock:

Yeah I know you don't get it. This film is going nowhere which is a shame as it started so promisingly.
You can have a good story well told.
You can have a true story well told truthfully.

This film is neither. Maybe in traditional fashion the studio post edited or insisted on the common denominator approach. I don't know.

Half decent is very faint praise. Is that half full or half empty? Either way it's not good enough.

"The fact it doesent tell the story you think it should have done is beside the point."
- that is silly. You say it yourself. It doesn't tell the story.
 Monkeyrock 03 Jan 2009
In reply to digby:

No actually i do get it. Having worked in the film industry for the last 10 years, I really do get it.

Yours is a very common complaint. You want to bend the story that was told in the film into the story you think should have been told. Because it did not tell the story you wanted told, you don't like the film. This does not equal bad storytelling, just a different story than you wanted told. Like a bad newspaper reviewer you have confused what you don't personally like with something that is badly made. I don't particularly like "Titanic", and I certainly don't think it is truthful account of the Titanic sinking, but I would not accuse it of being a badly made film, or telling the story its writer wrote badly.

The only way to ensure you get the story want told, is to write it yourself and see if you can find someone to make it.

Tall Clare 11 Jan 2009
In reply to adderz:

Just seen this at the National Media Museum in Bratfud, where it's playing until next Friday.

Utterly gripping - I had to hide behind my scarf for some bits.

wasn't the actor playing Toni Kurz dashing? Well, until the frostbite set in...

bless my bro's gf for hating it completely and saying 'I can't believe that's what you do at the weekend'. I felt a bit of a letdown as I explained that I've not yet attempted the North Face of the Eiger of a weekend...
In reply to Tall Clare:

...yet?
 Tall Clare 11 Jan 2009
In reply to keithlackie:

never say never!

Alex Thompson 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:
Bunch of us went to see it at Bradford on Wednesday, thought it was a fine film and was willing to go along with the girlfriend side to the story. That was until the end where she climbs out to see Toni on his final night, sleeps out there overnight and then climbs up to cry out to him before his dying breath (whilst the mountain guides look on helpless from below)...
I'm mean WTF?!!
 Tall Clare 16 Jan 2009

what do you mean, the idea of her sleeping out overnight and waking fresh as a daisy was a stretch of the imagination too far? Are you *mad*?
 Trangia 16 Jan 2009
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> Bunch of us went to see it at Bradford on Wednesday, thought it was a fine film and was willing to go along with the girlfriend side to the story. That was until the end where she climbs out to see Toni on his final night, sleeps out there overnight and then climbs up to cry out to him before his dying breath (whilst the mountain guides look on helpless from below)...
> I'm mean WTF?!!

You can't blame the mountain guides because a) they didn't have the equipment or expertise to mount a rescue, and b) they had already publically stated that if anyone attempted the Nordwand and got into trouble, they wouldn't rescue them. So there was no way they were going to rescue the girl, she had to get herself down.....
 digby 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Monkeyrock:

I think all films based on reality should be utterly faithful to the true story.
Simple as that.
So there!

If you can't make a decent and gripping story out of it then it shouldn't hit the screen.

Not that keen on fiction at all really I suppose...
 Tom G 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Alex Thompson)
> [...]
>
>
> You can't blame the mountain guides because a) they didn't have the equipment or expertise to mount a rescue, and b) they had already publically stated that if anyone attempted the Nordwand and got into trouble, they wouldn't rescue them. So there was no way they were going to rescue the girl, she had to get herself down.....

I don't think the girl being out by herself is the problem - it's the fact that she was there at all in that scene. Trying to make a Hollywoodesque storyline that wasn't necessary.

>I think all films based on reality should be utterly faithful to the true >story.
>If you can't make a decent and gripping story out of it then it shouldn't >hit the screen.

That's the annoying part about it - the story was gripping enough to begin with. Even if they'd just left the girl down in the valley anxiously awaiting news or something, instead of a bivvy out on a ledge with no cold gear. Anyone who's experienced a bivouac knows that even with LOADS of gear you can still freeze. Everything else was so well done and that scene just kind of didn't make sense
Removed User 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tom G: What really confused me was the way the bird started of pretty rough, but by the end of the film she was HOT...
 Tall Clare 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Removed User:

whereas the actor playing Toni Kurz kind of went the other way, but I'm willing to concede that a frostbitten face is going to take the edge off anyone's looks...
Removed User 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: What? You not into that windswept, craggy look?
 Tall Clare 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Removed User:

I quite like the windswept, craggy look, but not the 'black nose and face about to fall off' look. Call me mrs shallow if you like...
Removed User 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: It's what inside that counts you know...
 Blue Straggler 05 Feb 2009
In reply to adderz:

For the most part, good stuff and extremely well shot, and I don't take too much issue with the fictionalised dramatisations. Performances were very good and there was a real feeling of "being there"

HOWEVER someone (digby?) mentioned "compromise" and I'd go along with this. I thought the linking device of the reporter and photojournalist worked well, though why they bothered with the Austrians in the hotel was a bit lost on me - trying to bring a political dimension in but not really going anywhere with it. The final 30 minutes do drag things out a bit and would be probably be overlong for a totally non-climing viewer, and somewhat overfamiliar for anyone with more than a passing interest in climbing (i.e. someone who knows a tiny bit about the events). Agree with usual comments above about the ludicrousness of Luise's actions during this section - shame as her character worked well throughout the rest of the film.Some of the main characters seemed oversimplified (solid sensible moody Toni, ambitious Andi, arrogant foolhardy incompetent Edi and Willy, cynical cold-hearted reporter chap....).

The overly dramatic musical score was a bit grating too.
And I don't think Retina cameras had a single-stroke lever film advance in the 1930s either

Recommended though with, oh, 7.5/10. Some of the mountain scenes reallyh were gripping.

Where was it filmed? I noted that, aside from an early summer scene (Hinterstoisser devising his swinging traverse, and ripping a piton) all the "close-ups" of the actors on the mountain were composed very tightly - were they mostly done in a studio? (I hope so for the actors' sakes!)
 Blue Straggler 05 Feb 2009
shoudn't this be in Kultur Bunker?
 Tom G 05 Feb 2009
In reply to adderz:

Regarding the tension traverse that Hinterstoisser used in the movie - was that the way it was done? It seemed awfully pendulummy. I thought it was a more controlled type of manoeuvre whereby your belayer put tension on one side of a high piton while you climbed down and away from it?
 Monkeyrock 11 Feb 2009
In reply to digby: Can't beleive I'm replying to this thread again. I realy need to get a life.....but

If all films based on reality where utterly faithfull to the story, they would not be BASED on reality, they would be reality, and they would be called Docu drama. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH is this not simple to comprehend. It does not matter whether they are to your taste or not. This is just the way it is. There are feature films and there are documentary's.

My advice if you dont like fiction, would be to stop going to see feature films at the cinema and get yerself the discovery channel.
violentViolet 11 Feb 2009
In reply to Queequeg:
> (In reply to Spready)
> [...]
>
> English working title 'North Face' sounds crap, might as well make it a literal translation and call it 'North Wall', sounds much better.

The literal translation of German "(Berg-)wand" is "face".
 graeme jackson 11 Feb 2009
In reply to violentViolet:
> (In reply to Queequeg)
> [...]
>
> The literal translation of German "(Berg-)wand" is "face".

The english translation of the german word 'Wand' is now and always has been 'Wall'. where do you get 'face' from? I don't see BergGesicht anywhere.

Lichtgestalt 11 Feb 2009
In reply to graeme jackson:

There are more than one meaning of "Wand" in German. It could also mean barrier, board, septum....
violentViolet 12 Feb 2009
In reply to graeme jackson:
> (In reply to violentViolet)
> [...]
>
> The english translation of the german word 'Wand' is now and always has been 'Wall'. where do you get 'face' from? I don't see BergGesicht anywhere.

I'm a native speaker of German, "Wand" has many meanings, "rock face" is one of them.

graeme jackson 12 Feb 2009
In reply to violentViolet: I bow to your superior knowledge. My german is 'O' level standard from 1977

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...