UKC

EDITORIAL: How to Shit at the Crag...? by Jack Geldard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 24 Oct 2008
UKC Editor Jack Geldard takes a look at the logistics of packing out your poop. Inspired by a recent trip to the US where he became a fan of the 'leave no trace' philosophy, he gives us the low-down on poo bags, the dangers of excrement and more...

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1363
 Jon Griffith 24 Oct 2008
In reply to UKC Articles: What inspired you to take pictures of shit at le grave then Jack?
 fimm 24 Oct 2008
In reply to UKC Articles:

There's two slightly different situations here, I feel? Waste disposal at popular, busy crags, and waste disposal when in a remote wild camp or bothy. Surely the MCofS advice applies to the later situation rather than the former. (Yes, there are areas in Scotland where this is a problem - the area surrounding the CIC Hut being the obvious example. But my feeling is they are the exceptions.)
Removed User 24 Oct 2008
In reply to fimm:
Much though the thought of packing out my turds reviles me I can see the sense in what the American philsophy is. I guess the horror I encountoured hauling myself onto a ledge on the An Teallach pinnacles makes me think it's a reasonable idea if you are in a situation where going off the beaten track and digging your hole wouldn't work.

Question for microbiology types. How bad is our shit compared to all the other types of shit I routinely encounter on a hill?
 Jack Geldard 24 Oct 2008
In reply to fimm:

> There's two slightly different situations here, I feel? Waste disposal at popular, busy crags, and waste disposal when in a remote wild camp or bothy.

I agree up to a point, but many of the busier crags (have you been in the trees at the right hand side of Kilnsey) have a poo problem, and I'd say poo-ing near a bothy isn't a great idea if there is a simple and cheap and clean alternative?

But yes, burying a dump in the middle of no-where isn't a big issue.

In reply to Jon:

I was pretty disgusted with that turd, right on the 10-metre-long track from the parking bay to the ice-fall, and a few minutes from a public loo. That ice will have melted, sending that chocolate log in to the nearby stream. I took the photo because I thought I might use it one day in an editorial...!
Jack
 Wonrek 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Removed User:

> Question for microbiology types. How bad is our shit compared to all the other types of shit I routinely encounter on a hill?

Although we wholly dicourage it, our toddler doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects from ingesting sheep poo :-S

Cx

TobyA 24 Oct 2008
In reply to UKC Articles: I actually think Jack is wrong in certain cases here - the argument for buying special bags and having them shipped to Europe from the US (where they had probably already been shipped from China anyway), just to crap in and then throw in landfill seems silly. My mate also used them when climbing in Indian Creek, but there are obviously massive differences in climate between the US desert west and soggy northern Europe. The problem in the UK is popular crags and people being stupid, rather than the shit itself. Don't go at the base of the crag and don't go by a stream. Leaving bog paper lying around is gross. But keep a lighter with your TP and you just burn it up. Then bury the crap under some earth, leaf mulch, gravel etc. and as long as you aren't in the middle of the heat wave, it goes quite quickly.

Obviously in less well visited crags this is easier, but if you are Burbage you can probably hang on until lunch and pop into a cafe for cup of tea and to use the bog.

Rose George was interviewed about her book on Thinking Allowed recently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/thinkingallowed/thinkingallowed_2008091... and Harri's article was also in Slate and is available as a podcast: http://www.slate.com/id/2202423/
In reply to Clears:
> (In reply to Just a bhoy)
>
> [...]
>
> Although we wholly dicourage it, our toddler doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects from ingesting sheep poo :-S
>
> Cx

Have you thought of cow & gate instead?
 fimm 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

> I agree up to a point, but many of the busier crags (have you been in the trees at the right hand side of Kilnsey) have a poo problem, and I'd say poo-ing near a bothy isn't a great idea if there is a simple and cheap and clean alternative?

I agree with you about busy crags (though not from personal experience - the most southerly crag that I've climbed on the the UK was in the Lake District!) and I agree that some of the more popular bothies also have poo problems (I know of two that now have toilets). I just felt that you were commenting on advice that perhaps wasn't applicable to the situations you were apllying it to.

> But yes, burying a dump in the middle of no-where isn't a big issue.
Crikey the Uk could be worse..........it could be like Spain!! Wndering into the bushes is something they don't seem to be arsed doing (sorry), right on the path seems to be popular from my experience!!
 Jack Geldard 24 Oct 2008
In reply to TobyA: That's exactly what I thought at first, but then I thought about it for a while (whilst on the bog) and changed my mind.

I'd say you can pop in to a cafe from virtually any crag in the Peak/Yorkshire etc, but people don't: (Kilnsey? Pub 200 metres, Cafe 300 metres) There's a big pile of shit and paper in the trees at Kilnsey, right where the stream pops out of the hill side!

So, d what you suggested, but carry a $2 poo bag and use it in emergencies? I would suggest that in general, people are lazy and won't walk to the cafe, but will poop behind a bush. Doing it in a bag is easier than burying it, and so people might just poop in a bag! In my experience, they don't often bury it... Squelch.
In reply to north country boy:
> Crikey the Uk could be worse..........it could be like Spain!! Wndering into the bushes is something they don't seem to be arsed doing (sorry), right on the path seems to be popular from my experience!!

Font suffers too.
Profanisaurus Rex 24 Oct 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

> our toddler doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects from ingesting sheep poo

> Have you thought of cow & gate instead?

Cow and goat to get the full set, shurely?

fimm 24 Oct 2008

Thinking about this a bit more; I'm sure I've heard about a scheme for carrying human waste out of the Cairngorms - I think it had some connection with Glenmore Lodge but I could well be wrong about that. I think they'd like to discourage people from digging holes in the Cairngorm plateau.
 Al Evans 24 Oct 2008
In reply to fimm: There are about a zillion links to this sit, this is a brief synopsis
http://www.kathleeninthewoods.com/sitwsynopsis.htm
 TobyA 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Well a couple of supermarket zip-locks with some kitty litter in them? Rather than specially buying things from another continent. Or a Tupperware box that could be reused? Unsurprisingly having small children has meant I've had to get a lot less disgusted about being around other people's crap!

Fortunately in Finland, all the cliffs see so little traffic and you are invariably in the woods, it is never much of an issue!
 Jack Geldard 24 Oct 2008
In reply to TobyA: If we're talking carbon footprints (which I think is irrelevant when compared to the massive energy use in general sanitation), where were the Ziplocks, Kittylitter and Tupperware box manufactured?

And the point is, if people won't walk to a cafe, are they going to clean out a Tupperware box full of shit?

I'm making a broad point with the article, not peddling a product, but if that poo-bag or another one were imported large-scale in to Europe, it could be a good thing.

What interested me most was the difference in culture of outdoor defecating between the UK and the US, not the ins and outs of which bag to shit in!
 gingerkate 24 Oct 2008
In reply to TobyA:
Or buy biodegradable doo poo bags, pack it home, and bury it in your garden to help your flowers grow.
 Tree 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: The army have used these bags for years- or at least something similar- to stop troops leaving indicators of where they have been- small black bags like the kind some toner cartridges come in, and a petrol can to pee in- you hold the can, your mate holds the bag, then both go in your pack. I'm sure somewhere in the UK there will be a source of these, without importing more Yank crap.

I'm sure the problem with human shit is our diet high in refined foods and meat- with sheep, cattle and other large groups of mammals being mainly vegetarian, it isn't an issue- the same with cleaning up after your dog as for humans I suppose.
 gingerkate 24 Oct 2008

> What interested me most was the difference in culture of outdoor defecating between the UK and the US,

Yeah, you're right, we need a shift in attitude here. It doesn't take more than a miniscule amount of effort cleaning up after yourself, whether it's burying it or packing it out.
 Mike Stretford 24 Oct 2008
In reply to UKC Articles: For once people can be proud of talking shit on UKC!
 fimm 24 Oct 2008

> And the point is, if people won't walk to a cafe, are they going to clean out a Tupperware box full of shit?
> What interested me most was the difference in culture of outdoor defecating between the UK and the US, not the ins and outs of which bag to shit in!

Yes, that is a good point. Whatever the "approved/best" way of dealing with waste, will there always be people who don't know or don't care? How do we educate people? (I once gave a bollocking to some lads who I suspected of leaving their shit unburied near Culra bothy - and there are notices in bothies telling you what to do...)
 richardh 24 Oct 2008

or a trip to portland once, where four guys were sitting in the same cafe as us having breakfast, then drove to the crag, dropped their rucksacks and walked off one by one to have a sh1t in the undergrowth.
 duncan 24 Oct 2008

> This article was, in part, inspired by the seminal book...

I think you're getting your bodily fluids mixed here.

Seriously, good to encourage people to think about this.

More people talking shit here: http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=65324
Big wall emphasis, but the same principles apply.
 Jack Geldard 24 Oct 2008
In reply to duncan:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)

> I think you're getting your bodily fluids mixed here.
>
Good one Duncan! I like it.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Oct 2008

A quick skim of the article and I don't see the obvious suggestion that people really get into the habit of "going before you go"!

Chris
Removed User 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: You'd need a big old bag to pack out the shit that gets talked on these forums...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Removed User:

Its OK though - that's just bullsh1t!

Chris

ArnaudG 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I wondered how long it was going to be before someone suggested that. For places like Kilnsey or Stanage, which are a day trip away from a bog it seems obvious (works for my kids anyway). Multi day wilderness trip is a different matter but there's less of an overcrowding issue.

RE the microbiology, there is between sheep and human a species barrier. Sheep pathogens don't tend to be pathogenic at least to the same extend to humans. Hence the fact that foot-and-mouth is a sheep-cow-pig problem rather than a human one. The bugs contained in human poo (e.g. C difficile which has been talked about recently) on the other hand are very pathogenic to other humans in particular as they proliferate happily in the cosy environement of our guts, hence the bouts of infections in hospital where very few bugs abound aside of those coming from sick people and the obsession with washing your hands after going to the loo.

A.-
 Michael Ryan 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:
>
> A quick skim of the article and I don't see the obvious suggestion that people really get into the habit of "going before you go"!

Another would include installing portaloos at the car parks of popular climbing areas.

This was done at two bouldering areas near Bishop to help prevent 'sanitation problems'.

TobyA 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: I try this - but it never works. I always get to the crag and think, "I've got to try and climb that?" and then need to go. It must be psychosomatic but it works as a laxative every time.
 Nevis-the-cat 24 Oct 2008

When bothying, I put my poo in a freezer bag and then in the top of an unaware Dave H's rucsac.

It isn't that much of a chore just to put your crap in a bag and pack it out. Bloody hell, there are old laidies the length and breadth of the UK picking up Fido's warm jobbies and taking them home, a trail of steam rising out of the tartan shopping trolley.
Snorkers 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Out here (Canadian Rockies) we have toilets at most of the parking lots and also at the more popular crags (local examples are the Back of Lake Louise, Wasootch) where practically possible. Burning your paper would be a v. bad idea for large parts of the year - a stray spark and you really would be in the poo.....and in jail. At Lake Louise they've built the toilet up on the slope well away from the tourist masses; this may be for hydrogeological reasons, but it serves to make the toilet only available to the relatively small number of climbers spending the day up there, so I guess the hassle of emptying/maintaining it is greatly reduced.

Jamie B 24 Oct 2008

Thanks for pushing this up the agenda. It'll take a lot of work to break the toilet habits of generations, but you only need to look behind a boulder at a popular crag to see that it is definately an issue.
 brieflyback 24 Oct 2008
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs) I try this - but it never works. I always get to the crag and think, "I've got to try and climb that?" and then need to go. It must be psychosomatic but it works as a laxative every time.

I find that sometimes, I'm sitting in my house trying to imagine what it would be like to solo an E2, just to terrify myself into going to the loo.

The bag's a good plan for people like me, who sometimes just HAVE to go, can't go beforehand, and haven't necessarily got time to sprint down the hill to the nearest loos.
 Andy Farnell 24 Oct 2008
> (In reply to TobyA) > I'd say you can pop in to a cafe from virtually any crag in the Peak/Yorkshire etc, but people don't: (Kilnsey? Pub 200 metres, Cafe 300 metres) There's a big pile of shit and paper in the trees at Kilnsey, right where the stream pops out of the hill side!
>

I've found it easier and far nicer to spend £1 on a lemonade in The Tennants and use the luxurious latrines upstairs. It may take 10 mins more than going to the RHS of Kilnsey, but it's a £1 well spent.

Andy F
 biscuit 24 Oct 2008
In reply to ArnaudG:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> I wondered how long it was going to be before someone suggested that. For places like Kilnsey or Stanage, which are a day trip away from a bog it seems obvious (works for my kids anyway). Multi day wilderness trip is a different matter but there's less of an overcrowding issue.
>

I promote pooing in a dog poo degradable bag and then pop it in a sturdy plastic screw cap bottle. I got mine from Aldi for 2.99. It's a nalgene copy. Used on multi day trips as well. No need at all to leave a dump anywhere - not saying that you do by the way !

The 'remote' place that you are may well be visited once a week and the convenient dumping places soon get overused. 4 people having a crap at an obvious wild camping/bivvy spot soon adds up over a year.

> RE the microbiology, there is between sheep and human a species barrier. Sheep pathogens don't tend to be pathogenic at least to the same extend to humans. Hence the fact that foot-and-mouth is a sheep-cow-pig problem rather than a human one. The bugs contained in human poo (e.g. C difficile which has been talked about recently) on the other hand are very pathogenic to other humans in particular as they proliferate happily in the cosy environement of our guts, hence the bouts of infections in hospital where very few bugs abound aside of those coming from sick people and the obsession with washing your hands after going to the loo.

C.Difficile, and another one with a big long name, were found in tarns in the Lakes that had popular wild camp spots by them a few years ago. I think it was decided that it can only have come from human waste getting into the water system.
 johnwright 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:
>
> It isn't that much of a chore just to put your crap in a bag and pack it out. Bloody hell, there are old laidies the length and breadth of the UK picking up Fido's warm jobbies and taking them home, a trail of steam rising out of the tartan shopping trolley.

PMSL

tobyfk 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

> It isn't that much of a chore just to put your crap in a bag and pack it out. Bloody hell, there are old laidies the length and breadth of the UK picking up Fido's warm jobbies and taking them home, a trail of steam rising out of the tartan shopping trolley.

But is that actually true? In almost two decades of adult life spent in the UK I never saw a dog turd bagged by anyone. All of Fido's jobbies remained on the pavement/ children's playground/ neighbour's flower bed/ etc where originally deposited ....

gingerkate 24 Oct 2008
In reply to tobyfk:
> (In reply to Nevis-the-cat)
>
> [...]
>
> But is that actually true? In almost two decades of adult life spent in the UK I never saw a dog turd bagged by anyone.

It's improved. As a dog owner who bags every day, from my observations on our city fields I'd say about half of dog owners now bag. The rest have perfected the technique of gazing fixedly to the left, whilst their (generally huge) dog produces a humungous deposit, which they of course 'haven't seen'.

But yeah ... round our way, people who leave their dog's crap on footpaths are pretty rare now... they get told on at quite a rate, so they risk a fine.
 The Pylon King 24 Oct 2008

but how do you shit at a shit crag?

or how to shag at a shit crag?
 Paz 25 Oct 2008

You're going to get lazy people and they won't read any amount of articles about shitting that you write.

I do bury mine, but basically sometimes I really need to go, and I need to go - yes sometimes I've just messed up and bloody can't walk 300m let alone drive to Grindleford, and for once that isn't me being lazy. Maybe I shouldn't eat so much curry occasionally, but hey, by the time I know this one didn't sit with me so well, it's too late. If you want to try having my bowels on a bad day, Mr I Have Glorious Stools and Only Ever Need to Go Once A Day Maximum, Regular As Clockwork, you or anyone else, then fine, we'll swap. Then we'll see what you write a f*cking article about!
 muppetfilter 25 Oct 2008
In reply to Paz:
How about buying yourself a NASA space nappy , you can happily roll around in your own sh1t to your hearts content.

It would be like having your own portable squishy bouldering pad and you wouldnt get so messed up and bloody......
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Oct 2008
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs) I try this - but it never works. I always get to the crag and think, "I've got to try and climb that?" and then need to go. It must be psychosomatic but it works as a laxative every time.

You need to start training your bowels rather than your forearms! Apart from one unfortunate incident halfway up the Durrance (sorry about that) I can't remember........... well you get my drift!

Chris
 Al Evans 25 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: They have installed portaloos at the foot of Penon d'Ifach but you still come across the odd pile.
 TonyB 25 Oct 2008

I've been climbing and trekking in the US in areas where shitting in a wagbag (as the locals called them) is compulsory. The whole process, isn’t actually too unpleasant. This is helped by the presence of toilet paper, an antibacterial handwipe and a lavender scented water absorbent silica in the bottom of the wagbag. Although I could conceive wagbag mishaps, I found the whole process relatively straight forward and followed the advice "just wear it like a skirt, dude". The bags seal really well, and although I was initially appalled at the idea of putting "it" in my rucksac, I was quite converted by the end of the trip.

In areas such as Indian Creek, you can pick up free wagbags at the carpark (they ask for a donation). I can't see why it wouldn't be easy to do the same at certain problem crags in the UK.
 Michael Ryan 25 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) They have installed portaloos at the foot of Penon d'Ifach but you still come across the odd pile.

But better than it was?

The other arm of this is 'education'.

Neil Conway 25 Oct 2008
In reply to diff:

I was disappointed to see crap & paper between boulders at Font this year.
In the middle of a circuit!
 Paz 26 Oct 2008
In reply to muppetfilter:

How about you buy one for me for xmas, and I send you a nice card?

In reply to Jack:

I may have been a bit over the top. I just contend, that whether lazy arsehole or timid unfortunate, having to take a shit near the crag doesn't represent anyone's day going to plan.

So unless you want to join the club of people who offer `try not to make so many mistakes in future' as their inciteful guiding philosophy, I don't see what the point in your article is.
 whispering nic 26 Oct 2008
In reply to fimm: Yes the Cairngorm poo project is fully operational. There is a drop off point at the Day Lodge car park. Poo on a bit of kitchen roll and put it in a thin biodegradable plastic bag,tie it closed, job's a good un.
 Angie Lester 27 Oct 2008

On a crag at Gower on the walk in we saw two lads making a hasty retreat, as we rounded the corner onto the stance we found a huge pile of runny...

Now, he obviously had to go, but 6 inches from where he...placed... it was a 20 foot drop into the sea!!

If these bags are a few quid we'd certainly invest, it doesn't happen often (or at all for me i manage to wait!) but i have a first aid kit and other essential stuff for on the hill and this i would think could easily be a part of my "essential" stuff, whats so difficult about spending a few extra pennies (so to speak!) after all we all spend vast amounts on kit!

For thos who find they just have to go no matter what, then you are the perfect market for these bags surely?!
 Jack Geldard 27 Oct 2008
In reply to Paz: The point is that sometimes everyone needs to take a crap at the crag (for whatever reason). If you've got a bag to crap in you don't need to pollute the crag environment.

Quite simple really.
 otziiceman 27 Oct 2008
This reminds me of the idea of "poo tubes" essentially a 2ft length of drainpipe with a removable bung at one end (tight fitting of course). Do it, bag it, then put it in the tube. Of course these are designed for above the snowline jobs. Oh and a word to the wise; make sure you remove the lid at least once daily, as the gas build-up can turn these things into rather dangerous (and explosive) weapons. And yes it has happened (in a tent no less) but fortunately not to me!
 idiotproof 28 Oct 2008
In reply to otziiceman:
> And yes it has happened (in a tent no less) but fortunately not to me!

That is really Grim!!
 JPG 28 Oct 2008
In reply to Tree:
> ...small black bags like the kind some toner cartridges come in, and a petrol can to pee in- you hold the can, your mate holds the bag...

No need for a mate.

1. Get a plastic bag that has loop handles (e.g. a freezer bag) and put some kitchen roll in the bottom of it.
2. Thread a sling through the loop handles.
3. Drop your kecks.
4. Crouch down slightly, then lean back against a vertical surface (rock, tree, etc.)
5. Loop sling around your thighs using a carabiner. Arrange such that the bag is under your anus. If the bag is big enough - e.g. a shopping bag - it will fit around your entire arse. Unless you have a particularly large arse, of course.
6. Get your Lucozade bottle and stick your pee-pee in the end (sorry girls, you'll have to experiment with funnels and whatnot).
7. Do the business.
8. Dispose of toilet paper in the bag.
9. Tie off the bag as low down as possible (i.e. enclosing the waste in as small a bag-space as possible).
10. Turn the remaining open part of the bag inside out and tie again, so that the waste is inside two layers of bag.
11. Pack the waste bag inside another bag to avoid the urge to buy a new rucksack.
12. Dispose of as one would a dirty nappy.
13. Place Lucozade bottle in your mate's rucksack.
 ksjs 28 Oct 2008
In reply to UKC Articles: good article on an important issue: the amount of toilet paper and crap at crags is depressing - it was sad to see the increased mess around Kalymnos crags in september just gone compared to when i was there in september 2007.

ive had to go once in 6 years of climbing and my bowels cant be that exceptional. surely people can be a bit more forward thinking ie lets all go before we head out for the day? i recognise though that there may be unavoidable situations and its here that we need to:

1 accept that your days climbing will have to be cut short by 30 mins or whatever in order to make your way to a local toilet or
2 use council provided eco toilets at the crag or car park - only place im aware of with these is Chateauvert (surely this is the best / most readily acceptable solution as its relatively easy to install [no plumbing] and would apply some moral pressure to those prone to using the crag surrounds as a toilet ie you shouldnt be able to justify this when theres a toilet right there) or
3 break out your 'use in emergency only' bio degradable poo bag and go for it or
4 make the effort to walk a suitable distance away and then dig and bury (we carry a portable shovel thing that folds down and everything!) i remember that at the Wild Side in Sella there was a large pick / shovel tool marked with 'caca' ('pooh' in english) that resided at the crag - when anyone felt the urge, off they went with said tool

so, there really is no excuse. i guess though that as with all such measures it will probably take something significant to happen (eg climbing gets banned at a major area or, worse, we end up with some sort of epidemic) before people are bothered to change their behaviour (i could start a rant about this but wont).

as a side note, anyone know why the eco toilet idea isnt more widespread? this seemed perfect: do your business and press the pedal a few times and everything is good.
Removed User 28 Oct 2008
Own a dog?-then you should already be used to picking up poo and carrying it out.

I can't see the issue here- why is it perfectly acceptable to deal with dog poo but not human poo??

nappy bags are ideal as you can tie the handles to seal it in- they're ridiculously cheap, take up no space, weigh nothing and for particularly smelly whoopsies- you can always easily double / triple bag.

OK they don't offer much of a target when laid out on the floor- but if you're not confident of your aim- sh*t on the floor like a dog and then scoop it up. Jobbie done!
 otziiceman 28 Oct 2008
No need for that mate.

But there is no fun in a bottle. You cant name it and after all, who doesnt enjoy the odd game of Russian Roulete?
 gethin_allen 30 Oct 2008
In reply to north country boy:
I totally agree, just came back from a trip through Germany and France and some places i went were covered in sh1t, also the entirety of paris is covered in dog sh1t.
gethin
 David Hooper 30 Oct 2008

Back in the 80's I shared some alpine routes with a lad who shall remain nameless.

He kept a small supply of union jack flag cocktail sticks - when he did an al fresco dump he would place a British flag in the offending turd, to annoy the french.
JFRoberts 30 Oct 2008
In reply to tobyfk:
> (In reply to Nevis-the-cat)
>
> [...]
>
> But is that actually true? In almost two decades of adult life spent in the UK I never saw a dog turd bagged by anyone. All of Fido's jobbies remained on the pavement/ children's playground/ neighbour's flower bed/ etc where originally deposited ....

Yes it is actually true for both myself as a dog-owner and many thousands of other dog-owners. As usual it is a small feckless minority who cause all the trouble and as someone said 'Shit will still happen'. It is obvious bagging and disposal is the answer by the most convenient method available and the Restop2 seems to be just that. And this applies to crags and wilderness. Congrats for bringing this pretty basic issue to a head!
 paul mitchell 31 Oct 2008
In reply to UKC Articles: So we would be the only ape that shits in a bag.Just how much carbon do we burbn to make the bag?

I thought the pink bog roll and the blue-white snow was beautifully contrasted with the offending and unapologetic turd.Let's preserve our artistic freedom to dump in exotic places:after all,we fill the ocean with it,so why is the land any different?

mitch
 Chris F 31 Oct 2008
In reply to whispering nic:
> Poo on a bit of kitchen roll and put it in a thin biodegradable plastic bag,tie it closed, job's a good un.

Or jobbie's a good un? (In fact is there ever a bad un).
 Rachael Barlow 01 Nov 2008
In reply to UKC Articles: You could have taken your pants down Jack - just for effect!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...