UKC

Enjoy UKClimbing.com? Support the shops that support UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 04 Nov 2008
Enjoy UKClimbing.com.

Support the shops that advertise at UKClimbing.com. They have good prices, are reliable and accountable.

Lakes Climber : Planet Fear : V12 Outdoor : CragX : Cotswolds : Camp Four : The Climbers' Shop : Ultimate Outdoors : Rough Gear : Outside Ltd : Mountain Intelligence : Joe Brown - Snowdonia

See them hotlinked here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=11

here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/

And at the base of every gear review and product news.

Mick
 sutty 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Well I have used four of them in the last few years, along with my two local shops. Unfortunately if I had only used one it would still go bust with the amount I spend, others will have to take up the baton of consumerism.

A video of shiney gear each month may get some young lad salivating, ask the shops to make them with links to save your bandwidth. Modelling the latest coats and boots may also help.
OP Michael Ryan 04 Nov 2008
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)

> A video of shiney gear each month may get some young lad salivating, ask the shops to make them with links to save your bandwidth. Modelling the latest coats and boots may also help.

We have thousands of climbers here Sutty.

Yes, shops can embed video in Premier Posts and should.

We have some gear articles coming up at UKC from

Mountain Intelligence : Joe Brown - Snowdonia : Lakes Climber : Ultimate Outdoors : Outside Ltd : Rough Gear : Cotswolds : The Climbers' Shop : CragX : Planet Fear : V12 Outdoor : Camp Four
 Steve Kirman 04 Nov 2008

How about some kind of UKC user discount? Then we all benefit - the shops, UKC, and us UKCers
In reply to Steve Kirman:
> How about some kind of UKC user discount? Then we all benefit - the shops, UKC, and us UKCers

Those sort of schemes only really work where you have paid membership with verifiable membership cards. It really wouldn't work with UKC since our registration process is necessarily flexible which would make it so easily open to abuse.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Well, you could use a unique user ID based link to the shop websites? All pretty standard web stuff.

Granted, anyone can open a UKC account, but if you're intnerested in getting 'advertiser loyalty' from UKC members, we're generally loyal to our wallets, so discount incentives might just work.

And if people become members just to get discounts, your user stats go up, which looks better to the advertisers...

Everyone's a winner...

Cotswold - nah.

The Climbers shop - yep
Ultimate Outdoors - yep, they got £170 only last Saturday.

Still any really thought out purchases are going to be from Needlesports or Barrabes as I really believe in spending my very hard earned money in places that try hard to make me spend it. Thats why Cotswolds will never get my custom.
OP Michael Ryan 04 Nov 2008
In reply to captain paranoia:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC)
>

> And if people become members just to get discounts, your user stats go up, which looks better to the advertisers...

Looking good to advertisers is the print model, we want to actually increase their sales.

A UKC loyalty card would be a good idea, I agree, but it would have to come from the shops themselves.

Mick
 sutty 04 Nov 2008

Would a click counter for people work or is that too difficult to do? Points for clicks maybe.
 Tall Clare 04 Nov 2008
In reply to sutty:

hey, they could do something whereby the more you post, the bigger the discount

<cough>

good stuff Mick and team - I'm trying to set up a reciprocal promotion/loyalty thing at work at the moment and if you're not a membership organisation with clear parameters it can be a bit flummoxing.
 James Oswald 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
A pound a month and 10% discount?
 Wee Davie 05 Nov 2008

>They have good prices, are reliable and accountable.

Agree on all except the last point. Can you explain what accountable means?
My favourite shop is Needlesports. The reason for that is the website is a mine of useful info and that, to me, matters more than fancy graphics and the lowest price.
Davie

OP Michael Ryan 05 Nov 2008
In reply to Wee Davie:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> >They have good prices, are reliable and accountable.
>
> Can you explain what accountable means?

We know the people who run them.

If there have been any questions about these shops on here at UKC - I have called them personally on behalf of people.

They are accessible. Committed to the the UK's climbing and mountaineering community.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...