UKC

NEWS: London – The Best Place to Climb in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 06 Nov 2008
Think of a 'climbers city' – do you come up with Sheffield? Edinburgh? Leeds? Glasgow? What about London?! Perhaps in part due to the dearth of available rock, London is amazingly well served by indoor climbing facilities.

As of this month, London has a huge new bouldering facility to add to its quiver of training venues...

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=11&year=2008#n45428
 panyan 06 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

hmmm. Sutton is hardly central London...but it's a welcome addition nonetheless.
 Offwidth 06 Nov 2008

Per capita, taking income and the dearth of good climbing nearby and local transport problems it should still be better.
 Tom Last 06 Nov 2008
In reply to panyan:

Agreed, I could probably get to the Peak quicker.
 Nic 06 Nov 2008
In reply to Queequeg:

Also agreed - who writes this stuff?! Sutton might as well be in Cornwall for someone like me who lives in the real Central London (Tower Bridge views...)
 nniff 06 Nov 2008

"A quick search on the UKC Classifieds comes up with 39 walls within a 20 mile radius of central London." and a quick search of an A to Z will reveal that most of them might just as well be on a different planet by virtue of their location in relation to you in one of the world's bigger an dmore congetsed cities. The rest might as well also be on a different planet by virtue of their utter lack of quality or their restricted opening hours.

Cut to the chase - most Londoners have a wall that is about an hour away that is worth going to, but the nearest worthwhile crag needs a day trip (Harrisons doesn't count as a crag)

So where would you rather be? Well, Bristol would be a whole lot better for climbing, as would Sheffield, Gloucester, or Harrogate, or ....

I suppose that I am spolit, seeing as the new Craggy place is 10 minutes from home and I drive past the main Craggy on the way home from work, but I could get to the Bristol wall faster in the evening from work than I could to Mile End. Bristol I could do in about 2 hours. Mile End - maybe the same by train (or rather car, train, tube and walk). West Way - about 1 hr 15 by car (with luck - could be 2 hours). Probably 2 hours by train. The train tciket is about £20. Bargain.
adderz 06 Nov 2008
In reply to Nic:

> for someone like me who lives in the real Central London (Tower Bridge views...) <

look at me look at me ey

Tom Last 06 Nov 2008
In reply to nniff:

Yes that sounds about right. It would cost me in excess of £20 to reach and climb at a London climbing wall, despite living just shy of the M25. The same amount of money would get me to Avon, or another tenner to the Peak.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Harlow Wall's opening (whenever that may be), I'm hoping there will be a bit of a scene down there at least.

Tom (wishing his closest crags weren't chalk quarries)
 Jim3960 06 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Shame we can't get a dedicated centre in stoke on trent. Currently 50 mins drive to the nearest centre(at current UK speed limits).
 Jo Morrison 06 Nov 2008

I live on the southern edge of the M25 and have 4 reasonable indoor walls within a 30 minute drive which is great. It takes an hour and a half to two hours to get to the Castle or Westway so they are a day trip but then we can go out in London afterwards. I think that we are far from saturated in the London area but I only get to the walls at peak times when they are often frustratingly busy.
 Andy Hardy 06 Nov 2008
In reply to Ugly Kid Jo:

A day trip to a climbing wall? <shudders>

PS Whatever you've heard about cheap housing, plentiful crags and friendly staff at the abundance of climbing walls close to your place of (well renumerated) work in the north is *all lies*

Stay where you are, Londons great for climbing
martin k 06 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I'm not sure that having a high concentration of walls is good for climbers. I rarely visit them, so it'd be no good for me!

However, Ken Wilson has told me on more than one occasion that London is the best city for climbers because you just HAVE to get away each weekend no matter what...Peak, Gower, Portland wherever (not that Ken would go to Portland!)

This means (in his experience) 40 weekends a year away climbing. So yes, I'd agree with you for those reasons.

Cheerio!
 HughM 06 Nov 2008
In reply to martin k:

I agree with Ken Wilson. Athough I don't quite manage 40 weekends a year. Maybe 20 - 25. And the best thing is that everywhere is equally far away so you end up going to a larger variety of places. When I lived in Sheffield I just went to the Peak. Now I regularly do weekend trips to Cornwall, Devon, Pembroke and N Wales. Occassionly the Lakes. And day trips to the Peak, Swanage, Wye Valley and Portland.

Oh, and as everyone else has said, Sutton is not central London. The Peak would easily be a quicker trip for me. London could accomodate another big wall I think, the Castle and Mile End are always packed on a week night.

ClimberEd 06 Nov 2008

Central SW London could definitely do with a wall - preferably leading rather than just bouldering.
 philo 06 Nov 2008

remember its quality not quantity.
you need strong training boards not miles and miles of jug plods.
 petestack 06 Nov 2008
> Perhaps in part due to the dearth of available rock, London is amazingly well served by indoor climbing facilities.

And that makes it The Best Place to Climb in the UK?

No!
i.munro 06 Nov 2008
In reply to ClimberEd:

Central SWLondon could definitely do with a wall - preferably bouldering rather than just roped stuff.
 ClimberEd 06 Nov 2008
In reply to i.munro:

I disagree - cause it's really easy to get up and across the to the Arches by public transport, but all the other walls are a real pain to get to. So bouldering is far more accessible from there than leading.
i.munro 06 Nov 2008
In reply to ClimberEd:

True but it's also a complete waste of time & space
 ClimberEd 06 Nov 2008
In reply to i.munro:
Ah, now that I can't comment on as I've never been there!
i.munro 06 Nov 2008
In reply to ClimberEd:

I meant roped climbing at a wall. The Arch is great.
Anonymous 06 Nov 2008
is that why all the best climbers move to london once they are old enough?

london is maybe great for climbing but crap for rock climbing.
Anonymous 07 Nov 2008

I think this is a ridiculous title for a news item frankly. It should be 'London, worst place in the world to live for climbing?'
I lived in London for 10 years and it has to rank as the worst place I spent any length of time in, regarding climbing. And I'm taking into account some diverse places: California, Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong and not even mentioning Europe.

Here in Tokyo I can go to a brilliant sports crag by train in 3 hours and round cost is $50. In Seoul I could climb 100m waterfalls within 3 hours drive - these cities are much more populous than London btw.
I don't want to be to negative but let's keep perspective.

SARS
In reply to Anonymous: But within 3 hrs of London you've got the Peak, Avon, Wye Valley, Portland, Swanage, Beachy Head, S.Sandstone...

None of which is saying much I know, but in the poor benighted south beggars can't be choosers.
 seagull 07 Nov 2008

The only thing London has over Sheffield is it's proximity to Font.
 Michael Ryan 07 Nov 2008
In reply to seagull:

I thought this interesting from Jim Nichols ...........

“I think the big shift has been that indoor climbing is seen as a sport in its own right. There are lots of people who use walls for exercise, to keep fit. They live in the city and can't get to a real crag after work. Climbing walls have got better, the buildings are nice places to hang out, the walls themselves are amazing, and it's a really fun thing to do.”
 seagull 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Yeah it is interesting. Probably makes London the best place to enjoy the sport of indoor climbing in the UK rather than "the best place to climb" though? For those of us who treat indoors as training London would still be a pretty crap place to live.

hwackerhage 07 Nov 2008

Aberdeen is really bad: only three climbing walls, at least 15 min to the sea cliffs from the office and the Shelterstone and other Cairngorms cliffs are not as good as the Himalaya! London definately is the place...
 Ramon Marin 07 Nov 2008
In reply to seagull:

And the rest of the rest of the world...

If you like grit, sheffield is great. But if you don't, like me, London is great. I can go every other weekend to an amazing crag in Europe. Let alone the ice-climbing destinations and mountain crags all over europe. I've catched a plane sat morning and been climbing a massive route in the dolomites by 1pm.

It totally depends what you like. I find that depending on what your city has to offer for rock-climbing is very one-dimensional, and I would get bored.
 Alun 07 Nov 2008

Those posters dissing London need to get their own sense of perspective.

London is an amazing place - I lived there for over 5 years and, while I'm glad I've left, I'm equally glad I spent my time there; it is one of the great cities of the world, for all its faults.

Furthermore, as martink said above, London is indeed one of the best places to live for climbing in the UK, by virtue of the fact that to climb you must leave the city. This means that you get to climb in many different places around Britain, and not return to the same crags over and over. Furthermore, the necessity to share lifts and find a hut to stay in at the weekend facilitates making friends and finding climbing partners. I met, and became good friends with, more fellow climbers in London than anywhere else I've lived.

This all said, you do get rather tired of the same motorway run late on a Sunday night...
 Michael Ryan 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Alun:

Nice one Alun. Thanks.

Let's be pragmatic. The majority of climbers have to live in a city - to live, to earn.

Be it London, Paris, or LA.

And as said, city climbers are so motivated to climb.

Mick
 Graeme Hammond 07 Nov 2008

and a quick search on the UKC database comes up with 205 real crags within a 20 mile radius of of my postcode, keep your indoor walls any day
 Sherri Davy 07 Nov 2008

Maybe - at least if you don't like climbing on proper rock on evenings from March to September and seeing distant hills (just as a reminder) when you go about your day!

Chris
i.munro 07 Nov 2008
In reply to seagull:

> The only thing London has over Sheffield is it's proximity to Font.

That is quite a big thing though eh?

Silum 09 Nov 2008
London – The Best Place to Climb in the UK?

I cant imagine anyone in their right mind truly answering YES to that question.
 Silum 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Graeme Hammond: lol....

187 crags within 20miles of sheffield.

6 crags within 20miles of london... 4 of which are boulders, 1 is a chalk quarry, and 1 is a police fishery with its rock type identified as crumbly rubbish.
 seagull 10 Nov 2008
In reply to i.munro:
> (In reply to seagull)
>
>
> [...]
>
> That is quite a big thing though eh?

Yeah but still in no way big enough. I've spent enough time in London to know that I do not ever want to live there and.............

In reply to ramon marin martinez:
> (In reply to seagull)
>
> And the rest of the rest of the world...
>
> If you like grit, sheffield is great. But if you don't, like me, London is great.

You're kidding right? I spent the summer/autumn at Rubicon and Cr*****ook.

Chris F 10 Nov 2008
In reply to ramon marin martinez:
> (In reply to seagull)
>
> And the rest of the rest of the world...
>
> If you like grit, sheffield is great. But if you don't, like me, London is great. I can go every other weekend to an amazing crag in Europe. Let alone the ice-climbing destinations and mountain crags all over europe. I've catched a plane sat morning and been climbing a massive route in the dolomites by 1pm.
>
I know it may sound strange, but other cities in the UK do have airports too.
i.munro 10 Nov 2008
In reply to seagull:

> Yeah but still in no way big enough. I've spent enough time in London to know that I do not ever want to live there and.............
>

I was always put off any potential moves from London to Sheff though because it felt like going roughly the right distance but in almost exactly the wrong direction

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...