UKC

ARTICLE: I Want That Job! Sam & Rich Mayfield - Orange House

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 07 Nov 2008
In this article series I Want That Job! I'm interviewing people from various professions within the climbing world. If you think your job is a dream come true (it has to be climbing related) and if you're willing to be interviewed - then drop me a line. Likewise if you can think of a job that you'd like to have - suggest it in the forums and I'll try and track someone down.

This time it's Sam and Richard Mayfield of Orange House fame...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1310
 Tufas Mum 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Free beer for anyone that can tell me which crag are we stood at in the Snow?

Clue its on The Costa Blanca..

Sam :0)
 Scomuir 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:
Montessa?
 Andy Hemsted 08 Nov 2008

The crag could be Sax. Snow on the Costa? I'll stay at home next year...
 petestack 08 Nov 2008

Now, is that house really *orange*? Or maybe some shade of yellow? Or custard?
 Tufas Mum 08 Nov 2008
In reply to petestack:

We think it looks dirty baby poo colour :0)

We name it after all the orange trees in the garden.

Sam
 Tufas Mum 08 Nov 2008
In reply to Andy Hemsted:

Nooooooooooooo not Sax, but close!

Only snows once a year and stays on the ground for about a day!

Was such a funny day, we drove all the way there and climbed one route each.

Sam
 petestack 08 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:
> (In reply to petestack)
> We name it after all the orange trees in the garden.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up!

tommyzero 08 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:

Is the crag in the snow Marin?

Out of interest... what time of year does it snow roughly?
 Tufas Mum 08 Nov 2008
In reply to tommyzero:

Nope :0) not Marin.

I think that was taken in Feb, but we have had snow in March I think.

Its not anything to worry about and as I said doesnt last very long and only lands at high crags (clue).

Sam
 spa_bob 08 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:

I dont think Sam orange actually enjoyed her job out there, lots of very negative comments in that article.
 Tufas Mum 09 Nov 2008
In reply to spa_bob:

I didnt that´s the point, I was been honest, but Rich loves it and wouldnt give it up for the world.

But if you read between the lines, I would do it again just to make the friends I have now and gain the experience.

I did have moments of happiness which outway the bad bits! :0)

I am at the house working this week, I didnt want to come out but this morning the sun is shining and a group of 24 Norwegian students who arrived late last night are taking a swim (silly buggers. They are walking around with massive grins on their faces. Gives you a nice feeling when you see people happy and that maybe you helped to make that happen.

Also another point of been honest was that people might think that working at something they love is great, when really its just another job!

Glad you read it though.

Sam Orange

Mick Ward 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:
> (In reply to spa_bob)

> Gives you a nice feeling when you see people happy and that maybe you helped to make that happen.

Well you did. There have been thousands and thousands of happy days in the hills courtesy of the Orange House.

Just one example, chosen at random. I can remember the first time I stayed, going to Forada with Rachel, Miles, Adrian etc. There was a couple from Skipton whom Rich had taken up Espolon Central, the day before. They hadn't done that much climbing, so going up the Puig was gobsmacking, a dream come true. At Forada we could keep a discreet eye on them, so they were being independent yet in a very safe environment.

I remember thinking how much safer (and more fun) their learning was compared to mine and many others.

That's just one example; there are hundreds and thousands more. I don't doubt that running the Orange House is a hard grind but it's been the gateway to fulfilling so many peoples' dreams.

Not many people can say that!

Mick
 sutty 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:

>Gives you a nice feeling when you see people happy and that maybe you helped to make that happen.

Exactly. All your hard work has made that happen, got a load of goodwill as well from it.

It all seems idyllic, till you find you are working 18 hours a day a lot of the time. Those people who think running a pub is an easy life till they find themselves working the same hours, and having all the paperwork to do when they get a chance is similar.

See you around sometime.
 tobyfk 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:

Boring money-obsessed capitalist that I am, I found this sentence by far the most interesting of the article:

"I retired to Spain in 2001 after making money from the IT boom!"

Is there a good story behind that (or even a dull one)?
 Phil1919 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum: Do they let you do the bridge jump (Mascarat Gorge?) or do you have to sneak in when nobodies looking. It used to be part of the week in the late eighties. Do it and then watch others'suffer'. They stopped it as the traffic used to stop and watch which caused a danger.
In reply to Tufas Mum:

> Nope :0) not Marin.

Forada?
 Tufas Mum 09 Nov 2008
In reply to tobyfk:

I had 30% in a company called ANS plc, I sold my shares in 2000, didnt get a massive pay off but enough to buy a large house and I opened a childrens nursery, when that was up and running I moved to Spain.

I had the idea to open one over here but met Rich and all that changed!

Found out this month on the internet that the other director that bought my shares sold them for 1.7M. ouch!

Sam
 Tufas Mum 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Eeeerm:
> (In reply to Tufas Mum) Do they let you do the bridge jump (Mascarat Gorge?) or do you have to sneak in when nobodies looking. It used to be part of the week in the late eighties. Do it and then watch others'suffer'. They stopped it as the traffic used to stop and watch which caused a danger.

We asked the Police what we had to do, they said go and see the Guardia. When we asked him what we needed (licence etc) he said " a rope might be good!" we found this a surprise as we didnt realise that the Guardia had a sense of humour.

They will move you on if people stop the traffic to watch.

Sam
 Tufas Mum 09 Nov 2008
In reply to mostly harmless:
> (In reply to Tufas Mum)
>
> [...]
>
> Forada?

Nope not Forada, looks like my beer money is safe!

:0)

Mark Stevenson 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:

I know where it is, but Mark says that I'm not allowed to participate

Am applying for a ob at a private school now, plus some second in department posts.

See you soon

Panda
 Tufas Mum 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

put it on my facebook so I can see if you is right.

Mr Lopez 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum: Cabezon?
 sutty 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:

I think I have been on the road below it the other year. Remember looking down on the mess below and wondering how they were allowed to to get away with it. Either that or I dreamed I had seen it, before seeing the picture!!
 Tufas Mum 09 Nov 2008
In reply to sutty:

No mess at this crag, nice and quiet and the climbing is great.

No its not Cabazon!

Still got me beer money safe......

Sam :0)
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:

Well you could go through all the crags in the guide - cheating though!

A single guess (based on the straight road in the distance) - Reconco?

Chris
 button 09 Nov 2008

Is it L'ocaive?
 Tufas Mum 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:

You swine! :0)

But then you do have insider knowledge....

Guess I owe you some beers next time we meet up.

Sam
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:

Well despite the "insider knowledge" it was a bit of a guess, I had looked at the shot a number of times and was stumped. Your clue of "near Sax" gave me the courage to have a stab in the gloom!

Chris

PS The beers will be most welcome!
 Tufas Mum 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:

So a lucky guess then!

tobyfk 10 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:
> (In reply to tobyfk)
> I had 30% in a company called ANS plc, I sold my shares in 2000, didnt get a massive pay off but enough to buy a large house

30% of your money or 30% of the company? What motivated you to invest?

Tufas Mum 10 Nov 2008
In reply to tobyfk:

I started the company with one other Director.

Sold as got bored, the company got too big and I never saw my kids, working from 6am till midnight, much like the Orange House really!

Sam Orange
 Al Evans 10 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum: I always thought The Orange House was what it was called when it was a brothel?
 Tufas Mum 10 Nov 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

No when we bought the house it was called San Miguel after the local mayor.

Sam
 tobyfk 10 Nov 2008
In reply to Tufas Mum:

> I started the company with one other Director. Sold as got bored, the company got too big

Sounds impressive. Well done.
 Tufas Mum 10 Nov 2008
In reply to tobyfk:

Thanks, makes me think what direction my life would have taken had I stayed!

I dont think I was a nice person when I was in the real world! mind you I am sure some people will say I am not a nice person now :0)

In reply to Tufas Mum:
I do x
 Tufas Mum 10 Nov 2008
In reply to David Simmonite:

Thank you sweetie I love you too ;0P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...