UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Scarpa Launches New Manta GSB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 07 Nov 2008
The new Manta has the ever increasingly popular built in GSB System and is directly compatible with the Grivel Air Tech GSB crampon. This makes a superb lightweight combination which would be suitable for nearly all mountaineering environments and situations.

Read more: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=1417
Vip1r 07 Nov 2008
In reply to UKC Gear: I'm surprised it's taken them so long to do this. The GSB system is great, sed it for a few years now and would never go back!
 steves 11 Nov 2008
In reply to Vip1r:

The big gap (~0.5cm) between the boot and crampon when using Mantas with GSb make me nervous. I guess it must still be safe but doesn't fit as well as with Freneys.

(I tried Airtech GSb, the others should do the same thing)
In reply to Vip1r:

Really! I think it is possibly one of the worst inventions ever and when I need new crampons they will not be GSB ones.

I agree that when together they are fine but after the walk in when the hole at the front has filled up with snow and it has frozen, I have to bang the crampons in with the hammer on my Ice Tool which I don't think is the greatest of designs.
 winhill 11 Nov 2008
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:
> (In reply to Vip1r)
>
> Really! I think it is possibly one of the worst inventions ever and when I need new crampons they will not be GSB ones.
>
> I agree that when together they are fine but after the walk in when the hole at the front has filled up with snow and it has frozen, I have to bang the crampons in with the hammer on my Ice Tool which I don't think is the greatest of designs.

Could you trim a wine cork to fit in the hole then remove it when you want to fit the crampons?

Even if it gets stuck, presumably you always carry a handy cork screw with you?
 ropeaccessryan 11 Nov 2008
In reply to UKC Gear: Nah you get little plugs you can put in the boots when crampons are not fitted and if you do get them full of ice then a smoking pipe cleaner is a good size for clearing it.
 gear boy 11 Nov 2008
In reply to:

air tech gsb is delivered with a plastic spacer plate for the front of the boot to give good fit, also its better to use the standard bar rather than the super assymetric one

mantas are delivered with plugs in, but are harder to get out than on freney etc
 Mark Stevenson 11 Nov 2008
In reply to UKC Gear: Well, if they HADN'T moved to the GSB then I'd have bought a new pair of Manta this month.

Unfortunately, I've got a pair of perfectly serviceable M10 crampons (and numerous spare front points) that I'm perfectly happy with so there was no way I was going to spend another 100+ quid on new crampons for no reason.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't really see why any existing users of step-in crampons would move to GSB as it would involve replacing both your boots and crampons at the same time. It might be a good long term move but only if other manufacturers also adopt the system. In general proprietary systems are rarely that successful.

loopyone 16 Nov 2008
In reply to Mark Stevenson: I use old style mantas with step ins (with front metal loop). I don't use a strap to the toes and they've never come off.
Can see the point to GSB, but not if your just replacing boots.
 Stuzz 16 Nov 2008
In reply to ropeaccessryan:
> (In reply to UKC Gear) Nah you get little plugs you can put in the boots when crampons are not fitted

all very nice in theory but it took me about 5 mins and a screwdriver to get the bloody thinks out in a nice warm shop. dont fancy having to do it in the cold with gloves on to be honest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...