UKC

Why do people still buy solid gate krabs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ricky Martin 11 Nov 2008
With all the benifits of Wire Gates being for the most part lighter stronger faster etc etc, and the only down side I can see being the way the gate becomes invisible when you a distance a way. I was wondering why people still buy solid gate non locking Karbs? Answers on a quickdraw please.
 ginger_lord 11 Nov 2008
In reply to Ricky Martin:

Perhaps the feel more comfortable with a solid gate rather than a thin flimsy looking wire gate. Even if they're the same rating or stronger it might be a mind of matter issue.
 kareylarey 11 Nov 2008
In reply to Ricky Martin: Some people find them easier to clip.
 Yanis Nayu 11 Nov 2008
In reply to Ricky Martin: I use clean-nose types for racking.
 fishy1 11 Nov 2008
In reply to Ricky Martin: I use them because they are cheap.
 Bruce Hooker 11 Nov 2008

Because they're cheaper and nicer to touch and look better... but mostly the first reason.
 Lemony 11 Nov 2008
In reply to fishy1: Are they really any cheaper though? Needlesports have DMM Prowires for £3.99, we're selling off Faders Plus Wires for £2.98, Joe Browns has Clog Wiregates at £3.50, field & trek has WC Techgates at £4. You're certainly not saving a great deal...
 sihills 11 Nov 2008
In reply to Ricky Martin: stronger??? faster?? how come??
 tom.ireson 11 Nov 2008

for racking nuts - try putting a nut on your wire gate and twisting it. You will find that if you twist a certain way it will come off, with a solid gate that wont generally happen. Think about the last time you had to do a bit of good old fashioned gritstone chimney thrutching, I have seen nuts fall of people's harnesses in this situation most probably because of the wire gate they had them racked on.

for sport climbing - since weight is not so much of an issue (no rack to carry) it makes sense to go with a carabiner on your quickdraw that feels the best and is quickest to clip. Also sport quickdraws take a lot more abuse on the whole, taking more frequent falls and being clipped to metal shredding bolts. For this purpose I have a set of simple solid gate (DMM Proclip) quickdraws and they are very nice to clip, and chunky enough to take the abuse.

for anything else - wire gates all the way!
OP Ricky Martin 11 Nov 2008
In reply to sihills: stronger - Because i read it some where think it was either on needlesports web sight or in High? The Steel wire is stronger than and alloy gate but as the Krab bodys originally were just solid gates bodies with a wire gate so manufactures didnt change the moldings as it was too expensive. for example WC Wild Wire and Blaze

I think it was .........
The gate pin is the weak point that fails in a lab and as that is removed the closed strength is high

Faster - kind of fit with the lighter stronger bit
 sihills 11 Nov 2008
In reply to Ricky Martin: never ever heard before that they are stronger.

plus points for me are that they are lighter and dont freeze in winter, but to be honest im not climbing hard enough to care whether I have to carry a little less weight.

I like my solid gates, they do everything, they look nice, and they are alot nicer to clip either onto bolts or onto the rope.
In reply to rock gobbler:
> (In reply to Ricky Martin)
>
> for racking nuts - try putting a nut on your wire gate and twisting it. You will find that if you twist a certain way it will come off, with a solid gate that wont generally happen.

Yes it will I've just tried it

If the Nut twists on to the gate with the krab up side down and it gets pulled doent make any difference what the gate is made of
In reply to sihills: I did read it in a mag but it was Mr Kirkpatrick so I would be more beliveing of it the whole articals on Pshycovertical

WHY ARE WIRE GATES CARABINERS SO STRONG?
Wire gates are stronger because their stainless steel sprung-steel gate significantly exceeds the strength of a aluminium gate, the weak point in any carabiner. The stainless steel wire is actually the strongest part of the carabiner body - with the aluminium body failing before the gate breaks, closed, open or miner axis, and in every test the wire gives a higher test result then a conventional gated crab. A lot of the carabiners that are old school solid models that have been modified to wire gates (Wild Country Wild Wire, BD Quickwire) are stronger then their solid traditional gated cousins, although have the same rated strengths because it's too expensive to change the body's of the crabs. The key strength difference in Wire gates is in there ability to reduce the 'whiplash' affect on the gate in a fall.
 sihills 11 Nov 2008
In reply to Ricky Martin: i wasnt questioning you btw, just had never heard it before. cheers for that.
In reply to sihills: no worries didn't want to appear to be making it up
 ian caton 11 Nov 2008

Because slings and wires hook in the nose of wire gate krabs.
 fishy1 12 Nov 2008
In reply to Lemony: I can buy used solid gates for £1. I can't get that for wiregates.
In reply to fishy1: used being the key word there.
 pottsworth 12 Nov 2008
I have a load of wire gates, but on sport they are not nearly as easy / nice to clip as dmm mambas, or a mates old dmm solid gate draws
 jimtitt 12 Nov 2008
The place NOT to use wiregates is as the top krab in a quickdraw if you are on sports routes with bolt-ins. The wire has an unfortunate habit of catching in the protruding threads and if you fall the gate is ripped apart. There are threads about this on rockclimbing.com for example.
Re. strength, all the krabs I´ve broken while testing have failed when the gate nose broke off, not the pin failing but these are generally older ones, perhaps more modern solid gates use thinner pins.
 petellis 12 Nov 2008
> I was wondering why people still buy solid gate non locking Karbs?

Becase one of the best krabs around only comes in solid gate: petzl spirit - they're beeeeuuudiful, regardless of how heavy they are.

Some seem to suggest solids are easier to clip on sport - certainly feels like it to me but I'm sure its a personal preference really.

lost1977 12 Nov 2008

"I was wondering why people still buy solid gate non locking Karbs? Answers on a quickdraw please. "

i like them sound they make when they flick shut, strange but true. the sound of a proper krab flicking shut is very reassuring to me (mental trick to help me relax when climbing)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...