UKC

Sport quickdraw?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pegg 17 Nov 2008
Hey Guys,

Im looking for about 10 decent sport quickdraws. Unfortunately my budget is limited to being as little as possible and this will be the first set of quickdraws that I own (I have lead quite a bit before just on old heavy bar gates). I was looking at getting the Wildwire quickdraw 'tech' set from cotswold outdoor, you get 5 wildwires, 2 10 cm, 1 15 and 2 20 for 45 pounds. This seems like a pretty good deal to me and Iv only read decent reviews, any thoughts or better deals you can think of?

Thanks
 henbot 17 Nov 2008
In reply to pegg: Have a look at the DMM prowire quickdraws on needlesports, I have had mine for about 3 months now and they seem really good, and they are cheaper than most.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Nov 2008
In reply to pegg:

http://www.rockrun.com/products-Blaze-Quickdraw-10cm-5-Set_CL-QD-BLS1.htm

I bought a set of these from Rock and Run - very slick and cheaper than the ones you are looking at!

Chris
 TobyA 17 Nov 2008
In reply to pegg: I had loads of Wild Wires and after a number of years I realised I really didn't like them. I can't say why really but I just found them harder to clip than many other krabs I've used. I've now got rid of all of them.

If you are a sport climber only (or mainly) I would go for Shadows if you can afford them. http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1140 They really are superb krabs - I've used them all year for all my cragging both sport and trad and have come to love them. Easy to clip. Burly and strong. Super easy to strip when you're lowering off because of the keylock nose. There are loads of good wire gate krabs as well, but if you are a sport climber I'd really look at the Shadows.
In reply to pegg:

Cotswold Rock Bottom have some Zero G sets of 5 for £30
 James Oswald 17 Nov 2008
In reply to pegg:
If you are intending on trad climbing aswell can i recommend getting a variety of lengths as i made the mistake of only getting 12cm ones and they often need extending using a second quickdraw.
I recommend the DMM prowires.
 Static 17 Nov 2008
In reply to pegg:

A word of warning about DMM Shield quickdraws, the ones with a twisted wire gate, which retail at £17 a go.

If you are looking for sport climbing clips then don't buy these because they don't fit in a clipstick.
In reply to Static:

> don't buy these because they don't fit in a clipstick

Any clipsticks at all, or one in particular that you've tried? I can see that the bent back bar and I-beam forging might cause problems.
 Dan Lane 17 Nov 2008
In reply to pegg: Go to decathlon. They are selling camp 10CM quickdraws with a keylock nose for £7 each. I have 10 of them and find them quite light weight and really easy to clip.
Fully reccomend them.

Dan
 Static 17 Nov 2008
In reply to captain paranoia:

Ive got a beta stick which are the ones sold in most climbing shops. I imagine a homemede clipstick with a crocodile clip attached to a fishing pole would cope with Shield quickdraws much better.
pegg 18 Nov 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: Ill bear that in mind but I have to say I much prefer wiregates to bargates, i find them easier to clip (Its not the weight, i really doubt that 200g will make much difference). The prowires seem to have a really small krab which, wilst ok for my missus creates problems for me with my farmer hands (wide and chunky but stocky).

As for the person who said they didnt like that, is there any real reason? Were they hard to clip or strip, did they not run very well?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...