UKC

PHOTO ARTICLE: Winter - wow! by Chris Craggs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 04 Dec 2008
Over the years, author Chris Craggs has amassed a huge collection of photographs, many of which have appeared in Rockfax guidebooks and climbing magazines.

In this short photo-article Chris delves into his collection to choose some great photos of glorious winters past.

Photo Article: Winter - Wow!

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1489
 Simon 04 Dec 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Good to remember what Winters used to be like - the Fox house Shot brought back memories of helping rescuing sheep up there (you had to dig to find em!)

Si
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 Dec 2008

We did Mam Tor Gully under a full moon and really deep snow (a college minibus full). A rapid sitting glissade, zooming back down the gully was the highlight though.

Chris
James Jackson 04 Dec 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Fantastic. I think my Dad climbed Devil's Kitchen at a similar time... I also have memories of digging sheep out in harsh winters, but up in Ennerdale.
 neilh 04 Dec 2008

I have somewhere a black and white print of us parked below raven 's Tor, snow all around, aiding up what is Revelations in about 1980.

Those were the years when idwal was frozen, then you know everything was in nick.
 SebCa 04 Dec 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: But question is, will we ever see it like that again?
 jkarran 04 Dec 2008
In reply to Jimbo MSider:

> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC) But question is, will we ever see it like that again?

No reason why not though probably not as frequently as it used to happen for a while at least.
 petellis 04 Dec 2008

Its really nice of you to have put these on here. Fascinating to see what the UK can produce if it really wants to. Just imagine how much chaos this sort of thing would produce if it happened this winter given how soft the UK seems to have become, 3 snow flakes and nobody can get to work!

I'm suspect there is a chance we will see this like of this again but not regularly. Wouldn't the UK be ace if it had a continental climate!
john 284 04 Dec 2008

Cracking photo's !
 nigel pearson 05 Dec 2008
I remember being at school in Shrewsbury in the winter of 1981-1982 when the temperatures went down to -20C, there was snow on the ground for several weeks and the river Severn froze solid.

Thanks Chris some lovely photo's I think i have a photo of Lake Ullswater frozen over in 1985, must dig it out and up load it.

TTFN

J
 The Bushman 06 Dec 2008

Really interesting and good to see folk making the best of conditions.
andy guppy 07 Dec 2008
In reply to The Bushman:
Brings back good memories of what winters should be like. I bet that schools were still open in those days!!.....not like last weeks sorry episode in Oldham/Rochdale caused by a few cms of snow!
Guppy
 Morgan Woods 07 Dec 2008

Nice shaggin wagon in the first shot
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Dec 2008
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
> Nice shaggin wagon in the first shot

Indeed - he had it lined with polystyrene panels and neatly covered with washable wallpaper! We lived in it four four months in the Alps in 1974!

Chris
 nikinko 07 Dec 2008

nice one, great pics!

oh... and I was esp interested in the 1979 winter, as that was when I was when me mum and the midwife very nearly had a helicopter trip for me to be born. Sadly not enough snow for that... I guess I started as I will go on!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...