UKC

La Sportiva Katans - Problem Rubber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have been an avid wearer of the La Sportiva Katana for a while now but since they brought out what seems to be a newer version, I have been constantly frustrated with the way the rubber keeps on peeling away from the toe. It seems that whatever they have changed, means that the bonding isn't as good as it was and seeing as this has happened on 3 pairs of shoes makes me think it isn't just my footwork!!!

Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me?
 Marq 10 Dec 2008
In reply to Anthony Allsopp:

I've had two pairs peel away exactly as described in the last 18 months. A pity because otherwise a nice shoe.

Marq
 dodfoster 10 Dec 2008
In reply to Marq: thanks for this post as you've saved me £85! was gonna buy a pair but if i'll not bother. cheers
neil.....34 10 Dec 2008

Hi mate I been through 3 pairs in 3 months, when I took them back the guy in shop had the cheak to call me a punter and I should employ some better foot work, I been climbing 15 years at a very high grade, so I do know what i am doing,

I then sent of direct to sportiva who told me they could not do anything about it, and that i had to take them back to the shop and get them to send them off, but the shop wont because i cant climb apprently

screw sportiva, i love the katana, but I cant afford a new pair every 4 weeks

I think we should all unite on this

Mr Lopez 10 Dec 2008
In reply to Anthony Allsopp: Got a similar problem with Sportiva mountain boots see here for my rant... http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=325559
Anyway, i heard 2 different explanations, one is that Sportiva had a glue batch problem, which is highly unlikely, and the most likely is that after they moved manufacturing to China the quality just spiralled down.
Shame, as they use to be a top brand.
 James Oswald 10 Dec 2008
Contact La Sportiva. A climbing company provided me with any replacement pair of shoes when the toe of mine wore through.
 Richard Hall 10 Dec 2008
In reply to Mr Lopez: Spotiva have not moved their production to China. Only a couple of their models (basic ones) are made in China, the rest are still made in Italy.
 pottsworth 11 Dec 2008
Seems a shame that they aren't bothered about their customers.
I know of 3 people who have issues with red chilli boots, they all wrote to red chilli, and they all got replacement boots without any hassle.
I think writing to them would be a really good idea. Perhaps if i mention the fact that there are a few of us in the same situation they might take us a bit more seriously.

If I get any results back I will let you all know
 spacey 12 Dec 2008

This has happened to mine too and with my previous pair. The first pair I got sent back via the shop I bought them from and I got a completely new set in return, no questions asked. I wore out this replacement pair with no troubles, bought some more which took a few months to start to peel so I just touched them up with a spot of super glue and they have been brilliant ever since. They are great shoes and I am happy to live with this slight glitch, but if you are starting a campaign then count me in.
Bob kate bob 12 Dec 2008
In reply to Anthony Allsopp: The new version of the katana has been out in Europe for longer than the UK, you can tell the new version as rather than having the la sportiva logo on a sticker on the sole, there is a yellow disk inserted into the sole with their logo on it.

If you can find the old version then BUY THEM they are good. If you find the new version don't bother. What's the point in buying a pair of nearly £80 boots if they are going to wear out in a month
 John Gillott 12 Dec 2008
In reply to Bob kate bob:

Friends in Europe have told me the same thing.

I've also had the peeling problem (not so much wearing out fast as coming apart a bit) with my latest pair of Barracuda's - the previous three pairs of the same shoe were fine.
 EarlyBird 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Bob kate bob:

>
> If you can find the old version then BUY THEM they are good. If you find the new version don't bother. What's the point in buying a pair of nearly £80 boots if they are going to wear out in a month

I had an old "sticker" pair and experienced the problem referred to - delamination on the toe. So this seems to be a problem that affects "sticker" and "disc" styles.
 Wallm0nkey 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Anthony Allsopp: I was planning on getting a pair of Katanas but sounds a bit off putting. Think I'll stick with the anasazis now.
 Jen_George 24 Dec 2008
same problem and its really annoying... havnt had them that long either
To_Boldly_Go 24 Dec 2008

I've had several pairs but have clearly been lucky in that I haven't had the peeling problem, but the problem I DO have is them just wearing at the toe far faster than any other type of shoe I've had. I've (temporarily at least) gone to another brand ....
 drewish 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Anthony Allsopp: yes! id heard so many good things about them, got a pair and they stretched loads and the rubber peeled away in a few weeks
 alabalackshaw 25 Dec 2008

I've had quite a few sets over the last couple of years which have been great, but the last two sets have done exactly what you describe in a very short space of time. Last set bought brand new before Ceuse summer trip went through in less than two weeks, only climbing on rock and me splitting climbing time between two others sets of shoes.

My friend that I went with had the exact same problem.

I'd definitely be up for signing any letter or making any enquiries, especially as it now seems that there are other folk having the same problem...

Cheers,

Al.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...