UKC

TNF Rucksacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mikkel 19 Dec 2008
What are The North Face rucksacks like?
Like some comment from people who have used them.
ice.solo 20 Dec 2008
In reply to Mokkel:
some may love em, but im no fan. except some of their trail running packs that are stunning exceptions.
tnf is obsessed with putting every buckle, clip, loop and zip on they can. compared to packs by say, mhw or millet, tnf is way behind. too much junk, to many pieces, no real design elegance, expensive.
the people i work for have a tnf sponsor so we have been obligated to use their stuff. the clothings usually good, but there are better packs from other companies.
OP Mikkel 20 Dec 2008
In reply to ice.solo:

yea they do look a bit overfitted with buckles, looks like one of them have 3 holding the lid????

yodadave 20 Dec 2008
In reply to Mokkel:

i think their top of the range sacks are descent enough but the cheaper ones are all a bit shoddy
OP Mikkel 20 Dec 2008
In reply to yodadave:

Think this one looks quite nice http://www2.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=EU&model...

Can get them cheap why im considering one.
 BenAds360 20 Dec 2008
In reply to Mokkel:

i met a guy in the Khunbu who had been climbing for a month up there using a north face sack. Both straps had broken and it was covered in gaffer tape. he said in those harsh condition you had to expect those kind of gear failures...... er no my macpac and my pod have lasted years!
OP Mikkel 20 Dec 2008
In reply to beneboy:

straps broken doesnt sound very good for sure.
 john howard 1 20 Dec 2008
In reply to beneboy: Same happened to a friend of mine, bought a brand new top of the line rucsac(the prophet 65 I think?) and about a week later a carrying strap broke after a day of easy hiking in Switzerland, luckily we were close enough to a town, but if we weren't it wasn't exactly something easily repaired in the field.If you look at the design of the strap, all the weight of the sack goes through a tiny area of webbing and stitching, it's a flawed design and I'm sure it could easily happen to the other side. Not used any north face sacks myself but just thought I'd mention it.
ice.solo 21 Dec 2008
In reply to Mokkel:

fair enough saving some cash - but i reckon packs go along with ropes, boots and anything else that will make or break the gig - its worth shelling out for something that will do what you want it to, ie not fall apart or hinder your critical moments.
you will curse every cent you saved if a strap or zip pops when youre out there.
 glasto_mudd 21 Dec 2008
In reply to Mokkel: I've got the Terra, and to be honest, I don't really like it, there's better rucksacs to be had. However, I have heard that they've got a new range of climbing specific rucsacks coming out in the next season, which look very interesting, and maybe worth giving them a try.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...