UKC

Great Zawn verses Gogarth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 M. Edwards 28 Dec 2008
Great Zawn or Gogarth? Great Zawn may only have 44 routes, but does this deep dark Cornish zawn hold its own up against the famous Northern Welsh sea cliff?
 Al Evans 28 Dec 2008
In reply to M. Edwards: Love Great Zawn, but No!
OP M. Edwards 28 Dec 2008
In reply to Al Evans: Hi Al, that was a quick answer! Need more time to think about it? Just kidding, Hey, I love both places, but those natural granite crack lines just speak to me every time...
In reply to M. Edwards: Maybe I should have included Bosigran too with Great Zawn... to even out the grades and scope of routes to compare
 leaf1741 28 Dec 2008
In reply to M. Edwards:

i got a little confused with this topic title "great zawn" is also the name of another welsh sea cliff on the little orme
In reply to leaf1741: Yep! This ones down south in deepest West Penwith. I think my dad (Rowland Edwareds) had something to do with the Ormes once
 leaf1741 28 Dec 2008
In reply to M. Edwards:

im sure the north wales limestone guidebook might yield some answers on what he had to do with the place, if its putting up routes we're talking about here.
 Mike Raine 28 Dec 2008
In reply to M. Edwards:

Mark, you're just being silly now!
In reply to Mike Raine: Yep! Its Christmas Mike. Happy New year to ya!
In reply to M. Edwards: BTW its been raining here today and I'm full of a cold, so has been fun to be on here.
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 28 Dec 2008
In reply to M. Edwards: Never Climbed in Great Zawn, but I would like to fight on behalf of Gogarth. My guess is Main Cliff probably has more three star routes than great zawn has routes.

I will stand corrected if someone can be bothered to count
 Mike Raine 28 Dec 2008
In reply to M. Edwards:

Hot and sunny in Llanberis! But me? I'm full of the flu, yuk! Happy New Year to you and your family.

Mike
 HappyTrundler 29 Dec 2008
In reply to M. Edwards:

Agreed, Great Zawn is absolutely fantastic, a privelidge to climb there...Gogarth has so many more routes though, including spectacular locations like Wen Zawn and the scale of Red Walls, Mousetrap Zawn etc.

Bosigran is a fine crag for climbers climbing up to VS and E2 upwards. There isn't loads for the HVS / E1 climber at Bozzy, and that is the grade range where Gogarth would outscore heavily, Gogarth, Britomartis, Scavenger, Strand, Dream of White Horses to name just a few...
 robw007 29 Dec 2008
In reply to M. Edwards:
Agree with most of the comments above but Great Zawn does have THE JUMP for the start of Dream/Liberator, Deja Vu etc!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...