UKC

why are sleeping bags so expensive!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 _sllab_ 28 Dec 2008
as far as i,m aware there made of duck or goose feathers and some poly/nylon...so why the huge pricetags? After all my duck down quilt cost me about £30, yet its £300 for a decent bag. Dont tell me to try and use it in the hills!
 d_b 28 Dec 2008
In reply to brokenjockstrap:

Good quality down extraction is done by hand. It also works best on birds that are still alive (hiding from the ALF costs money). Then there is the bag construction - the best bags need relatively complex stitching, then there is the "because we can" tax that comes with anything that has a small market.

On balance I would go with hand made, not really mass produced.
 James Oswald 01 Jan 2009
Because they can. Relatively few close substitutes which mean price elasticity of demand is relatively inelastic.
I however am no sleeping bag expert.

if you want something cheap get a snugpack - it wont pack amazingly, it'll be heavy as owt, the features wont be great and the ratings are ambitious but it'll cost you under £50.

you get what you pay for though.
 Listy 01 Jan 2009
In reply to brokenjockstrap: Go to the "Alpkit" web site and check there's out..... Trust me it's well worth a look!
 kendogcatchy 01 Jan 2009
In reply to Listy: indeed - I have one of their bags. i htink it was 90 quid. its great.
 Stuzz 01 Jan 2009
In reply to kendogcatchy:

yea, been waiting for them to get some back in stock but got an e-mail today saying that it looks like they'll be a while and even then there isn't any gaurantee of getting one...

*sighs*

i really cant afford to buy a more expencive one so i'll just have to wait i guess...
 The New NickB 02 Jan 2009

Feathers and down are not the same thing.
James Jackson 02 Jan 2009

Having slept in some rather cold conditions in a rather expensive sleeping bag, I can happily say that the price is well worth it for me still being alive (and indeed comfortable at the time).

You also need to think that these are minority buy items, so time invested in designing them has to be paid for by less people than, e.g., those who buy a toaster.
Clauso 02 Jan 2009

I just nabbed a Mountain Equipment down bag from Go Outdoors. RRP £200 and a steal at £90 in the sale.
 Arjen 02 Jan 2009
In reply to Clauso:

...filled with owl down?
Clauso 02 Jan 2009
In reply to Arjen:

Naturally. Only the very finest owl down: it's lovely and warm but it causes you to become nocturnal.
 Max factor 02 Jan 2009
In reply to Clauso:

phd down gear - it really is the nuts. I payed a pretty price for a marmot helium bag but sad to say it, the down in the PHD bag my girlfriend got seems to have a much better loft to it. if I was spending my cash again I would get their kit, no question.
anthonyecc 02 Jan 2009
In reply to brokenjockstrap: why compromise comfort for the sake of money? it will inevitably lead to disappointment if you buy anything inferior. think of it as an investment rahter than an expense. they same applies to walking boots and rucksacks! most of the best stuff on the market is expensive, deal with it!
 sutty 02 Jan 2009

£300 for 30 years use so £10 a year, not bad.

I have two bags, one cost £30 approx 40 years ago, the other retailed at £70 30 years ago though I got it trade for £40, filled with best eider down. Still as good as new, though not had much use the last 10 years or so. good for below freezing anyway and the old one is good for huts and summer camping.

Also, look at how much a good Goose down duvet costs, best part of £100 when you find them. Most have cheaper fillings.
In reply to sutty:

all the top end down jackets are £200+

also in recent years methods of retrieving down have improved reducing the cost in the down itself - hence lower prices.
climbermike 02 Jan 2009
In reply to brokenjockstrap:all sleeping bags are a rip off thats all i`ve got ta say
 shaun stephens 02 Jan 2009
In reply to brokenjockstrap: a sleeping bag keeps you warm and comfy enabling you to get a good nights sleep before going on the hill, compare this to the £550 price tag seen on a D&G handbag last week and i would say sleeping bags are dirt cheep. By the way i do not own said handbag
 winhill 02 Jan 2009

Does it get you down?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...