UKC

Crux AK-47 versus POD Black Ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
clay 30 Dec 2008
For Scottish winter load-bearing. What are the benefits of the extendible versus non extendible lids on the Crux options?

If you had to choose between the Crux and the POD?

Discuss
 vincentvega 30 Dec 2008
In reply to clay:

the benefits with the extendable lid, are that when all your gear is in your bag,(and it will be full) ready for the walk in, the rope can sit nicely on the top of your pack with the lid extended over it, rather than trying to force a fixed lid over the rope.

Id buy the crux!
 Patrick803 30 Dec 2008
In reply to clay: I agree, the crux is very comfortable when loaded up, I cant think of a bad thing to say about it, quite obviously designed by a climber.I have the non extendible and have no problems carrying everything I need.Would have another one without doubt.
 stumc 30 Dec 2008
In reply to clay: Crux is much lighter and simpler, BUT I would have the POD as I already have one. I got it in 2003 and its been to the Alps, Pyrenees, Canada and has walked and climbed throughout the UK. On top of which it has survived been thrown into and out of SAR Helicopters in summer and winter (more than can be said for a CRUX that I know of). I like the way it can be stripped to lighten it or left as it is to carry big loads. The back system is good too as its not to complex but can handle the loads the floating allows you to pack.
 Archangel 30 Dec 2008
In reply to clay: I own a crux AK 47, I hate it, I'll sell you mine. Other than being very light and having strapping that is, apparently, rated I can't think of a single plus point.

Perhaps the design has improved in the past few years, but I dream about a decent rucksack like my old lowe alpine, or a POD, or a MacPac.

About five years ago I wrote a post along the lines of 10 reasons why I hate my crux. I can't find it now but that summed it up nicely.

Don't be a sheep!
 mgce25c 30 Dec 2008
In reply to clay:

Has anyone had any problems with the hipbelt on the crux because its not removable and getting in the way when wearing a harness?

Many thanks

Will
 mgce25c 30 Dec 2008
In reply to Archangel:
I'm sure I might be able to take it of your hands if its that bad lol
 Tamati 30 Dec 2008
In reply to vincentvega: The black ice has an extendable lid
In reply to clay: I have a POD Blackice. Is carried over 100lb before, I know this because I was charged £184 excess yes not total but excess baggage for its contents. Its been out to Chamonix twice and Norway four times aswell as numerous Scottish trips, in and out of helicopters and a 5 year stint with MR. Its upstairs in as good a nick as it was when I got it.

I havent had a Crux AK47 but I have a Crux 30 which had to go back for repair after one Scottish trip. The anchor points for the haul loop and strap tore away from the material.
Franklin the pedantic cat 30 Dec 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

I was all ready to buy the Black Ice. I'd set my heart on it. When it came to trying it in Needlesports with a whole load of weight in it, it just didn't fit & was incomfortable. Reluctantly I tied a Crux & have been delighted with it ever since.
In reply to Franklin the pedantic cat: well that is the most important thing : )
Franklin the pedantic cat 30 Dec 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

It's showing no signs of wear after 10 months or so....
Ian Black 30 Dec 2008
In reply to clay: Can highly recommend the Black ice. Had mine about eight years now and done everything from 4000m peaks, Classic Alpine routes,Scottish winter stuff, and it even goes to the crag with me. Cannot fault it.
Mambrino's Helmet 30 Dec 2008
In reply to clay: Mrs Mambrino's Helmet used this Crux bag on a six night trip to over 6000m (unsupported, no mules etc) and we were both well impressed, especially considering I bought it as a lightweight alpine/winter sac. I was using a 65 litre macpac and we both travelled light.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...