UKC

NEWS: Band, Cooksey and Gregory in New Year Honours List

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 31 Dec 2008
Three climbers were recognised in today's New Year Honours List: George Band, Dr. Albert Roy Cooksey and Barry David Gregory.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=12&year=2008#n45531
 andy 31 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Hurrah - well done Cooksey's dad.
 2pints 31 Dec 2008
In reply to andy:
Woodhead MRT isn't in Holmfirth, IIRC it's in Penistone about 20 miles to the east!
 TonyM 31 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Great news about Band. The recognition is very belated.

Kangchenjunga was the only 8000m peak with a first ascent by Brits. Wasn't until 1970 that any more British citizens stood on top of an 8000ers (by any route).
 Al Evans 31 Dec 2008
In reply to TonyM: George was also the first person to greet and congratulate Hillary and Tenzing during their descent from the summit of Everest. Ed had tears in his eyes when he recalled it.
Comms27 31 Dec 2008
In reply to 2pints:
> (In reply to andy)
> Woodhead MRT isn't in Holmfirth, IIRC it's in Penistone about 20 miles to the east!

No its not its based at the Victoria Crossroads 5 miles North of Penistone on the W/s Yorks County boundary - Crow Edge to be precise. A distance from HQ to Holmfirth town centre of about 5 Kms if that.

Mind you if Her Maj wants it to be in Holmfirth then so be it

Well done Barry from all your team mates
 Caralynh 31 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Heyyy nice one Barry - do I have to curtsey now??

chris fox 31 Dec 2008
In reply to TonyM:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Great news about Band. The recognition is very belated.
>
> Kangchenjunga was the only 8000m peak with a first ascent by Brits. Wasn't until 1970 that any more British citizens stood on top of an 8000ers (by any route).

50-odd years late for Mr Band i say.
OP Michael Ryan 31 Dec 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to TonyM) George was also the first person to greet and congratulate Hillary and Tenzing during their descent from the summit of Everest. Ed had tears in his eyes when he recalled it.

Tone down the name dropping Al. Doesn't look good. We know they are all your good friends but first name only for the late Ed Hillary is taking it a bit far ; o )

k'n hate smileys.....

canny 25 Jan 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Well done Roy Cooksey,i know from personal experience about the Life saving work the Coniston rescue do,as you rescued me off Dow craggs, All the best canny

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...