UKC

Someone fall at Stanage Edge on Dec 30th 08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CragHead 31 Dec 2008
One bloke was leading the Obligue Crack (or near there) and he didn't clipped in the first gear, he felled approxmately 3 metres and landed on his back onto the rock.

All credit for Edale and Buxton MRT and air abulance for doing their job so quickly and I hope he will be back on his feet as soon as possible.

Anyone know this news?

Sam1991 31 Dec 2008
In reply to CragHead: I was there yesterday and helped the MRT guys with the stretcher along with half a dozen or so other climbers who where around at the time. From what i heard the guy had put 3 bits of gear in, his first two had come out and his last had unclipped itself due to what I can only assume was back clipping?! although i dont know. I think this was info given by his mate belaying him. It was hovering about or just under freezing at the time, which must have played a big part in the accident. I don't think anyone should start criticising this guy for what happened, just be glad he was ok(ish). Air Ambulance was there within 15 minutes, pretty impressive i think!

If anyone knows how the climber is getting on, it would be good to hear. They suspected some kinda of spinal injury but didnt seem to think it was anything too serious. They never take chances with anything like that though do they.

Best wishes to the guy who fell, who we only knew as "Tim". Get well soon and get back on the rock Tim!!
 SGD 31 Dec 2008
In reply to CragHead: Best wishes to the Injured climber, I hope he's ok?

This is the same MR team we called a few weeks ago to Froggatt and they were excellent. Again, keep up the outstanding work.
 chris fox 31 Dec 2008
In reply to CragHead:

MRT do a wonderful job

Hope the guy recovers quickly

Chris
 Nicola 31 Dec 2008
In reply to CragHead:

I was climbing near there and thought that the MRT and air ambulance did a great job. A number of climbers helped transporting the fallen climber on a stretcher. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope that his injuries are not serious.

It would be helpful to know when assistance from climbers is useful in such rescues. A large audience is obviously unhelpful, but I expect more help when moving the stretcher would have been desirable.
 pnorth 31 Dec 2008
In reply to CragHead:

Thanks for the concern everyone.

Tim is basically fine - he's still in Northern General, where the CT scan does show a fractured vertebra, but no surgery seems to be required. He should be out on the 2nd Jan all strapped up, and then it's a few months of rest and physio.

The MRT, air ambulance, Northern General and the climbers on the scene were AMAZING. Helicopter on the ground in 10 mins, Steve the MRT doctor in 15 mins, full team in 25, back down in an ambulance in 45 and in hospital within 90 minutes of falling. Donations will be made to the Buxton and Edale MRT, and a big thanks to all on scene who helped with the stretcher carry.

The answer to one post is that it IS handy for climbers on scene to pop over. Firstly, the banter took Tim's mind off the agonising pain, secondly, the MRT needed a chain of people to get the stretcher through the boulder field. The more people, the faster. The stretcher FLEW down to the car park thanks to the 25 odd people who helped out.

Northern General is evidently staffed mostly by climbers judging by the stream of really friendly doctors and nurses who popped in to share their stories of falls and injuries, having heard over their MRT alerts. BIG thanks again, a shining example of what the NHS should be.

What happened is that Tim rested on the top piece of gear out of 3 decent-looking nuts in the solid-looking crack. We think the crack expanded, popping the small top nut. The second piece was not great anyway and popped. The last piece was good, but we'd obviously back-clipped and the rope unclipped itself. Lessons to learn in terms of gear placement, care in clipping the rope, and not pushing grades on trad.

Thanks again to all on-scene, apologies for disrupting people's day and to all the MRT staff who showed up mid shopping trips etc.

Regards

Paddy
 Simon 31 Dec 2008
In reply to pnorth:
> Northern General is evidently staffed mostly by climbers judging by the stream of really friendly doctors and nurses who popped in to share their stories of falls and injuries, having heard over their MRT alerts. BIG thanks again, a shining example of what the NHS should be.
>

We do have quite a few climbers at NGH - many of them are physio's and staff in the Orthopeadic wards and I would have thought that they see at least one climber a day in some guise - myself included several times in the past!

Glad Tim is ok - crack expanding on Stanage though - thats a new one on me!

;0)
 robw007 31 Dec 2008
In reply to CragHead:
Donate to the MRT!
 teflonpete 31 Dec 2008
In reply to CragHead: I was climbing at Christmas Crack yesterday when Tim had his fall. Was impressed with MRT too and glad to see everyone's willingness to pitch in and help get the stretcher through the boulder field. Get well soon Tim and hope to see you back on the crag in the summer.
 Misha 31 Dec 2008
Sometimes it's good to learn the hard way (has happened to me, though not in the context of an accident) - you come back wiser and hopefully the experience will help you to avoid an even stickier situation.

The accident occurred on Christmas Crack according to the MR website. Haven't done it - are there some loose flakes where gear could pop under load? A few comments on the database suggest the gear is bomber and plentiful.
 Michael Ryan 31 Dec 2008
In reply to Misha:

Mountain rescue teams do a fantastic job. You can donate to the rescue teams here: http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/giving/form.php
OP CragHead 01 Jan 2009
In reply to pnorth:

Glad he is ok now. I was one of the guy that helped the stretcher thru the boulder field (I was leading the Christmas Crack when he fall off).

Hope he doesn't put off on climbing now.
 teflonpete 02 Jan 2009
In reply to Misha: No, he wasn't on Christmas Crack. He was over on Oblique Crack or one of the Via Dexters about 20 yards to the right of CC looking at the crag.
Christmas Crack is well protected and my partner for the day climbed it as her first Hard Severe lead. She's only been trad leading since the end of the summer, logging about half a dozen leads on grit at V.Diff and Severe and she placed some bomber gear.
Not a bad bet for an early HS lead along with Sunset Crack at Froggat.
 Misha 02 Jan 2009
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully it was Via Dexter Direct (E2, looks like limited gear, though haven't done myself yet) rather than Oblique Crack (Severe)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...