UKC

Standard at competitions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nolo 05 Jan 2009
Just wondering what standard people the same age as me (14) are climbing at the BMC Youth Climbing Series. What grade should I be able to on-sight indoors to stand a reasonable chance of getting somewhere a bit more intersting than bottom?

Thanks!
 muppetfilter 05 Jan 2009
In reply to nolo: Lack of sleep stunts your growth and will rule you out for reachy problems above 7b+...
In reply to muppetfilter:

LMAO

but on a serious note - have you check the bmc website or the like, christ have you even bothered to check on the ukc articles section lol.
OP nolo 05 Jan 2009
In reply to muppetfilter: Haha, brilliant!
OP nolo 05 Jan 2009
In reply to andrew sandercock: I looked at the BMC site and it lists grades for the 'Leading Ladder', but I couldn't see anything for the Youth Climbing Series. I will have a look at the UKC Articles now, good shout!
 muppetfilter 05 Jan 2009
In reply to andrew sandercock: Oh you think i jest, it is also a proven fact sleep deprivation limits your ability to source expanding fixings and eye-bolts from www.screwfix.com for art projects.

ps. I dont need to know the grades for the youth competitions im 33 fat and weak and with this much grey i cant pass as a teen (I tried on the bus last week)
 jl100 05 Jan 2009
In reply to nolo: 7a/+ used to do to get you in the top three in Yorkshire though i know its harder in the Peak and SE. As for bouldering i guess around V4 would be good. Im sure standards have improved though since '05. If you can onsight over 50% of the 7a's you try you should enter as its a fun experience and will improve your climbing for sure.
In reply to nolo:

If you want to do well in the BMCYCS at 14 you'd best aim for an onsight grade of around 7a and bouldering onsight/flash of around V4.

Even if you climb 6b+ and V2 you'll be nowhere near the bottom!

Hope that helps

Tom
In reply to muppetfilter:

no i think you'll find being a lazy art student prevents any ability to source masonry anchors!

ps it all went to sh#t anyway, anchors and hangers worked a treat though!
 will smith11 16 Jan 2009
In reply to nolo: I would go for it if I was you. Last year I entered for the first time not knowing how I would do and I came fourth and it was really good. Even if you dont do well its still great fun and a good experience.

Will
 Will Goldsmith 16 Jan 2009
In reply to nolo:

As far as i can remember, for the oldest catagory - (13-15?) the rough grades of the lead routes were 6b+/, 6c+/7a, 7b/+.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...