UKC

Guide / Instructor wanted for ice climbing in Norway - end Feb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Eckles 12 Jan 2009
Two of us are looking to go ice climbing in Norway the last week of Feb and are looking for an instructor / guide for 3 days at a sensible price - not the £300 per day I've been quoted. We have done a limited amount of ice climbing and are well used to trekking on glaciers and have our own kit.

Is any one interested in going with us or can anyone make any reconditions?

Cheers
David
 Doghouse 12 Jan 2009
In reply to David Eckles:

Is £300 a day not a sensible price then?
fxceltic 12 Jan 2009
In reply to David Eckles: Where in norway are you going? its a big place.
 liz j 12 Jan 2009
Think that £300 is pretty much the going rate I'm afraid. That's still only £450 each for what will be an action packed 3 days.
fxceltic 12 Jan 2009
In reply to David Eckles: if youre only going to rjukan and have some ice climbing experience, good ropework and a copy of rockfax should be all the guide you need really.
theres plenty of easy stuff to go at, some short stuff, some long, all with virtual roadside access, most with decent belays at the tops
In reply to David Eckles: I can thoroughly recommend Andreas from Northern Alpine Guides:
- http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=317081

Cheers
fxceltic 12 Jan 2009
In reply to fxceltic: having just re-read the title of the thread I have realised you want an instructor, not just a guide, sorry.
in which case the price quoted seems reasonable to me.

I repeat though, you should be ok without in rjukan, learn as you go, on a top rope if necessary.
Alternatively you can get cheaper guides in scotland, may be more reasonable to go there first, learn what you think you need and then go to norway.
 Mark Stevenson 12 Jan 2009
In reply to David Eckles: The AMI minimum recommended rate for an MIA/MIC is 175 per day for private clients (Guide rates possibly higher).

However that is the going rate purely for the instructors time working locally in the UK and doesn't include any premium for travelling to/from Norway and living there. When you include that element, 300 isn't that much.

Therefore if you were paying all travel, accommodation and expenses then you might well find someone for closer to 175/day but that'd still cost you a fair amount and a local guide might still be cheaper.

HTH

OP David Eckles 14 Jan 2009
In reply to liz j: Thanks for all the comments - the £300 I was quoted was for a guide who lived in Norway - hence I thought it was a little expensive - also I haven't employed a guide or instructor (or least not in Europe) for a while so inflation has obviously played a part !!
Regards
David
 telemarker 14 Jan 2009
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

As an aside that good to here because I am booked on a 6 day course with Andreas in Feb.
 llanberis36 18 Jan 2009

contact bruce goodlad.
Vip1r 19 Jan 2009
In reply to telemarker:
> (In reply to Nick Smith - UKC)
>
> As an aside that good to here because I am booked on a 6 day course with Andreas in Feb.

Excellent-Andreas is a good man and you'll learn alot from him...what he doesn't know about the area and climbing, isn't worth knowing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...