UKC

Yeti Gaiters?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TWR 15 Jan 2009
I'm considering buying a pair of Berghaus Yeti Gaiters to fit to my Scarpa Omega Plastics. The main reason is they leak a bit and I am fed up of wet feet. I was going to glue them on, as my other expirences of Yeti's have involved them popping off and being a nightmare to pop back on.

I know this kind of changes the boot for ever, but It will make them better for Scottland and the alps in winter.

I'm unlikely to use the boot for summer alpine again.

Tell my why I shouldn't do this?

Thanks.
 wilkie14c 15 Jan 2009
In reply to TWR:
Too much toruble for me so I got rid of mine but there is a great video on youtube about fitting them - you'll have to do a search though!
 fishy1 15 Jan 2009
In reply to TWR:

Even if you were using them for summer alpine, why would it be bad to have them glued on?

I got a pair of ski march gaiters, basically extra heavy duty yeti gaiters, to fit boots size 13-14. My boots were size 12, and it was a hellish task getting them on, involving washing up liquid, a hair dryer, boiling water, two guys, several tyre levers, two evenings, and two bleeding fingers. Although, now, they're so tight, I know they wont come off, so glueing is unneccessary.
 henbot 15 Jan 2009
In reply to TWR: What size boot is your omega? I have some Outdoor Designs Karakorum Gaiters which I bought on a recommendation as being more durable that the Berghaus ones. They have only been used twice, and have never been glued or anything.
OP Anonymous 15 Jan 2009
In reply to TWR:

is this Tom Ripley in disguise?!
 Jim Fraser 15 Jan 2009
In reply to TWR:

I used them back in the 80s and then went on to using canvas most of the time. I got issued a pair a few years ago which eventually fell apart so last season I bought a new pair of Yetis for using on my Vegas. I have always used 2 modifications.

- Carefully sculpt the forward corners of the heel of the boot so that the gaiter is rubbing on a smooth surface and doesn't split. Same for the rear edges of the front part of the sole if they look like they will cause a problem.

- Use contact adhesive around the toes of the boot to make sure the gaiter doesnt ride up. Put the gaiter on the boot and position it a millimeter of two clear of the crampon slot. When you are happy with where it is going to sit, peel it back a bit, exposing 10 to 15mm more boot. Apply contact adhesive (traditional Evostik or similar) on the exposed area and peel the rand back into position. Leave to dry.

Even with fairly heavy amateur use you might last a whole season without having to do the whole adhesive thing again. You can still peel the gaiter off the back of the boot and let it all dry out and get any grit out with the toe still stuck in place. If you really need to take them off, very carefully peel them away a little bit at a time and use a scalpel or Stanley knife if necessary to cut into the adhesive layer if the rand looks like its starting to rip. Tears in the rand can often be fixed with superglue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...