UKC

NEW REVIEW: Gogarth North from Ground Up - by John Yates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 19 Jan 2009
John Yates grapples with the new Gogarth North guide from Ground-Up Publishing.

"North Wales Rock was always going to be a hard act to follow. In Gogarth North the Ground Up team have produced the first instalment of what will be the essential and definitive guide to a world class climbing venue... ...And it is testimony to the passion and commitment of the vibrant climbing community that flourishes in North Wales – we owe them a debt of gratitude..."

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1549
 Ian McNeill 19 Jan 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

let not forget to mention page 244 .....

apart from that its a great book ... that will get some use in the loo !

and than out on the crags.... exploring areas I have yet to go....

lets hope the Gogarth souths books just as enthralling...

Al Evans 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Ian McNeill: Unfortunately there are other pages like 244, but overall it is an excellent guide and I avoided mention of the misprinting in my review for the CCJ.
 AJM 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Al Evans:

Assuming its a real production copy you reviewed and not a tester copy, why wouldn't you mention it? Its entirely possible to generally praise the guide but mention poor print quality if it exists, surely?

AJM

John2 19 Jan 2009
In reply to AJM: My copy has a very small amount of text missing on one page only.

I have to say, I wonder why more guide book producers do not take Alan James' advice and source their printing in the UK. This means that they can check the output as the first copies come off the presses, and correct any faults that they find. Surely it would not add more than 50p or so to the price of the final product?
 Dom Whillans 19 Jan 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
mine has the printing errors on some left hand pages... Overall though, it's boss!
Simon Panton not registered 19 Jan 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: I did agonise over how this should be dealt with - on the one hand I wanted to be straight with people, but I also didn't want to make a mountain out of a molehill. Perhaps releasing the following statement earlier might have been better:

Just for the record, pages 241, 244, 253 and 256 have a narrow strip down the edge of the outside of the page where the black ink is missing. On at least one of the pages this is hard to spot and has not had much impact, on the others the last or first words are missing from each line of the text. Generally speaking it is quite easy to summise what the missing words are though.

This printing error has occurred in all of the books. When the delivery arrived in Llanberis I spotted the problem, but on balance I viewed the errors to be too minor to justify rejecting an entire print run.

Obviously if any purchasers of the guide feel disgruntled they can return their copy to the shop for a refund.

Apologies,

Simon Panton
 Dom Whillans 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Simon Panton not registered:
cheers si, i personally think that it'll be a "first edition" selling point in years to come...
 mux 19 Jan 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Had quick squiz of a friends a week or two ago, and it looked great, I love the regrading ....I am climbing harder than I thought !

I am a little pissed however that now I will have to put 2 books in the car before taking off for the garth...I dont know how many times I will get to bangor only to remember I left one of them in the loo at home.....

great topos and motivating photos

well done chaps !.. its on the birthday wish list ....
 Al Evans 19 Jan 2009
In reply to AJM:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Assuming its a real production copy you reviewed and not a tester copy, why wouldn't you mention it? Its entirely possible to generally praise the guide but mention poor print quality if it exists, surely?
>
> AJM

It was not a free copy and was bought and I think Simon has answered the point and I suspect that the minor page faults would have cost the climber on the crag if they had chose to reject them. What is the point in criticising for its own sake?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...