UKC

Best fuel for MSR stoves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neil O'Brien 20 Jan 2009
What have people found is the best fuel for MSR stoves ie least priming and mantanance.

Neil
 George Fisher 20 Jan 2009
In reply to neil O'Brien:

Gas
 richard kirby 20 Jan 2009

Coleman is the cleanest and best but expensive and hard to find.

I've always used unleaded petrol which is fine. You never have a problem getting it straight off a flight at 10pm en route to a campsite.
OP neil O'Brien 20 Jan 2009
In reply to richard kirby: Thanks for the info, amazing how these querys arise on a slow day at work. o well back to stove mantanance

Neil
 fhyndoh 20 Jan 2009
In reply to neil O'Brien: mine likes petrol, though you get more fuel density with kerosene or diesel, but you've got to carry priming fuel.

an an associated issue, does anyone know where i can get hold of decent priming paste/gel?
 Andy Hardy 20 Jan 2009

I have a coleman peak 1 which I run on "essence C" as bought in French hardware stores. Its sold as dry cleaning fluid and works a treat. Don't use "essence F" though I did and it burnt a bit hot. I switched it off pronto as the pre heat element was glowing a dull coppery red in about 3 seconds flat,and that didn't seem right.

Worth a try for your MSR I'd have thought.
 stuartf 20 Jan 2009
In reply to fhyndoh:

I've used paraffin in my Whisperlite quite a lot, and it doesn't need priming paste since there's a wick to get it lit. It's a little bit harder to light than petrol, but burns hotter once it gets going. It makes things even sootier than petrol when priming though.
OP neil O'Brien 20 Jan 2009
In reply to stuartf:

Have been using paraffin but it can be i right pain to light, and it is a right pain to clean the stove. i think petrol may be the way forward as its dead easy to light and get hold of any where also it does burn a bit cleaner, not much but the cleaner the better for me.

mike swann 20 Jan 2009
In reply to neil O'Brien: In case you've never seen it, this is quite handy.

http://www.welcomehome.org/backcountry/fuel.names.txt
mike swann 20 Jan 2009
In reply to mike swann: And this ones a bit tidier.
http://fuel.papo-art.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...