UKC

cleaning climbing holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sbaddy 25 Jan 2009
We have purchased some new holds for our climbing wall so have taken down some of the old, dirty ones. I thought I might try and clean the old ones, bearing in mind I don't have a high powered jet what do people recommend to clean the holds, I was thinking of soda crystals
In reply to sbaddy:
hire a pressure washer, otherwise get the tooth brush out!
 MorganPreece 25 Jan 2009
In reply to sbaddy: No! Dish Washer! Holds Come out really good.
In reply to MorganPreecey:
oh didnt think about that!
 Metro_Cowboy 25 Jan 2009
In reply to sbaddy:

Dishwasher works pretty well, put it on the longest, most thorough cycle it allows, and crumble a tablet or two over the holds rather than putting them in the holder. You might want to do a rinse before using it for dishes again.
 noahb 25 Jan 2009
In reply to MorganPreecey: the dishwasher idea is the way to go, worked a treat on he holds at my local
OP Anonymous 25 Jan 2009
In reply to sbaddy:

some who have used dishwashers have found that holds have tended to disintergrate(sp) over time and washes in said dishwasher....perhaps due to detergents used or residue from the machines?

i'd say invest in a pressure washer, waterproof overalls, wellies and some elbow grease

i've always cleaned this way, cold as it may be during colder months but does trick and method used by many climbing walls ala boulderuk and i think works
lanky_suction1 26 Jan 2009
In reply to sbaddy:

The pressure washer method has been the most commmon in walls until now. I think the Works are now distributing a purpose-made hold cleaner that dissolves all the chalk and grease without damaging the holds.

It may be on their website?

In reply to sbaddy:

Be carefull with dish washer we found using a hot wash bleeched the holds. also some dish washer tablets have a polish agent in them wich makes the holds quite slippery! (although this wears of with time)
simon
Duncan P 26 Jan 2009
In reply to sbaddy:

Power hose and waterproofs or:

Benkys grip wash (from So Ill)! Check out www.climbingworks.com and find the link to the you tube video that shows how great the stuff is!!!!

Cheers
 MorganPreece 26 Jan 2009
In reply to simon rawlinson:
Si ares seem to come out really good, even the ones we have had for years
Morg's
 afrophish 28 Jan 2009
In reply to sbaddy:

Watch this
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zB-QtSK4E_M

Its from the climbing works showing how they clean the holds there.
and its green
 DaveHK 28 Jan 2009
In reply to sbaddy:

The only probs we had with the dishwasher was on older holds with a washer in the bolt hole. Differential expansion due to heat in the washer eventually cracked these but it did take years.

Holds in dishwasher = easy life.

It's so easy in fact that you could even trust the route setters to do it...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...