UKC

Ecrins Ice Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NeilPhillips 27 Jan 2009
When does the ice climbing season generally come to an end around La Grave?

Cheers
briansnail 27 Jan 2009
In reply to pine85uk: don't know - but this link might help http://teepakki.tky.fi/climb/icehome/LaGrave.htm
 Simon4 27 Jan 2009
In reply to pine85uk: the answer, needless to say is "it depends".

The North side of the valley (i.e. South facing) routes can come to an end quite early e.g. toward the end of Feb, one always needs to be careful about their conditions as they catch the sun, especially on the upper slopes.

The South side of the Valley (i.e. North facing) can last quite a bit longer, they are also often well protected by tree-clad slopes from above (but not in all cases, take care). Their suitability will vary with air temperature, both at the time of climbing and for some days before. This can vary quite dramatically, almost as much as in Scotland, but climbing on the North-facing side can last well into March.

This is all apart from the higher mountain routes near La Grave, which can continue into April and beyond, but might well need skis/snowshoes to approach.
OP NeilPhillips 27 Jan 2009
In reply to Simon4: Thankyou very much for the info
AlpineStyleNews.blogspot.com 30 Jan 2009
In reply to pine85uk:

South side is now major danger, but got to Fournell or Fresinier or Val de diable
 ericinbristol 30 Jan 2009
In reply to pine85uk:

I'm just back from La Grave. Did three routes in the last few days on the South side of the valley - Alea Jacta Est, Caturgeas, Mini Moulin. You can still do some routes on the South side if you get on them early (7.30 start climbing, down by 12.30 on shorter ones, couple of hours more on longer), choose the routes with care and choose the right conditions.
I'd add that it wasn't just us being reckless: guides like Rich Cross were out too on Alea Jacta Est.
In reply to Eric Herring:

I meant 'South facing' routes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...