UKC

Been climbing since october (indoor only) reccomend outdoor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samoflak 27 Jan 2009
I can get up some 5c's indoor, i really want to start outdoor though, does anyone have any good reccomendations for someone of my level ( i like a challenge tho) - based around london.
 David Hooper 27 Jan 2009
In reply to samoflak: Maybe email Brixton Climber who posts on here.
There seems to be a large group who go out on a regular basis.
 BoulderBus 28 Jan 2009
In reply to samoflak:

If you're into bouldering, you could try a BoulderBus trip...
 Tom Last 28 Jan 2009
In reply to samoflak:

Yes, get yourself out on the Southern Sandstone.

Good place to start, nearby and not too much gear required.
 deacondeacon 28 Jan 2009
In reply to samoflak:

Either drive or get the train down to southern sandstone and have a little boulder around.
Do you climb with anyone?
Get someone to teach you how to set-up a toprope properly , there are loads and loads of routes to keep you busy.
Good Luck
 deacondeacon 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Queequeg:

Beat me to it
 James Oswald 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Queequeg:
Don't you'll put him off outdoor climbing
 nikinko 29 Jan 2009
In reply to samoflak:

some people would stay start outdoors by joining a club, one which is happy to accept beginners of course. I didn't get on very well doing that, so replied to some posts on here and got taken out by quite a few people.

can you lead belay? This would help if people on here are going to take you outdoors. Also if you're going to do this put some info on your profile so people have more idea who they're arranging to take out.

other (more expensive) options are going on a course or a taster day, either run by your local wall or an outdoor centre somewhere.

Some people love the local sandstone, others hate it. Personaly I hated it the first time I went, but enjoyed it more as I got used to the climbing style.

If you want, drop me an email, and I'll let you know next time I'm going to the Sandstone stuff (won't be till it's dry though) and can show you how to set up top ropes and things there.

cheers

Nikki
OP samoflak 03 Feb 2009
In reply to nikinko:

Thanks for the advice, so far I only have experience with top roping. I do climb with friends but they are not as enthusiastic as I am and often end up going by myself doing bouldering. I really want to learn as much as possible as soon as possible and was thinking maybe I should do an indoor lead climbing course before venturing outside?

I have my own harness, belay and shoes. But no rope... To be honest I have no idea where to start there.

Jamie B 03 Feb 2009
In reply to samoflak:

> I should do an indoor lead climbing course before venturing outside?

I'd save the money and spend it on some gear; indoor leading is far more simplistic than outdoors and doesnt really give you much in the ways of transferrable skills to develop.
OP samoflak 03 Feb 2009
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

what length of rope do you reccomend i buy? I've seen all kinds in the shop
 silhouette 03 Feb 2009
In reply to samoflak: I'd second what Jamie said; I sometimes introduce people to leading and they pick it up in a session. I'd save the money and ask here if someone could spare a couple of hours at their favourite wall to show you. As for buying a rope, 30m is sufficient for indoor walls and it is easy to carry around. It is more economical in the long term to have a separtae indoor and outdoor (50-60m) rope, that way you don't wear out the outdoor rope so quickly.
OP samoflak 03 Feb 2009
In reply to silhouette:

awesome, thanks for all the help everyone
 nikinko 03 Feb 2009
In reply to samoflak:

where abouts round London are you based mate? Am happy to spend some time with you at Craggy (guildford)or The Castle if I'm in town, and can get you leading.

Cheers

N
OP samoflak 04 Feb 2009
In reply to nikinko:

North london, palmers green area, seanpicli at gmail dot com

nice one
 nikinko 11 Feb 2009
In reply to samoflak:

have emailed you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...