Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Grivel G12 regulation spring failure

petestack - on 01 Feb 2009
To anyone about to read this, it sounds impossible, but it happened...

Basically, a brand new G12 crampon came apart halfway up Ben Nevis today (1 February) because the 'regulation spring' (the sprung plate with plunger which locks the adjustment bar to back section) simply disappeared! I was soloing up a short pitch of Grade II/III ice, looked down, saw the rear points hanging loose and simply couldn't believe my eyes when I realised what had happened...

Having double-checked the fit of the unaffected crampon, it appears that what happened (losing this spring with crampons attached to the boot) is basically impossible unless it was faulty to start with, in which case the plunger could conceivably have 'popped' between the sole cleats and the whole spring slid out backwards as the crampons started to separate. But, unfortunately (despite a thorough search by my partner and me), we were unable to locate the lost part to return for inspection.

This was the first real outing for this pair of crampons apart from a two-hour session at the Ice Factor on Tuesday night (27 January), at which they appeared to perform impeccably.

Clearly, this was a potentially serious situation, so I've already reported it to the supplier and am also likely to contacting Grivel about it. On which note, the purpose of this post is really two-fold:

1. To ask if this has ever happened to anyone here?
2. To warn you that it *can* happen!
... not showing 35 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums