UKC

Brian Roberts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
grubus 06 Feb 2009
I have just been shocked to hear that my old mate and former colleague Brian Roberts has died. There isn't a suitable forum for this; this seems the best because he was mainly a rock climber, so more people on this forum would know him. Does anyone know anything about his death? I have heard a rumour that he was the person who died on Pavey Ark? I last saw Brian at Stockport Wall, where he semed in great form,with lots of plans for future climbing adventures.

Sincere ondolences to all friends and family
grubus 06 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus:

I have now heard that it was indeed Brian who died on Pavey Ark, apparently a slip on ice. He took early retirement a couple of years ago and has since then climbed more or less full time, including lots of French rock, Yosemite and a recent trip to the Himalayas. He must have introduced hundreds of young people to climbing when he taught at Longdendale. When I saw him last Friday he was talking about taking a trip to Sardinia, then working his way back up Europe. I guess we shouldn't need reminding that slips are as likely to take the most experienced as the least.
 Trangia 06 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus:

How awful. My condolences to you for the loss of your friend.
 tony howard 06 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus: what a tragedy, as you may know, his brother Speedy (Dave) died a few weeks back - also a great guy and excellent climber, what a disaster for the family.

Apparently they sensibly decided to return off Jack's Rake high up due to ice, as didn't have adequate gear, then met others on what they were told was an easier alternative route and went up with them, only for a disastrous slip to happen.

Great lad, too good to go in such a tragic way.
 Ian Dunn 06 Feb 2009
In reply to tony howard: I had one of my best days climbing ever with Brian when we did Dent de Cyrille near Briancon, 12 pitches, 8 of 6c or 6c+ it was just an amazing day and route.
I couldn't have done it with a nicer person, great company safe and sound a fantastic companion on the hill.
We did a lot of other routes during that holiday and I will remember him laughing and pushing himself on those sport routes. Memories that I will always have.

I heard this morning and I have been gutted all day, such a sad lose for his family.

RIP Brian
 craig h 06 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus:

Very sad news, what a nice person he was, always a joy to meet and to talk to. There are some nice tributes to him here mostly from former pupils.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1095209_tributes_to_dead_clim...

I probably last saw him at the Stockport Wall as well, he was always keen, happy and was enjoying his retirement from what I could see.

Sincere condolences to all family and friends
Brian William 07 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus:
Brian was a good friend. I first climbed with him in Cornwall about 30 years ago. I remember his telling me to "Give it some bottle" on a route called Paragon when I was beginning to flag.
It's so difficult to believe that he has died.
 Al Evans 07 Feb 2009
In reply to tony howard: I knew Brian and Speedy, what a double tragedy for the family, condolences to all.
 paget 07 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus: Heard about Brian yesterday and was gutted. I was lucky enough to climb with him on occasion and feel privilaged to have known him. He had a passion for climbing and was a fun person to be with.
"Death is more universal than life, everyone dies but not everyone lives" quote- A. Sachs.
Brian lived!
Rest in Peace
Brango 07 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus
Brian was a good guy.He'll be much missed by all those who knew him.Bruce Goodwin
PDB 08 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus:

Mr Roberts was my P.E teacher at Longdendale High School over 7 years ago, he was a great man a great teacher and from what I am hearing (as I didn't know he was a climber untill recently) he was a great climber too.
I met him again last year at awesome walls stockport and he still recognised me and looked in great shape for a man of his age.
he will be sorely missed by all and may I offer my condolences to all his friends and family.

RIP Mr Roberts
 sutty 08 Feb 2009
In reply to Brango:

Hi Bruce, Keith here. Do I know Brian, can't recall him ATM.

May see you at the dinner.
 carl dawson 08 Feb 2009
Very sorry to hear this about an old climbing partner. Many sympathies to family.
Carl
 mrconners 09 Feb 2009
Tragic loss,
I spent many a day at the crag with Brian he was great company and a really accomplished climber. Myself and 3 friends had the pleasure of spending 3 weeks with him climbing in Thailand which was one of the most memorable trips i have had and made all the better for being in his company.
He was always a source of wisdom and inspiration and will be sadly missed.
I still cant believe it.
kcammack 09 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus:
Brian will be sadly missed, I was shocked and dumbfounded to hear the news that it was Brian who died on Langdale. I will fondly remember the time I spent with Brian at MCC and Thailand. He was a fantastic climber and fun to be around. Sincere condolences to his family and friends
sdsplus 09 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus: Very sad to hear. Whilst I didn't know Brian that well he was always friendly and took time to chat. Last saw him late last year whilst ascending Alphin Pike with my 6 year old. He was off on a tour of Chew followed by tea in The Cross Keys in preparation for a Himalaya trip. Struck me as a picture of contentment and enthusiasm. My sympathies to his family.
 Frankie boy 10 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus:
If it's the guy I think it is, I met him in Arapiles, he was a great guy.
Condolences to the family......
MikeWatson 10 Feb 2009
I am very sorry to hear about Brian. I climbed with him for many years, good memories.

John Dunne 10 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus: Very sad to hear about Brians death last week.I have bumped into Brian over the years at many crags and walls and admired his enthusiam for climbing.
My condolences to all friends and family
 cmgcmg 10 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus:

Sorry to hear about Brian. He taught me PE and encouraged me to do cross country running. I still run regularly. One time (1987) he carried me all the way from the rugby pitch to the medical room with a huge cut in my leg where somebody’s stud had made a large incision. I recently caught up with him at MCC where he belayed me while he was resting. He was an inspirational bloke who made the most of life.
JonRoger 10 Feb 2009
"Give it some bottle" His favourite phrase when someone looked like backing off a pitch that Brian thought he should climb - used it on me often enough. One of the good guys.
kathryn crawley 11 Feb 2009
In reply to grubus:

I have just heard the sad news of Brians death. What a tragedy. Brian taught PE at Longdendale High School where both myself and my brother attended. I had the pleasure of meeting up with him and his wife again a couple of years ago whilst horse riding in Delph, Saddleworth. I recognised him instantly. He hadn't aged one bit! A true gentleman and an inspiration to others.
My thoughts go to his family at this very sad time and may he rest in peace.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...