UKC

kinder downfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
wilfblades 06 Feb 2009
Has any one been up to the downfall this week. I know the a57 is shut but anybody been up there climbing.
cheers Wilf
 Duncan I 06 Feb 2009
In reply to wilfblades:

It'll need a few days yet - there were a couple of icy bits on it last night but there was still a lot of water coming down it.
 Petarghh 06 Feb 2009
In reply to wilfblades: went up on tuesday wasnt any good, grindsbrook had some icy scrambling thats about it!
 gethin_allen 06 Feb 2009
In reply to wilfblades:
I feel better reading this as i have no chance of getting up to it.
 Tony the Blade 06 Feb 2009
In reply to Petarghh:

That's exactly where I planned on going tomorrow - good news. Might have a bit of fun yet!
 Tony the Blade 09 Feb 2009
 Alex Thompson 09 Feb 2009
In reply to Tony the Blade: How did you get on?
 Tony the Blade 09 Feb 2009
In reply to Alex Thompson:

Didn't give it a go, after a late night at Simon's I didn't get to the downfall until 1ish. However, I did manage an easy ascent of Back Tor on Saturday.

Great day out though.
 Danzig 09 Feb 2009
In reply to wilfblades: It's in complete melt-down mode & not worth the walk-in, unless you just fancy the walk of course. Went up saturday and it was thawing quick, some will have survived via the frost on saturday night but the temperature rose again sunday and it snowed quite a bit, after todays rain I can't see there being alot left. When we left (after a nasty lob-see pics) the ice was fairly detached from the rock face and the icicles were moving in the wind! Try watching the vid taken as we were leaving: youtube.com/watch?v=rTeXUajlaoU& -and it should give you some idea how rotten it is/was/will be. Fingers crossed we get another cold snap soon...
 frankcp87 09 Feb 2009
 Danzig 09 Feb 2009
In reply to wilfblades: Not sure if its actually got a winter-guise, but it'll be Downfall Climb to start (upto the ledge/cave) and then either Downfall Climb (if trending left across the ledges), Harvest (if staying with the crack and up onto the butress), or Downfall South Corner (right from the ledge/cave).
 Ben C 12 Feb 2009
In reply to wilfblades: How are things looking for weekend? Spurious predictions about weather welcome. Is there still ice/ frozen ground around?
anthonyecc 12 Feb 2009
In reply to wilfblades: We were there at 4am this morning! water running allover it then, needs a decent freeze me thinks. the Ice wasn't great though
Ian Black 12 Feb 2009
In reply to Ben C:
> (In reply to wilfblades) How are things looking for weekend? Spurious predictions about weather welcome. Is there still ice/ frozen ground around?

I've just walked the dog(i'm in N.Lancs) and the cow troughs are still frozen. There will definitely be ice to climb in the lakes at weekend, unless we have a heatwave between now and then.
 Ben C 13 Feb 2009
In reply to Ian Black: Thanks wrong location mind!-0
 Botion 13 Feb 2009
In reply to Ben C: Bit crap in Peakland at the mo- went along the Great Ridge yesterday on the hunt for climbable snow/ice. Far less snow than the weekend, what's left is mostly powder, with streams unfrozen. Back Tor's gully was practicaly bare, plenty of snow on Mam Tor, but it's unconsolidated powder. Found a good patch of steep neve on Mam Tor overlooking the Mam Nick Pass which gave a good 20 mins of fun- nothing special though, but worth doing if you're passing by.
 Ben C 16 Feb 2009
In reply to Bo Robertson: Just to report 3 teams did Kinder Downfall on Saturday. Running water behind top bit but fine. Ice bouldering to be had at top but I guess that's the last for now......it was great!
elephantspittle 17 Feb 2009
In reply to wilfblades:

Guess with this warming weather it might be melting away quickly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...