UKC

Kendal Climbing Wall grading system.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Hartley 10 Feb 2009
I went back after 2 years or so last night and was surprised to find that things which should be well inside my grade were proving a little tricksy. Maybe I'm just worse than I thought I was but they just seems a little weird.

For example, a '5+' seriously threw me on the lead, it was nye on impossible to make the move after the second clip, and I know I was tired by that point but still. I'd climbed things graded higher without too much difficulty earlier on.

So how do the grades work at Kendal. Is it just me who's just not use to them...or are they abit skewif.
martin22 10 Feb 2009
In reply to Mike Hartley:

depends who set the routes. I reckon the grades are quite soft in general compared to other walls, eg Sunderland, But the routes that Ian Vickers has been setting seem tougher than others at the same grade. TBH though i'd say the Vickers routes are more accurately graded.
 Jim Lancs 10 Feb 2009
They are generally okay as a guide from one to the other. However they do differ in style quite a lot and some do not suit me as much as others. (Bit like real routes).

Given that, there also some which do seem to be a little out - but it's no big deal. It's only a wall - get out in the hills at the moment with the Lakes Winter Climbing Guide if you want to see grade variations!
 GrahamD 10 Feb 2009

In general, I think Kendal grades are out - on average they are about a grade overgraded. I reckon that either you found an anomoly or you were having an off day !
 chris_j_s 10 Feb 2009

I don't think there is a clean cut answer here. It depends a bit on the setter, some seem to overgrade, some undergrade and sometimes they are just right!!

They do seem to listen to and seek feedback and adjust grades if necessary as well.

As someone above noted the style of the route makes a big difference. e.g. I can pretty much guarantee to climb f6c+ on slabs first time, but on vertical ground only 50% of the time. On very steep overhanging routes I am frequently falling off f6a+'s on the first attempt!
 Bella 10 Feb 2009
In reply to Mike Hartley: Some of the routes are overgraded, some aren't, and a few are undergraded. All depends on the style of the route and what your strengths and weaknesses are.

I've not found kendal wall grades to be any more or less skewif than other climbing walls.

It's a climbing wall, just judge the grades relative to your own progress, because anywhere you climb outside is going to be different anyways.

And maybe it was just because you were tired?
 ginger_lord 10 Feb 2009

I always found the grades a bit all over the place. Much like outdoor climbing so it made it a bit fun. Would get seriously spanked by a 5, then cruise a 6a and still be unable to go and do the 5!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...