UKC

World's Lightest Screwgate 'biner

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Simon Marsh 16 Feb 2009
premier post photo
Climbing racks just got lighter. Weighing-in at a remarkable mere 41 grams, DMM is proud to announce the launch of the world's lightest screwgate carabiner.

The Phantom Wiregate biner was ground-breaking, combining lightness, strength and functionality to produce the lightest and strongest quickdraw in the world. Following on from this quest for strength and lightness, it was logical to turn this technology to locking carabiners.

The result is the Phantom Screwgate.

At 41 grams it is the world's lightest screwgate carabiner! It has all the virtues of its sibling and with stats of 24 kN Major Axis, 9kN Minor Axis and 9kN gate open, strength has clearly not been compromised in the slightest. The Phantom also has a keylock nose and is one of the most advanced carabiners DMM has ever produced.

The Phantom Screwgate is hot forged using DMM's signature I Beam construction and finished to the same exacting standards we always set ourselves. The Phantom may be super-light but it's still a sensible size, easy to handle and has a good working capacity. This holds true to our maxim that the functionality of the product mustn't be compromised by a desire to make an empty statement. So if you are looking to further lighten your rack these are the 'lockers' for you.

If you read our previous DMM news item, 'In Patagonia', you'll see that Tim Neil and Mat Stygall greatly appreciated DMM's lighter hardware, meaning they could move quicker and were consequently safer from getting caught out by a Patagonian storm.

DMM Patagonia News Item: http://dmmclimbing.com/newsArticle.asp?id=118
In reply to Simon Marsh: Sounds excellent! What are the physical dimensions of the new 'biner ?

Thanks
Simon Marsh 16 Feb 2009
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

Nick,

It is 7% smaller than our Shadow SG.

Thus although it shares its name with the Phantom wire gate it is quite a lot bigger.

It is the same size as the Trango Superfly SG.

The key thing for us is that we did not sacrifice strength or safety to achieve this - at 24kN major axis, 9kN minor axis and 9kN gate open it is a full strength locking biner.

Regards

Simon

Skipinder 17 Feb 2009
In reply to Simon Marsh: When will it be in the shops?
Simon Marsh 17 Feb 2009
In reply to Lawrence:

Lawrence,

We should start shipping the Phantom Screwgates on Monday along with the new Ibeam Boa and the Ibeam Zodiac locking biners.

Regards

Simon
 Skipinder 17 Feb 2009
In reply to Simon Marsh: One last question for you...what is the RRP?
Simon Marsh 17 Feb 2009
In reply to Lawrence:

It is £10.00

Regards

Simon
 Skipinder 17 Feb 2009
In reply to Simon Marsh: Thanks Simon
In reply to Simon Marsh: i have been waiting fro this how strong is it?
 Michael Ryan 21 Feb 2009
In reply to spudonrocks:
> (In reply to Simon Marsh) i have been waiting fro this how strong is it?

Read Simon's initial post: with stats of 24 kN Major Axis, 9kN Minor Axis and 9kN

wilkie14c 22 Feb 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
I have some Edelrid Golden Gate Screwgates that are 45 grams, 24/8/8 so slighly weaker in the small and open axis. They were £7 each but I don't think you can get em anymore.
I've used em for 3 or 4 years now and have no problems other than them being a little small.
Obviously I'll replace em with these as the need arises - buy British!
 Silum 23 Feb 2009
great work...and a wopping 2grams lighter than wild country...

I cant help think that very few of us care about about a gram or 10 here or there but it is nice to know u guys are working on always improving...
In reply to Silum: If you saved 10gr from every peice of mateal on your rack that would add up to about 400gr. I'd say it's worth it.....
 Richard Hall 27 Feb 2009
In reply to Alasdair Fulton: Well your rack is obviously considerably smaller than mine!
In reply to Richard Hall: Maybe a bit more - 500-600grams?
 Richard Hall 28 Feb 2009
In reply to Alasdair Fulton: Your maths mean you only 40 bits of hardwear on your harness?

I have almost that many nuts. Or were you just talking about biners?
 JamesO!? 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Richard Hall:
Ah, but his nuts are heavier than yours... :-P

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...