UKC

Multiple abs: tie both ends together or knot in each end?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ericinbristol 22 Feb 2009
My usual procedure is tying both ends together (with an overhand knot). This is slower than a knot in each end, but avoids the risk of the up rope being pulled up out of reach or, after a diagonal ab, swinging out of reach if let go accidentally. Suggestions/perspectives welcome.
 escalator 22 Feb 2009
In reply to Eric Herring:

I don't see the point of the question. Have you seen someone else do it that way, and want to know if there is a better reason to do it that way?

Stick with what you do, it is a tried and tested method.
OP ericinbristol 22 Feb 2009
In reply to escalator:

I don't see why you don't see the point of the question.
 escalator 23 Feb 2009
> (In reply to escalator)
>
> I don't see why you don't see the point of the question.

I don't see why you don't see the point about me not seeing the point of the question. Maybe this will bump it and someone else will chip in with a reply.
 escalator 23 Feb 2009
> (In reply to escalator)
>
> I don't see why you don't see the point of the question.

Oh, I think I see why you are asking me that question. Your original post was not actually a question, you only asked for 'Suggestions/perspectives'.

Sorry about that, I withdraw my last two posts.
Phil Payne 23 Feb 2009

I use both, depending on the type of terrain that I'm abbing down. If it's got trees or sticky out rocks on it then I will tie a knot in each rope in case the ropes get tangled and need to be pulled up as it's a nightmare if they're tied together. If it's just a smooth rock face then I usually just tie the two ends together.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Feb 2009

I have never bothered knotting the ends (well did once, the ensuing tangle put me off for ever) but of course that wasn't what you were asking!

Chris
OP ericinbristol 23 Feb 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Each to their own but I've had enough abs end with getting to the next abseil station on rope stretch to prefer knot(s) in ends.

[btw quick word of thanks re all the fantastic guidebook work you've done over the years]

GrahamD 23 Feb 2009

On the rare occasions I do tie knots in the ends, I tie a seperate overhand on the bite into each end as this allows twists to work out of the ropes. Most of the time if I can see where I'm going I don't bother though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...