UKC

Macpac sleeping bags...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stuzz 23 Feb 2009
Just looking for some general opinions on them really. they look nice but i can't find many reviews of them!

Anyone got one or had experience of one? if so how do you rate it?

Are they worth the money or is there better out there for a similar price?

Cheers in advance everyone!

p.s. looking at the sanctuary 900 XP specificly but general opinions are also much appreciated!
OP Stuzz 24 Feb 2009
In reply to Stuzz:

What, no one on here has an opinion on them? could this be a UKC first?
 timbers 24 Feb 2009
In reply to Stuzz:

One reply!! Got the 500 one. Really nice bag, seems well made. Had it two years now, used a fair amount. I like it!! Hope that helps.
 Damo 24 Feb 2009
In reply to Stuzz:

They're good bags. Here in Australia they always had a good reputation. They were quite expensive, but seem to be better value now, though of course they're not made in NZ anymore.

The vertical baffles on the chest area are good, IMO, to stop the down falling down the sides. I have no experience of the LoftPro outer shell, but it's Reflex I believe. Other forms of Reflex have tended to be waterproof but not as breathable as any Gore material. I don't know how LoftPro fits into that, it says it's water-resistant, so maybe it's more breathable.

For a while some years ago Macpac used Epic on their bag shells, and a climbing partner had a bit of an epic in an Antarctic storm with his bag getting very wet from spindrift because the Epic was not nearly water resistant enough. So for that reason I always avoided Macpac bags in recent years, but now that seems irrelevant.

D
 Thadius 25 Feb 2009
In reply to Stuzz:

Worked in an outdoor store for a while and we had Macpac down bags coming being shipped in their compression sacks, not their lofting sacks.
Those weren't the top end bags like the Sanctuarys but treating down like that doesn't impress me. If I were looking at a Macpac bag I'd definitely investigate.
As an aside - shops are often as bad. I've seen -25C Rab down bags stored in another shop in their compression sacks. Strikes me as potentially dangerous. Someone takes it to -25 and it's lost half its loft. Anyway, I'm rambling.
 Thadius 25 Feb 2009
In reply to Stuzz:
Oh but to actually reply to your question I am impressed by the Sanctuary XPs. Water resistant coating where it's needed, lighter material were you can get away with it. GOod quality down, provided its been treated well.
OP Stuzz 26 Feb 2009
In reply to Thadius:

Cheers for the input! it does look a nice bag. only concern is that it looks to be heavier than alot of other down bags...

Anyway, Cheers everyone!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...