UKC

Down Sleeping Bag and Sleeping Mat - advice please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Twinkle 03 Mar 2009
I'm going to South Africa for three weeks at the end of March and I will need a comfortable sleeping bag and mat.

My first thoughts were to get a down 3-season bag from alpkit and a self -inflating sleeping mat. However Alpkit are out of stock until April

Any recommendations/thoughts?
Twinkle 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Twinkle:

Bump - nobody? No strong feelings on down vs synthetic, 3 quarters vs full mat etc etc??
shaun26 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Twinkle: I like my Alpkit Slim Airic regular length inflating mat (if they're still in stock). Would recommend that for £25

Down is lighter but rubbish if it get wet and is a huge pain to wash yourself, that said I wouldn't change my down bag for anything
 Iain Thow 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Twinkle:
Mountain Equipment Starlight 2 would do the job well & good value at about £70. For down I still think rab rules ok - I spent nearly 2500 nights in my Ladakh 600 (all seasons, all weathers & 4 continents) & it was comfortable in everything. as for mats, I use a Thermarest myself, but it doesn't inflate as fast as it used to and it's getting difficult to eradicate the smell! At the place I work (safariquip.co.uk) we've just got in some Exped Sim Light mats, which are lighter & inflate faster & I'm contemplating moving to these.
Iain
 SFM 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Twinkle:

Have a wee look through here. Maybe your question has already been answered

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=11&dates=0&n...
 richiegarside 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Twinkle:

PHD are having their Winter sale. The Minim 300 may be what your looking for.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/index.php?cPath=101&osCsid=a8827cfe2fae19912...

Rich
 thin bob 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Twinkle:
decathlon also hav e own-brand self inflating mats. not lightweight like thermarest etc, comparable price to Alpkit.

maybe it's not relevant to wherer you're going, but might you be better off with a puncture proof one?
 galpinos 03 Mar 2009
In reply to richiegarside:

I've got a Mimum 300 with Drishell outer and it's fantastic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...