UKC

OMM Villain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Merlin 06 Mar 2009
This sack looks quite impressive, any other thoughts before I fork out?

How does it feel with large loads ie winter climbing gear?

Also can I buy the Multi Sport Compressor as a seperate piece and add it to the older orange version (as I prefer the colour!) or is the newer model much better?

In reply to Merlin: I've got the OMM Jirischanca which is ok to carry when full of winter gear and a rope hanging on the outside. Nice and light, no silly features. Surviived a summer rock climbing and winter climbing season so far without a scratch. A floating (or elasticated) hood would be the only addition I could think of to improve it.
In reply to Merlin: I'd imagine you've seen this:http://www.petesy.co.uk/?p=99

?
ptc 06 Mar 2009
In reply to Merlin:

I was wondering where the visitors were coming from there!

There's an update on the 2009 version with its little tweaks here http://www.petesy.co.uk/?p=1224

It's my favourite all-round mountain pack if I need that much capacity, there's nothing extra and nothing missing.
It's better that the orange one in all but the lid pocket, and the black dyneema does look quite badass.
 vincentvega 06 Mar 2009
In reply to Merlin:

Ive had the Villain msc for a while now. Its seen last and this year (so far) winter seasons, a week over in the Alps, various days hill walking and climbing some mountain routes. And to be fair its brilliant!

Many plus points including:

The comfort when fully loaded
Comfy straps and waist belt
The weight, or lack of it of the pack!
The durability seems great, mine is as good as new still
The hip pockets are really useful
And little additions like the whistle on the chest buckle and the glow in the dark material, could be really useful if needed.

The only cons i can think of are

There are a fair few straps etc. I got rid of the axe attachments straight away as i wouldnt use them.
I would have liked a seperate fastening device, (webbing and buckle) for storing a coiled rope under the lid, like some packs do. Occasionaly i find the rope works its way down the front of the pack! Or maybe thats just my bad packing!!

HTH

Allan

In reply to vincentvega: I guess you could add a small strap yourself? I'm not the biggest fan of the small cord fastening myself. I might add one to my jirischanca
 vincentvega 06 Mar 2009
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

me neither, i did away with that too!!

yeah i might add one this weekend!

Scott K 08 Mar 2009
In reply to Merlin:
I've got the villain and think it's great. The only problem I've found is the lid pocket is not very usable when the pack is very full and it looks a bit untidy. When you unpack it to climb it closes down to a very neat size and sits really well.
OP Merlin 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Merlin:

Does the Villain have a floating lid?
 vincentvega 10 Mar 2009
In reply to Merlin:

no

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...