UKC

socks under rock boots.....whats your verdict?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Does it really ruin the performance of the boot?
 Killianmurphy 12 Mar 2009
In reply to northernmonkey1982:

it depends but personally i think its more of a headgame

i dont notice any difference personally but at the same time i dont feel confident in trying an indoor 6a unless im wearing my technical shoes yet i know full well i can do it in my comfy shoes
 MattT88 12 Mar 2009
In reply to northernmonkey1982: My personal verdict is yes for comfier fitting shoes, but no for tighter fitting shoes. I played around with thin liner socks, but now use tighter shoes so don't use them anymore.
 Al Evans 12 Mar 2009
In reply to MattT88: My feet go sweaty and feel slippy inside the shoes if I don't wear sox.
 d_b 12 Mar 2009

My shoes are fitted for no socks, and the v thin liners ruin performance for me because they are slippery. I'm sure if I bought a boot to fit with a thin cotton or wool sock it would be fine though.

The main downside of not wearing socks for me is that my shoes absolutely stink.
 GrahamD 12 Mar 2009

If your feet would be numb from cold otherwise, socks improve the performance.

For me they make no difference to how I climb 90% of the time except that my feet are comfortable all day. For the remaining 10% I wear tighter boots.
 Joking 12 Mar 2009
In reply to northernmonkey1982: No socks when breaking boots it, then socks as they are coming to the end of their lifespan & there is space where there was previously none!
 Reach>Talent 12 Mar 2009
Depends, I'd probably say socks toward the end of a shoes life but without normally. Although if you have tight shoes and wear socks because it is cold it will cut off the circulation and make things worse, just wear trousers or put on some thermals.
 Andy Hardy 12 Mar 2009

I have narrow low volume feet, so I need to pad out sloppy boots with socks. That said, in the days when I could get a pair to fit me properly I used to dispense with socks - only to find that I was skidding around in pools of foot grease. The attendant smell used to make off duty mortuary technicians wince and so, by and large I find that

1. I climb better wearing socks

and

2. People are more willing to climb with me, when I wear socks
Removed User 12 Mar 2009

Depends upon the type of climbing you're doing and the standard at which you're doing it.

Sometimes the smallest movement between your foot and your rock boot can mean the difference between your foot staying on an edge or not staying on an edge. Same goes for slabs where the sensitivity that is lost through a pair of socks can mean the difference between moving upwards or downwards.
 Monk 12 Mar 2009

I reckon they don't make that much difference if they are thin.

I decide whether or not to wear socks depending on how cold it is - I nearly always wear socks and bigger shoes in winter. In fact I have onsighted sport 7a and climbed V6 in socks and non-technical shoes. Having said that though, I very rarely wear technical shoes anymore and climb most things in Red Chilli spirits, with and without socks. While technical shoes do make a difference, once you have good technique you can apply that technique whatever you are wearing. I doubt that the style of shoes/socks will make much difference on most routes below E1/6a/V2 as long as they are well fitted.
Sarah G 12 Mar 2009
Improves the boot, in my case; no matter how tightly the shoes are laced, the sweat in the shoe inevitably eventually results in the shoe turning on the fott when edging or whatever. Socks not only stop the shoes from being unnacceptably smelly, but keep the shoe in place on the foot.

Sxx
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 12 Mar 2009
In reply to Sarah G:

Succinctly put - and seconded!

Chris
 jkarran 12 Mar 2009

Works fine if there's space. Then again I can climb as hard in my ripped up old pinks as I can in my 'sunday best' so I'm probably not the best judge

jk
Removed User 12 Mar 2009

On very tight precisely fitted shoes, maybe, but I doubt it.

For the other 99.999999999999% of times, no. I like socks in boots unless the weather is very hot. I find the first thing that makes me want to call a halt to a day's cragging are sore toes, partly from pressure, and partly from cold. Socks help a lot.
 Mckenzie 12 Mar 2009

I cant climb with socks in my shoes - simple as that... mind you i only really climb indoors and you get my more precise footwork. But if i was to wear socks (have tried when very cold) my feet are all over the place - not literally - i can still control my feet with socks on but i cant use the edges, toes or heel - useless - only good if your standing on a ladder or equivalent sized holds/rock...
 Ceridwen 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Mckenzie:
> (In reply to northernmonkey1982)
>
> I cant climb with socks in my shoes - simple as that... mind you i only really climb indoors and you get my more precise footwork. But if i was to wear socks (have tried when very cold) my feet are all over the place - not literally - i can still control my feet with socks on but i cant use the edges, toes or heel - useless - only good if your standing on a ladder or equivalent sized holds/rock...

I agree with you about the socks, but really indoor climbing and more precise footwork! Please, have you ever climbed an real stone slab??? Probably not.....
 Monk 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Mckenzie:
>
> I cant climb with socks in my shoes - simple as that... mind you i only really climb indoors and you get my more precise footwork. But if i was to wear socks (have tried when very cold) my feet are all over the place - not literally - i can still control my feet with socks on but i cant use the edges, toes or heel - useless - only good if your standing on a ladder or equivalent sized holds/rock...

Are you serious? How does a pair of socks have that much effect on you?
I suspect you aren't serious. Indoor foot work is way clunkier than anything outdoors - you have big coloured holds to aim for!
 Mckenzie 24 Mar 2009
In reply to Ceridwen:

well yes in fact - regularly... gull bay - quality trad slab

and yes, much more precise in a lot of ways... ok, sometimes not, but many times yes.
 Ceridwen 30 Mar 2009
In reply to Mckenzie: We'll just have to agree to disagree then! Enjoy the sun and get out there, it's really nice at the moment. Another quality trad slab near you is baggy point, some fantastic lines there....
 timjones 30 Mar 2009
> Does it really ruin the performance of the boot?

If only I had the luxury of choice on this one. I can only just get my feet into the largest sizes without socks, climbing with socks isn't an option I have to consider ;(

Ceridwen 30 Mar 2009
In reply to timjones: Don't think your missing out.... I've only tried it once and it was horrible! Never again....
 timjones 30 Mar 2009
In reply to Ceridwen:
> (In reply to timjones) Don't think your missing out.... I've only tried it once and it was horrible! Never again....

It May be so if you're only a fair weather climber

I've had plenty of days when the warmth of a pair of socks would have been very welcome ;(
 Marc C 30 Mar 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs: You're sooo wrong, Chris! And several thousands of us own the evidence
 Enty 30 Mar 2009

It's like putting underpants under cycling shorts...

Enty
 Ceridwen 30 Mar 2009
In reply to timjones:

> It May be so if you're only a fair weather climber
>
> I've had plenty of days when the warmth of a pair of socks would have been very welcome ;(

I am not a fair weather climber, I climb outdoors regularly throughout winter and summer!

When its cold I put leg warmers on and pull them down over my ankles, this not only practical but stylish!
I take my shoes off between climbs, which is also practical as its often muddy and put on warm socks and shoes. If I am half way up a cliff and not climbing the leg warmers can be pulled right over the climbing shoe until its my turn to climb.

I think socks in shoes are horrible because they reduce sensitivity, in comfy shoes they feel insecure and in technical shoes they are too tight....

But hey if you like them, fair enough.... horses for courses
 Gav M 30 Mar 2009

I usually wear socks. They stop the midges from biting my ankles.
 mikeryder 30 Mar 2009

cold outdoor days- socks and no bllody shame in it, i like my toes

warm outdoor days, indoors- no socks...simple!
 jon 30 Mar 2009

...'course Al will tell you about wearing them over his boots...
 Al Evans 31 Mar 2009
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs) You're sooo wrong, Chris! And several thousands of us own the evidence

You are sooooooo absolutely right Chris, we could both name drop sock wearers till the cows come home, its obviously just personal preference.
 Al Evans 31 Mar 2009
In reply to jon: You've read my Dovedale Groove story then

Can't be doing with 'em. My feet ruin the performance of the boot enough without adding socks into the mix.
 JamesO!? 31 Mar 2009

When I have new(ish) shoes I never wear socks, as they get old and stretch, I find socks help make them seem the right size again. this is only with old shoes though. IMHO the fit is more important than a bit of cotton between your skin and the leather inner
 jon 31 Mar 2009
In reply to JamesO!?:
>
IMHO the fit is more important than a bit of cotton between your skin and the leather inner

I'd keep that to yourself.

TradSimon 31 Mar 2009
In reply to northernmonkey1982: Nobody seems to have mentioned wearing socks OVER your rockboots?
 jon 31 Mar 2009
In reply to TradSimon:
> (In reply to northernmonkey1982) Nobody seems to have mentioned wearing socks OVER your rockboots?

Yes I did - that's what sparked Al into life...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...