UKC

NEWS: Boulderer "Lucky to be alive" After Rescue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Mar 2009
[Ema showing some fancy footwork on Warm Up Slab, Angel Bay, V0+ *, 4 kb]In late February Simon Williams slipped while bouldering at the coastal venue of Angel Bay, North Wales, breaking his femur and knocking himself unconscious.
Local paper The Daily Post reports that "His leg got trapped below the tide line and rescuers who freed him said he was lucky to be...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=46453
 Owen W-G 12 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Not belittling the poor man's injury, but the headline writer is inviting ridicule.
 UKB Shark 12 Mar 2009
In reply to Owen W-G:

We are all lucky to be alive
 brieflyback 12 Mar 2009
In reply to Owen W-G:

Why? 'Lucky to be Alive' is in quotes. Quotes from his rescuers as taken by the Daily Post. Quotes reflect their opinion rather than fact.

Anyway, if I was trapped on a beach below the tide line with a broken leg, then I'd be a bit concerned for my safety!
 jkarran 12 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Ah the joys of seaside bouldering.

Some of my favorite problems are in a secluded cave that floods on the tide so you have to wade out. In there alone on a dark winters night is not the time to incapacitate yourself!

jk
 osh 12 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News: It does make you think. I went to Angel Bay once, and got to agree that some of the top outs are a little hairy, especially Chaos Emerald Crack (though I may have been doing it wrong). Brilliant problems though!
I am Simon Williams, just to clear everything up, i was near the top of a bouldering problem about a V3 and was holding a sketchy limestone flake, pulled on it and it came away in my hand, i fell about 15ft missed my mat and as a result smashed my femer into 5 different parts, i also hit my head as i landed later having 18stiches.

I am lucky they found me, but i was not in imediate danger as i had made sure of the tides before climbing. However due to the nature of the terian i had to be airlifted by a RAF Seaking, and a coast gauard cliff rescue team, which my father happens to be a member.

Any question feel free to ask me!!!
In reply to Triggerhappyteacher:

> Any question feel free to ask me!!!

are you really a trigger happy teacher?
 Jack Geldard 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Triggerhappyteacher: Hi Simon,

Glad you made it out okay.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Jack
 Nic 13 Mar 2009

Please tell me you don't teach English?!
 Dom Whillans 13 Mar 2009
ouch on the femur front! assuming its defo your round for a long time amongst your dad and his mates?
In reply to Nic: no i teach science and music im also dyslexic
In reply to Dom Whillans: Smashed unto close to my hip and just abovemy knee i have a metal bar from my knee to my hip, with two screw in my knee a plate half way up my leg and a 5ince screw into my hip, (it hurts lots)

FrankKroner 16 Mar 2009
Good recovery to you!
I broke my femur (one break in the middle) three years ago while bouldering in the climbing centre falling on a big mat. You just have to do it right. Rescue was a luckily a lot easier (esp. as the guy I was bouldering with was a radiologe of the uni klinik near by ) got the nail in same night and next day the nurse said. please stand up. haha physicly possible though....
Had 6 weeks stationary recovery program with aqua gym, massages and so on and could toprope after 4 weeks and walk probably after 6 so its not the worst thing as long as you dont break a joint.
3 month after in bleau and starting slacklining.... so wont take long before your re fit again.
you can do everything with the nail and taking it out takes 3 days in hospital after 1.5 years.
I m using the nail now to thread my highlines..... quite useful titan tool ;O)
good recovery and do all the physiotherapy u can get!
still lucky u didnt cut the main blood vessels with the bone pieces otherwise it would have been over quite soon.
cheers from rainy glasgow
Frank

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...