UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Soloing Washington Column

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 12 Mar 2009
[North Dome and Washington Column, 4 kb]Karl Baba describes a scary solo ascent of Washington Column Direct in Yosemite.

"Foolish solo manoeuvres are often inspired by some relationship angst. Scaring the crap out of yourself cuts through layers of pettiness to the core of our existence. This was one of those "girlfriend solos"...

...I prayed, repented, and did feverish incantations; then I placed the brass nut in a crack and hand-over-handed down the webbing to its end, which was still 22 feet over the ledge. I found a stance on a tiny foothold. I was still too far above the ledge to jump..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1737

brieflyback 12 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

Another brilliant piece. Pace yourselves lads!

I've had climbing nightmares that are substantially less scary than that.
 jl100 12 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Great article. This and the brilliant Godfather one in a few days! keep up the good work.
 Astral Highway 12 Mar 2009

This is very high quality writing and a scary story brilliantly told. Well done.
 hwackerhage 12 Mar 2009

Great article. Unfortunately too many soloists die sooner or later and one can see why.
 Will Hunt 13 Mar 2009
That's nuts.
 James Oswald 13 Mar 2009
Awesome!
James
 mikelaing 21 Mar 2009

I climbed this route in May 2006. The quality of the granite is just as Karl describes; lose and sketchy. Also, the route is long and steep in it's second half and not the type of place I'd want to be soloing. Whilst I'd not recommend Karl's style of ascent, I really enjoyed reading his article for its own worth and for the memories it jogged.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...