UKC

hard shell pants?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balongworth 15 Mar 2009
Hello all, Im looking for some hard shell pants. At the moment im torn between rab latok alpine and ME kongur pants, does anyone have experience of these or any others for under £150? any info would be grate, Thanks
Removed User 15 Mar 2009
In reply to balongworth:
Hi,
I used my rab alpine pants climbing in alps last summer, lightweight and very breathable (got really warm on gran paradiso), comforable for scrambling and brilliant windproof wise,nothing really bad to say about them so far
sebastian
king_of_gibraltar 15 Mar 2009
In reply to balongworth:

I have the kongour pants, they are super waterproof and hardwearing however they are not the most lightweight of pants.

I've never had the problem of getting too hot in them and in any case they have the side zips for ventilation (which i had never had to use by the way).

They also come with a pair of braces which only ever lasted 2 minutes on them as they are not very easily adjustable and uncomfortable. However you dont need these as the trousers have an elasticated waste and hold up perfectly fine, even when wearing a harness.

Chris.

P.s. This should be in the Gear forum.
 Purple 15 Mar 2009
In reply to balongworth:

I've had three pairs (keep having to return them) of Latok pants and all have leaked catastrophically. Really, really bad. Last Saturday no part of my legs stayed dry. However, I have friends who reckon theirs are OK. Bottom line - inconsistent product. I wouldn't go near another pair unless RAB could give me a very good explanation as to how they've solved this problem.
And if I did get another pair I wouldn't test them by getting wet the day before a wild camp or bivi - I'd make sure I was going to be able to get dry at the end of the day. I rarely contribute to these things but my Latok pants were so pitifully bad, I thought I'd say my piece. So far my new Lowe Alpine pants with braces seem great.
OP balongworth 15 Mar 2009
In reply to Elprup: well thanks everyone, i think im going to go with the kongurs.
 Merlin 15 Mar 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Don't do it. When you're not wearing them you'll be pissed at how much room they take up in your pack and how heavy they are. Get something lightweight.
 GarethSL 16 Mar 2009
In reply to balongworth:
i agree with merlin i have a pair of MHW cohesion pants that are fantastic, best you go soft shell and get a decent pair of lightweight over-trousers for when they're needed.
ice.solo 16 Mar 2009
In reply to balongworth:

TNF icicle salopettes.
unless youre not into salopettes, these are awesome - one of the best bits of gear i own. proshell 2 layer, very light (less than most pants), well vented with the big rainbow zip and the DWR is impressive even after a season on solid use alpine, XC and ice climbing.
downside is they cant just be taken off without also removing whatevers on top (the suspenders are are not detatchable like the mammut ones).

ive added cord for footloops so dont need a gaiter unless the snows deep.
custardtart 23 Mar 2009
In reply to balongworth: I own both, the Kongur is my staple as it's much harder wearing than the Latok. I find the braces great, no probs at all with them.

The Latok's are extremely light and nice to wear as well, you won't go wrong with either but I tend to use the Latok's where the going is a little easier on the fabric.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...