UKC

OI NEWS: Major New Bouldering Centre Comes To West Yorks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 17 Mar 2009
[The Depot, 2 kb]The Depot, a major new bouldering centre is due to open its doors to the public at the beginning of April. Based in Pudsey, West Yorkshire in a fully refurbished 1920's "art-deco" style bus depot, it offers climbers in the area a world-class indoor climbing experience in a unique and attractive setting.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=1745
 lummox 17 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Dave and others I`ve talked to have been very excited about The Depot- looks like the wall of choice for next winter...
 idiotproof 17 Mar 2009
In reply to lummox:

How many new walls and especially bouldering walls before we reach saturation point.... seems to be a new one every month.

Not that I am complaining!
 andy 17 Mar 2009
In reply to idiotproof:
> (In reply to lummox)
>
> How many new walls and especially bouldering walls before we reach saturation point.... seems to be a new one every month.
>

It worries me a bit (especially given the state of the economy) - I assume the costs of running these places must be fairly high with insurance, heating lighting etc, so the thinner the spread of (increasingly skint) punters the more they'll struggle.

lummox 17 Mar 2009
In reply to andy: Two in a place the size of Leeds wouldn`t seem unsustainable tho ?
 andy 17 Mar 2009
In reply to lummox: Dunno - there weren't any til a few weeks ago!
 Jon Jones 17 Mar 2009
In reply to andy:

heating?? no wall I go to spends on heating :oP
 Chris F 17 Mar 2009
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to andy) Two in a place the size of Leeds wouldn`t seem unsustainable tho ?
Especially as this one is equally placed between Leeds and Bradford, plus easy access from M62 and North of City. Wish it had been there 10 years ago, as I would have driven past it on my daily commute.
 brieflyback 17 Mar 2009
In reply to Jon Jones:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> heating?? no wall I go to spends on heating :oP

You're right. It talks about a 'heated sitting area' in the cafe...not the whole thing...

Looks nice. And is actually relatively handily placed for me.
 MeMeMe 17 Mar 2009
In reply to Chris F:

And it's only 5 minutes walk from my house.
I knew moving to Pudsey would pay off eventually!
 steve taylor 17 Mar 2009
In reply to idiotproof:
> (In reply to lummox)
>
> How many new walls and especially bouldering walls before we reach saturation point.... seems to be a new one every month.
>
> Not that I am complaining!

If people start building them in other parts of the country it would be good - with the exepction of Bristol and Surrey, they are all very much "up north".

Come on - Dorset desperately needs something like this. The sun doesn't shine all of the time, and even when it is sunny, it's dark at night.
rehab21 17 Mar 2009
In reply to steve taylor: Compare "I knew moving to Pudsey would pay off" with "they're all very much 'up north'".

The mountains never moved to Mohammed, Mohammed moved to the mountains. Seems this remains true even if you're talking about mini-mountain sports that are held indoors...
 heidavey 17 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Looks great. Can't wait to check it out.
 threepeaks 18 Mar 2009
In reply to lummox: Be excited, be very excited!
 Mattyk 27 Mar 2009
In reply to MeMeMe: where do you live? i'm buying ahouse 5 mins walk from the depot.. very excited!
 MeMeMe 27 Mar 2009
In reply to Mattyk:
> (In reply to MeMeMe) where do you live? i'm buying ahouse 5 mins walk from the depot.. very excited!

Just off Cemetery road (the Richardshaw lane end).

Where you moving to?
 Mattyk 27 Mar 2009
In reply to MeMeMe: Just off Bradford road, stanningley.. perhaps 2 minutes walk might be more accurate.. opposite the thornhill pub. Assuming nothing goes wrong!

I think i'm going to enjoy it there. Do you think the area is ok? any recomendations. i went out for a few beers and it seemed pretty good.
 MeMeMe 27 Mar 2009
In reply to Mattyk:
> (In reply to MeMeMe) Just off Bradford road, stanningley.. perhaps 2 minutes walk might be more accurate.. opposite the thornhill pub. Assuming nothing goes wrong!

Good luck, good time to be buying I think.

> I think i'm going to enjoy it there. Do you think the area is ok? any recomendations. i went out for a few beers and it seemed pretty good.

I quite like the area, my street is nice and quiet. I don't really go out in Pudsey though, tend to meet up with friends in town so don't really have any good recommendations I'm afraid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...