UKC

NEWS: Backdale Victory (Longstone Edge)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john horscroft 18 Mar 2009
This is hot off the press, so I know absolutely no details, but I've just heard that the Court of Appeal has found for the PDNPA in the Backdale case.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

jh

UKC Staff Edit:

NEWS PAGE:http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=46548
 toad 18 Mar 2009
In reply to john horscroft:
yeha, he says more cautiously. If this is the case, what other options are available to the quarry owners? Lords?

Wow, what great news! ... but I haven't had an email from the PDNPA about it yet (I'm on their mailing list), let's hope there are no further snags.

Email has just arrived this moment from the PDNPA. The 3 court of appeal judges have unanimously overturned the previous High Court decision. Although they've rejected an application by the landowner, Bleaklow Industries, for permission to appeal to the House of Lords, 'the possibility of an appeal can still not be ruled out'.

Chris the Tall 18 Mar 2009
Brilliant news - 3-0 eh, always felt that that first judge had to be a lone maverick to hand down such an outrageous judgement.

Unfortunately I doubt if that will be the end of it and the PDNPA will probably still end up paying the lawndowner off, but at least we don't have might avoid what would be an appalling precedent
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Morning all! Lovely day!! Just spoken to the oracle that is the Henry. While we don't know the details yet, it looks as thought he Court of Appeal broadly agrees with the Inspector at the public enquiry. The decision was unanimous and right of appeal to the House of Lords was refused, although that could still happen. There's also the European Court to think about, but Mr Harpley will ahev to have very deep pockets if he takes it that far.

in the fianl analysis, the news is as good as we could have hoped for so -

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa

jh

And here's the press release from the PDNPA:

The Court of Appeal has upheld the Peak District National Park Authority’s enforcement action to control limestone quarrying at Backdale on Longstone Edge.

This is a significant milestone in a long drawn out legal process.

The Authority, together with the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, had appealed against a ruling last year by the High Court. This had overturned a planning inspector’s decision, following a public inquiry in 2007, to uphold the Authority’s enforcement action.

Since then, significant limestone extraction has continued at Backdale, which in the Authority’s view contravenes the 1952 planning permission and harms the national park landscape and environment.

This week (March 18) three Court of Appeal judges ruled unanimously that the High Court decision should be overturned. They re-instated the planning inspector’s ruling and confirmed that only a very limited amount of limestone is allowed to be removed off site and sold in the course of extracting fluorspar - the primary mineral named in the 1952 planning permission.

Authority chair Narendra Bajaria said: “We very much welcome this decision - for three senior judges to uphold the Authority’s enforcement action gives great support to our case. We are particularly pleased that this judgment is a result of a joint appeal with the Secretary of State.

“We are extremely grateful to the public for their support and to a national coalition of environmental and community groups who are working alongside us to try to achieve a permanent solution to the problems at this site.

“We all now expect the minerals operator, MMC Midlands Limited, to work in accordance with the judges’ ruling and comply with the inspector’s interpretation of the planning permission.”

Although the Court of Appeal rejected an application by the landowner, Bleaklow Industries Ltd, for permission to appeal to the House of Lords, the possibility of an appeal can still not be ruled out.

Presumably the PDNPA will now slap Bleaklow with another stop/enforcement order ? Or does the previous one suddenly come back to life ?
 seagull 18 Mar 2009
> (In reply to john horscroft)
>
>
>
> Although the Court of Appeal rejected an application by the landowner, Bleaklow Industries Ltd, for permission to appeal to the House of Lords, the possibility of an appeal can still not be ruled out.

Gotta love the British justice system.

Good news though.

Anonymous 18 Mar 2009
In reply to seagull: http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2009/206.html

Judgement not handed down formally.

MMC / Bleaklow can seek declaration of the terms of the 1952 Permission.

I am unable to see on scanning the judgement that leave to appeal to the HoL has been rejected.

In reply to Anonymous:

Yes, where was the rejection of permission to appeal to the House of Lords. Is that a separate decision in a separate document perhaps?

Hi Chris,

Yes, the stop order has also been upheld. The PDNPA has demanded they stop quarrying.

cheers
j
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

The HL part won't be in the reported judgment, Gordon. There'll be a tape and if it goes further a transcript, but such matters aren't usually dealt with in the reported judgment (any more than eg costs are, unless there's some specific point of general interest about costs taken).

Good news, and just goes to show what I know, since from reading the first judgment fairly casually I thought the appeal would fail.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Ah, thanks for clarifying that, John. I imagine that any attempt to take it to the House of Lords now would be somewhat forlorn. ?
 sutty 18 Mar 2009

I was just going to have a rant at the mods for pulling the thread then found it has been upgraded to news, phew.
In reply to sutty:

Oh yes. Your roving reporter signing off. Hi Ho Silver, away!!

jh
 toad 18 Mar 2009
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> I was just going to have a rant at the mods for pulling the thread then found it has been upgraded to news, phew.

off topic, but relevant. The BMC and UKC symbols are so alike, I hadn't noticed.

on topic
I really hope these people aren't paid off. I think there is a role for compensation to stop legitimate but damaging mineral extraction (I've seen it done to good effect on 3 or 4 peat milling sites), but the point of this court action was that it wasn't legitimate.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth & Toad:
The possibility of dragging this on through the Lords will be one of the bargaining chips Bleaklow will use against the PDNPA. No doubt they'll bleat about job losses etc.

Having read the judgement (suprisingly interesting, well for an ex law student anyway) there is still the possibility that MMC could continue to blast away on the pretext of looking for flurospar, just as long as they don't remove too much limestone from the site. Somewhat hampered by the fact they they aren't doing anything with the flurospar, but again, another bargaining chip.

It will really stick in my gut if these guys are paid off, but in the long term it might be the most pragmatic approach.

Anyone know about award of costs ? Or whether they are still not paying aggregate and other taxes ? Whether they are now liable for the restitution of the land to it's rightful state ?
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to seagull) http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2009/206.html
>
> Judgement not handed down formally.
>

Cheers for the link

Quite refreshing to read judges speaking in relatively clear English and making sense.

"The permission granted was a measured attempt to permit extraction of fluorspar, a valuable mineral, in a National Park. It permitted the extraction of limestone on defined terms. The permission was not intended to, and did not, allow the large scale commercial removal of limestone extracted in the course of winning fluorspar, or permit such removal as long as there was an "operational nexus" between the winning and working of fluorspar and the removal of limestone."

Let's hope that part of the deal paying them off will be that they will have to restore the land to a 'rightful state'.
 Botion 18 Mar 2009
In reply to john horscroft: Well this has just been the cherry on top of my afternoon cake! Glad to see that at last to see some progress in resolving the mess up there, and lets hope that further action is taken to ensure it can never start up or happen again.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Mar 2009

.... as if that has ever happened in the history of the Peak!

Chris
 Lurkio 18 Mar 2009

Excellent news, thanks
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Mar 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:

There is a plaque on Long Rake that explains it was worked for a 1000 years (or some such) and when it was final exhausted it was filled in and this was paid for using public funds - a bloody disgrace!

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:
Bloody Normans, come over here, steal our limestone......
 icnoble 18 Mar 2009
In reply to john horscroft: Assuming that the quarrying is stopped does this means it can be turned into a sports climbing crag?
 Simon 18 Mar 2009
In reply to icnoble:
> (In reply to john horscroft) Assuming that the quarrying is stopped does this means it can be turned into a sports climbing crag?

doubtfull - if of course you were being serious.

Excellent result for all involved & well done for everyones efforts & hard work.

Not wanting to sound like a Victor Meldrew - I'm just feeling a sense of deja-vu - and I'm not sure we sould all be back slapping too much just yet.

This issue has been going on for a very long time and I doubt this will be the end to it by a long chalk. Whilst sense has finally prevailed on this issue - let us hope that it continues to do so.

Si
 Chris the Tall 19 Mar 2009
In reply to icnoble:
> (In reply to john horscroft) Assuming that the quarrying is stopped does this means it can be turned into a sports climbing crag?

Apparently the rock is low quality and very fractured (hasn't stopped Gary in the past!) and is unlikely to be any use for climbing. Plus I believe modern quarry methods aren't as kind to climbers as in the past. I suspect the best plan would be backfilling, landscaping and then leaving it to the wildlife to reclaim

The low quality of the rock was one of the many annoying aspects of this case - I think it was worse something like at £7 a ton - and of course they couldn't sell the flourospar at all. Given that the quarry was barely viable economically, you have to assume that the main reason they were extracting so much was simply to cause sufficient nuisance value that they would be paid off

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...