UKC

crux bomb or crux storm....decisions decisions.........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peakpaul 18 Mar 2009
Help me choose please. Bomb is half a kilo heavier but that extra porch space is great. Storm looks like it will cope with strong winds better. Whats it to be??

Cheers,
Paul
chickenpox 18 Mar 2009
In reply to peakpaul: Depends what you typically do when camping. If you go to campsites then the extra room is probably best as the weight is not an issue. If you are hauling it up mountains and camping on summits then you really don't want to be carrying much extra weight.

They are both great tents so up to what you do, what prices are you finding?
OP peakpaul 18 Mar 2009
In reply to chickenpox:

Well, my plan is to maybe get the bomb for now as its first big outing is an upcoming trip to Ladakh (although it will be used for various other things before that) then in the future invest in the storm flysheet that will give a choice of options.

Was tempted with another Ultar Quasar but I think the extra porch space on the bomb outweighs the extra smaller porch. Could be wrong though.

Not checked prices too closely yet but I know neither option is a bargain!
 Caralynh 19 Mar 2009
In reply to peakpaul:

Go direct to Crux and get the Bomb, but with the spare Storm flysheet. Then you have both tents and can mix and match. Only thing is that you'll have a slightly heavier Storm than usual because you'll have a 100% bombproof groundsheet.

I went for this option and haven't regretted it
 KA 19 Mar 2009
In reply to Caralynr: Could you not get the Storm, and spare Bomb flysheet and pole? Would that even work?
OP peakpaul 19 Mar 2009
In reply to Caralynr:

Thanks for that. Really useful info - I hadn't realised the bomb and storm inner use a different weight groundsheet fabric.

Do you find the bomb stands up well to full on conditions? The front porch end profile looks quite flat which would seem like it would be quite a windcatcher.

Cheers,
Paul
 Caralynh 20 Mar 2009
In reply to peakpaul:

It's been fine, to be honest. In fact the front, when guyed properly, is probably more stable in the Bomb because of the extra pole. I've been in it when it's swayed and flapped a bit, but it's never collapsed. Nearest to disaster was leaving it at the Vaynol unguyed (it was calm when I pitched and I thought it would be OK with just pegs, or maybe I had 2 guys on, can't remember) and finding it perfectly intact, but upside down, across the field! Being semi geodesic, it didn't collapse or lose shape.
The groundsheet I have is brilliant. I've camped on a swamp (North Lees after heavy rain) and not one leak, despite it sinking when being walked on!
OP peakpaul 20 Mar 2009
In reply to Caralynr:

Many thanks. Think I'll go with the bomb initially and get a storm fly sometime in the future. Your info was a great help.

Cheers,
Paul
almost sane 21 Mar 2009
In reply to peakpaul:
What are you going to do in Ladakh?

If you are going to have your gear carried by ponies, you could get away fine with a much cheaper tent. There are some very strong tents that have oodles of space, but are a lot cheaper because they don't use ultra-light ultra-strong fabrics.

For example, any of the Wild Country range, or you should be able to get a Jack Wolfskin Tundra 3 for under £150 if you shop around. These tents are all good and strong. I have led a trip to Spiti and a trip to Zanskar (both very similar to Ladakh) where we all had Wild Country tents and we were fine. We had a mix of Wild Country Llanos, Q2 and Venturi tents, and they were all great.

If you will be in the tent for a good few days, consider getting a tent rated one person more than is inhabiting it. This will give you a lot more comfort room. A big porch is also handy for sorting through gear, or having tea / playing cards with other folks.

Your tent wear issues in Ladakh are likely to be uv and abrasion. It is high and sunny, of course, and that eats into modern fabrics.
And it is desert or semi-desert, so you need to be aware of the possibility of sandstorms. Also, you are likely to camp on hard and/or stony ground. So your tent will suffer - another reason for buying a cheaper tent.

I would also recommend you get some pegs you can hammer in, and a hammer to bash them in with. I got the Alpkit spikes http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16258&... though the new titanium ones look even better http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16373&...

Other tips to help you have a comfy trip (for the part where your gear is carried by ponies):
Buy a really thick sleeping mat. As I said, much of the ground is hard and stony, and a three inch thick sleeping mat like http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16215&... or the exped down mat makes a world of difference.
I used a closed cell foam groundsheet protector. This not only protected the groundsheet, it also protected my knees as I wandered round my tent looking for socks or whatever. And it added a bit more warmth. It can get hot during the day, and very cold at night.

I hope you have a great trip.
OP peakpaul 25 Mar 2009
In reply to almost sane:

Thanks for all that info. Really useful. I am leading a trip to do Kang Yatse. Have you been to Yatse? Any other tips gratefully received.

I appreciate your comments about the Crux tents being overkill for this trip but its really for this trip plus a load of other stuff I have coming up. Having said that I might just take my trusty Voyager now as I don't mind if it gets trashed - a Crux is still on the list though!

I will probably take an Exped down mat which should give plenty of comfort. Tough pegs is a good idea too - thanks.

Cheers,
Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...