UKC

Footwear for Nepal trekking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JRNegus 26 Mar 2009
I am off to Nepal to do some trekking in September/October, booked on to do the AP circuit, and was wondering what were the most suitbale boots. We climb to an altitude of around 5000m - but not sure about snow, ice etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Nim 26 Mar 2009
In reply to JRNegus: Contact the guide company you have booked with - they'll be able to tell you what to take. I did the Annapurna Sanctuary and just wore regular walking boots, but there was no snow when I did it (Christmas). Alternatively, guide books should offer advice on conditions on the AC at different times of year.
BenP 26 Mar 2009
In reply to JRNegus:

I normally wear an approach shoe. But whatever you use for walking in the UK should be fine.
 Phil1919 26 Mar 2009
In reply to JRNegus: I just did Sanctuary, but I would be pretty sure walking boots would be fine for circuit. Somone will come up with answer based on experience soon!
m0unt41n 26 Mar 2009
In reply to JRNegus: Its a well made path all the way round which 3 season boots are fine for (Meindl Magic Med or High or similar) Throng La pass depends upon weather at the time, usually snow but if in the peak seaon there will be a well trodden path. It will be cold so 3/4 season boots might be a bit better and thick socks for the pass. Basically whatever you would be happy to walk in England (have not used UK to exclude Scottish conditions)year round would be OK. Its a very easy profile so you acclimatise well, not at all hard, only issue is that you have 2 to 3 weeks continuous walking which can get tiring (physically and mentally) if you are not use to that.
 Boulton 30 Mar 2009
In reply to JRNegus:

Or alternately, make like a porter and wear flip flops! I actually saw this when I was doing the route last October, they must have been carrying at least 25-30kg.

If you have a heavy pack I'd go with a reasonably lightweight 3-season boot, otherwise a hiking shoe would be fine. Warm clothing is very important, it gets very cold at night from around Manang onwards (assuming you're doing the circuit counter clockwise).
 rupes4india 01 Apr 2009
In reply to JRNegus: I took a 6th Form group on the Anapurna Circuit about 4 years ago. You could do it in a pair of approach shoes as it is solid underfoot just about the whole route. We did it Jul/Aug (saw no other groups - but views not so good). Things like sweets/choc bars, soft drinks and bottled water very expensive, particularly higher up. We camped the whole route but the hostel stops are not bad. Black tea very cheap and refreshing and there is beer nearly all the way round. As the guy said take something warm to wear for nights and early morning starts. Are you going with a Tour Company? Some of the walk days are quite short so use the daylight hours in full and take your time. The Nepalese are wonderful and friendly people (I used to be a officer in the Gurkhas).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...