UKC

Red River Gorge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 31 Mar 2009
[Miguel's Pizza has been called The Camp 4 of the East., 3 kb]What are the world’s best sport-climbing areas? Ceuse, Rodellar, Kalymnos … Europe’s famous limestone cliffs are probably at the top of your list. Ask an American, though, and there’s a good chance he or she will humbly suggest you also include Kentucky’s Red River Gorge in the mix.

The Red, as it’s affectionately known, currently has over 2000 routes about half of them sport. The amount of rock in the area is mind-boggling, as is the pace of development, with new cliffs and hundreds of new routes going up each year.

Dave Pegg's gives us the full low-down on this world class climbing destination...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1761

Morgan Woods 31 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

thanks dave....the area and the guide looks great.

IainSunderland 31 Mar 2009

I'm off there next week for my 3rd trip.Can't wait!
 Jack Geldard 31 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: 'The Red' looks totally amazing. I would love to go there.

Hopefully one day.

Great article, thanks Dave and Kevin. And never mind the climbing I can nearly taste one of those pizzas!

Jack
 jwi 31 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Nice. Just one comment: even though seepage wasn't a problem condensation was when we were there in November. Rainy days where fine, while foggy days where not.
 Stabbsy 02 Apr 2009

Nice to see The Red getting a bit of attention for a change. Can't wait for a 3rd trip after the quality of climbing on the last two. Dave's article only really covers a couple of main areas and there's stacks more to go at at all grades (although the best sport stuff is mainly 5.10 upwards).

Routes like Mercy The Huff (5.12b/F7b) at Left Flank, Steelworker (5.12c/F7b+) at Torrent Falls and Orange Juice (5.12c/F7b+) at Funk Rock City are amongst the best routes I've done anywhere at the grade. In the easier grades, King Me (5.11b/F6c) at Skybridge Ridge is close to perfect.

As for the wishlist, it grows ever longer when I see the pictures in the new guide. Table of Colors and Stunning The Hog at Left Flank, BOHICA and Team Wilson at The Motherlode, a visit to The Dark Side - all things that are likely to mean that my next trip to the States won't get me any further west than Lexington.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...